You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 15, 2018 5:32 am

Calypso
Active

The Black Holocaust No one Speaks About

I've been thinking about Africa lately. Perhaps it's because I want to teach there--perhaps in Kenya or Zanzibar.  I recently met a French couple whose daughter was living in the Congo. I thought about how the evil King Leopold of Belgium extracted the rubber from the country to build his beloved Belgium. He killed some 16 million Africans to get the rubber. He didn't care if they were women and children. He cut off millions of hands and women's breasts in the process. Why do we only promote the Jewish Holocaust? What about these Africans? Don't their lives matter?

#2 Sep 15, 2018 8:35 am

New Historian
Active

Re: The Black Holocaust No one Speaks About

Good points all. King Leopold's Ghost is a harrowing book to read. Congo today is a failed state because of its long history of rape and pillaging of its immense resources. At independence in 62-ish there were less than 100 university graduates, and the CIA, France, Belgium et al continued their exploitation for decades. And people ask why I support reparations.

#3 Sep 15, 2018 9:42 am

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:

I've been thinking about Africa lately. Perhaps it's because I want to teach there--perhaps in Kenya or Zanzibar.  I recently met a French couple whose daughter was living in the Congo. I thought about how the evil King Leopold of Belgium extracted the rubber from the country to build his beloved Belgium. He killed some 16 million Africans to get the rubber. He didn't care if they were women and children. He cut off millions of hands and women's breasts in the process. Why do we only promote the Jewish Holocaust? What about these Africans? Don't their lives matter?

The Jewish Holocaust was in the public eye right left and centre, and the Jewish people made sure it was kept in peoples awarenes..  There were many more Russians killed at that time, but how many people are aware of it....

Most of what happened in Congo, and Africa generally was over there, out of sight, and out of mind.

#4 Sep 15, 2018 11:49 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

The Jewish Holocaust was in the public eye right left and centre, and the Jewish people made sure it was kept in peoples awarenes..  There were many more Russians killed at that time, but how many people are aware of it....

Most of what happened in Congo, and Africa generally was over there, out of sight, and out of mind.

"
Most of what happened in Congo, and Africa generally was over there, out of sight, and out of mind."

It wasn't frigging out of sight! It was up the white man's ass forever. It was ignored because the people were black and were seen as savages and worthless. Damn you!!

#5 Sep 15, 2018 12:19 pm

gripe
Active

Thanks, Calypso. Leopold's murderous atrocities committed against Black Africans have to be brought more openly to the wider public's consciousness.

#6 Sep 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

"
Most of what happened in Congo, and Africa generally was over there, out of sight, and out of mind."

It wasn't frigging out of sight! It was up the white man's ass forever. It was ignored because the people were black and were seen as savages and worthless. Damn you!!

Use half a grain of intellect, and tell me how much YOU know about the World around you even now when there is almost limitless access to news and information if you put yourself to the trouble to find out.

Back in the day, certainly parts of various Governments around the World may have known of what was going on in various places, but jo public... you me and the dog would have known jack.

Exactly the same as far as Britain's general public, who would have been catching they arse in the fields and later in the early factories without the slightest knowledge that abuses were happening over seas.

#7 Sep 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

"

Why was Patrice Lumumba's speech ignored? Didn't the Belgian's massacred millions,  mutilating and hanging the men's genitals on lines like clothes. The genocide in the Congo was more brutal than what the Jews suffered. Although Mr. Lumumba's speech caused him his life, it won the hearts of his people.

Use half a grain of intellect, and tell me how much YOU know about the World around you even now when there is almost limitless access to news and information if you put yourself to the trouble to find out.

Back in the day, certainly parts of various Governments around the World may have known of what was going on in various places, but jo public... you me and the dog would have known jack.

Exactly the same as far as Britain's general public, who would have been catching they arse in the fields and later in the early factories without the slightest knowledge that abuses were happening over seas.

#8 Sep 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Calypso
Active

gripe wrote:

Thanks, Calypso. Leopold's murderous atrocities committed against Black Africans have to be brought more openly to the wider public's consciousness.

Yes, it has to. Although the white man gave the Africans independence, they are still controlling Africa. If a black leader should surface and wants the best for his people, they'll kill him. Coltan, a mineral used use in cell phones is the new money maker. Extracting it causes cancer and Africans are getting cancer.

Last edited by Calypso (Sep 15, 2018 3:02 pm)

Board footer