You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 14, 2018 5:50 pm

New Historian
Active

Even I will say this one is lame

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45527465

Oh he harassed some girl in high school - EVERY boy harasses girls in high school lol!!

#2 Sep 15, 2018 11:30 am

gripe
Active

Re: Even I will say this one is lame

You are wrong, NH. You cannot anoint yourself with the privilege to make such an outrageous, unprovable statement that "EVERY boy harasses girls in high school lol!!" I did not! Also, it is NOT a laughing matter when such behavior occurs, especially the type of which Judge Kavanaugh stands accused. 

You likely would have had a more defensible argument focused on the time that has passed since the alleged event, raising concerns that there may be some other motivation for the now-surfaced allegation. But, even that angle may prove problematic if the events did occur and the victim, for all these years, just tried to deal with the situation. I, though, am not a fan of that approach to any such issue since I believe in resolving issues as quickly as possible.

#3 Sep 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45527465

Oh he harassed some girl in high school - EVERY boy harasses girls in high school lol!!

I guess it depends on what you interpret harassing as being. A drunken grope with the potential for it to have been much worse is NOT harassment in my mind. It is abuse.

We have still to find out if it is a politically "convenient" accusation, or if it is true.

#4 Sep 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It is an unsubstantiated claim by an anonymous person who won't say anything more about something that allegedly happened 37 years ago when they were both minors.  She has produced nobody who remembers her talking about it at the time or since.  This is just out of the blue and Kavanaugh categorically denied it happened.

In other words this is just an anonymous claim that could have been made by anyone as a political hack job about something that happened before half of Americans were even born and when he was a minor.

Are we supposed to make major decisions based on unsubstantiated claims from anonymous sources?  What would the world look like if we did?

#5 Sep 15, 2018 7:23 pm

gripe
Active

RD, I wish to make the following comments:

1. Do you know whether Judge Kavanaugh and his accuser (who is anonymous to the public but not to those to whom she sent her letter and may have read it) were both "minors" at the time of the alleged incident? Please note that the "age of majority" -- when a person becomes an adult -- in Maryland is eighteen (18) years. See, https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2 … ection-24/   

If Judge Kavanaugh and his accuser were both seniors, in 12th grade, at the time, and were both 18 years, then they were not "minors". Also, we do not know if any of them were "emancipated" -- they had jobs and were supporting themselves, and were 18, at the time of the incident -- which would qualify them as adults and not minors.

2. From the comments I've seen, only you and NH seem to think that the allegations may not be that serious. NH dismisses it altogether as something that "EVERY boy" does; what unfounded ridiculousness! NH also did not even care, with that mindset, to consider the possibility that the allegations are true. You, though, RD, hinted, properly, about the need for scrutiny of the allegations given possible questionable motives -- "a political hack job" -- and the broader concern that that is not what our world needs.   

3. What do we really need in a situation, an environment, where accusations can be given life after being dormant for, as is said in the Caribbean, "donkey years"?

There is the need to investigate the allegations and put them to bed if they are proven false. Or, if there is merit, apply the statute of limitations (SOL) dictates to end the effort to pursue any claim or charges after so many years. (But, I have not heard many people here expressing those concerns for Mr. Cosby, for example.)

Fairness should be our goal. The world needs much more of that approach to our existence, lest we turn so easily on each other at times that we choose if the conditions are right for our side with support from those in authority. To the most brazen, those who don't have the authorities on their side, their motive may be simply to cause harm and embarrassment to the accused. Either of those situations is close to a "dog eat dog" society.

I don't want to be a part of that thinking, or to live that way.

#6 Sep 15, 2018 10:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

1) I read that that if the accusation was true, the judge would have been 17.  I guess I don't know the age of the anonymous accuser.

2) The accusations could be for mass murder and the reality is that they are unsubstantiated, anonymous, whisper-driven accusations.

3) Accusations without evidence made in a way that has political implications need at least some kind of evidence.  There is no evidence here at all.

Now I will ask you a question:  Is this a precedent we want to set?  If you want to derail a career all you need to do is present an unsubstantiated and uncorroborated vile accusation from an unknown, anonymous source?  Just wave the magic wand and the nominee is withdrawn?  No one would ever be appointed again because every nominee would have anonymous accusers. That is madness!

#7 Sep 16, 2018 11:13 am

WH Man
Active

Here are some known facts about Feinstein's letter.

She received that letter in July....months ago.

She interviewed the judge on numerous occasions...…..in her private office, in an open committee hearing involving rounds of questioning, and in a closed door classified setting. She NEVER brought up that allegation during questioning at any time.

This judge has been subjected to 6 FBI background investigations over the past 30 yrs for various Govt. positions he held and as a Federal judge. Evidently information relating to Feinstein's letter never came up, or was disregarded as unsubstantiated if it did.

According to public statements issued by Democratic leader Schumer, the Democrats would go to all ends to derail a nominee that would not advance their political agenda (abortion, gun control) from the bench.

Messrs Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, and Diane Feinstein are disgracing themselves in trying to achieve their objectives. Amazing how low they plan to go !

#8 Sep 16, 2018 2:49 pm

gripe
Active

RD, your last response underscores all that I have said. Read again.

WH Man, you are as dismissive as ever. That is not what fairness and logic require. Conveniently, you left out the reason that Ms. Feinstein gave for the late revelation. Instead, you harped on the idea that the Democrats are being vengeful. What you did diminishes your arguments because you are being selective in your recounting of what the public knows so far about the allegations. Truth means full disclosure, WH Man. Be honest with yourself.

I repeat, read my comments before this one.

#9 Sep 16, 2018 4:02 pm

WH Man
Active

gripe wrote:

RD, your last response underscores all that I have said. Read again.

WH Man, you are as dismissive as ever. That is not what fairness and logic require. Conveniently, you left out the reason that Ms. Feinstein gave for the late revelation. Instead, you harped on the idea that the Democrats are being vengeful. What you did diminishes your arguments because you are being selective in your recounting of what the public knows so far about the allegations. Truth means full disclosure, WH Man. Be honest with yourself.

I repeat, read my comments before this one.

Gripe...

Would you please indicate with specificity the factual inaccuracies in my post.....Thanks.

#10 Sep 16, 2018 4:35 pm

gripe
Active

WH Man, you can try to hide from your statements but they are, because you made them publicly, available for everyone to see. I did not challenge the facts that you mentioned (that tells me that you are somehow confused). 

I maintain that you have been "dismissive" of the allegations. I also stated that you left out the reason for Ms. Feinstein's delay in revealing that she had received the letter.

By the way, one of your and RD's reasons for making light of the allegations was, in your words, the idea that the allegations were "disregarded as unsubstantiated if it did".

You may now know that the accuser has revealed herself: Ms. Ford! She has, according to the reporting, passed a lie detector test. Also, she had reported the incident, years ago, to her therapist!

Does any of those developments give you, and RD, pause to at least reconsider your apparent knee-jerk reactions to the allegations? (I will also reiterate that I do not recall anyone on here voicing similar reservations regarding the long-ago incidents that were the bases for the charges against Mr. Cosby. Do you wish to comment on that?)

Board footer