You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 14, 2018 3:31 pm

New Historian
Active

Hot nights in Kampala

In 1999, within just 2 days’ notice I learned that I was due to travel to Uganda for a two-week trip. The only problem was, there was a huge AIDS conference in the capital Kampala that week, and it was virtually impossible to get flights or a hotel room. I went anyway. After a bunch of cattle class flights I finally got to Kampala, via Kigali and Bujumbura, but I still had no confirmed hotel booking. In the morning I arrived I rocked up at the Sheraton Hotel, where the clerk said sorry, but they had not had any cancellations, and I had to look for a room elsewhere. In those days there weren’t any other international-standard hotels in Kampala besides the Sheraton and one or two others, all of which were full. We got into a taxi: it was time to go downtown.

I was with a very gay consultant called Juan-Carlos who was in the same predicament as me, and while I had nothing against the chap I didn’t fancy the idea of sharing a bed in some downtown hovel with him! A taxi driver took us on a tour of Kampala’s low-budget hotels, to no avail. As we descended further into the grimier regions of Kampala, the sight of two sweating mzungus (foreigners, usually white) in suits getting out of the taxi had people shaking their heads in disbelief: you want to stay … HERE?

But even those establishments were full. By six o’clock in the evening we’d been tramping around Kampala all day, luggage in tow, and still found nothing. Then, in the nick of time, one of the mid-level hotels called us back to say they had one un-air conditioned room we could share, and we grabbed it. And it had two beds. The place was overrun with giant mosquitoes the size of a baby’s fist, with a toilet that only the brave dared to tread and a "view" that consisted of a brick wall three feet away - we won't even talk about the food. We spent three hot muggy nights there. Finally the conference ended and we could move into the Sheraton – phew.

Last edited by New Historian (Sep 14, 2018 4:01 pm)

#2 Sep 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Hot nights in Kampala

So, did you play for any other teams while you were away?    smile

#3 Sep 14, 2018 7:13 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Hot nights in Kampala

What happens in Kampala..... smile

#4 Sep 15, 2018 9:43 am

Expat