You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jan 27, 2017 8:49 am

Slice

TWO TOPICES

Listening to GBN this morning, ah heard one of the dumbest soca ever made in the world is now tearing up Trinidad.  How can Ray tay tay tay be tearing  up Trinidad?

So ah stuff me suitcase and also me carry on with with  seasoned  Ahi Tuna.  I was shocked they did not take it from me.  There is nothing you can buy in any supermarket in America that taste that good.

GOSH! BONJAY! lord have mercy, that Tuna is fresh and taste so damn good.

#2 Jan 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Expat

Re: TWO TOPICES

Whether Mya Ray tata, or simply ra ta ta. It is without doubt absolute rubbish. As is the vast majority of current locally produced so called music.

It is just a pulsing garbled load of almost lyric less trash.  A simple formula of repetitive verses. They are a disgrace to the name "music".

Grenadians and it seems also Trinidadians are gullable to soak this crap up. Were this intended for my ears I would feel very short changed.

#3 Jan 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Real Distwalker

Man, if there is one thing I miss about Guam is fresh, huge tuna steaks.  Seared with ginger, soy sauce and sesame. Oh. My. God.

Can't get it like that here.

#4 Jan 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Real Distwalker

Regarding music... You guys approve of this, right? smile

#5 Jan 28, 2017 8:27 am

Slice

But ah wonder why?  Whole Food sell it, they say it is fresh, but it just doh taste the same.

#6 Jan 28, 2017 9:09 am

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:

Regarding music... You guys approve of this, right? smile

The Beatles very often didn't have THAT sophisticate lyric line, despite their universal popularity, but it wasn't the pumping poorly sung gimmicky crap that is presently fed to the local masses. (I was a Stones fan by the way)   smile

I fear it is simply they (Locals to Grenada in particular) have been fed garbage for so long they now just like sucking up garbage. Exposure breeds familiarity.

I am no way suggesting Rock, Country, Pop or any other genre is better. Although I do have my preferences, but they are personal.

I have been acquainted with various forms of West Indian music since the 60's, and liked some, and didn't like others, but the evolution in my humble opinion has been a downward slide, especially here. Combine that with the apparent deafness of both the DJ's and the masses that shuffle behind an ear splitting level of noise on a truck.... even for sporting events, and it is no wonder most conversations here are often done at shouting levels.

I suspect you haven't attended a "Dance" here in Grenada in a long time... if at all. It has me totally bemused. Maybe it is an age thing, I don't know.  But historically Dances, Disco's or what ever you want to call them was about the music, and a DJ embellished it with a little chat, and his skill at running the music together.

Not here. Here a) they deafen you. b) they (the DJ's) are more important than the music, which they jump through in seconds, if not minutes. Rarely finishing a track or anything close to a decent portion of it. It is often poorly sung, poorly orchestrated and then screamed over by a ding bat on a mike.

There are SOME good tracks out there, but they get the same short shrift from the ever important DJ.

#7 Jan 28, 2017 10:01 am

Real Distwalker

That was the last live performance of the Beatles.  It was on a rooftop somewhere in London but not at Abbey Road Studios.   It was impromptu and the spectators are really random people.  In fact, the police are there responding to calls.   It really is an awesome clip.

#8 Jan 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Slice

doh know what to say.  was trying to figure out if because it is fresh it just taste better.  Whole foods have it for $30..00 ah pound and ent taste that good.

#9 Jan 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Slice

Expat wrote:

Whether Mya Ray tata, or simply ra ta ta. It is without doubt absolute rubbish. As is the vast majority of current locally produced so called music.

It is just a pulsing garbled load of almost lyric less trash.  A simple formula of repetitive verses. They are a disgrace to the name "music".

Grenadians and it seems also Trinidadians are gullable to soak this crap up. Were this intended for my ears I would feel very short changed.

Utter rubbish, I agree.

#10 Jan 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Real Distwalker

Slice wrote:

doh know what to say.  was trying to figure out if because it is fresh it just taste better.  Whole foods have it for $30..00 ah pound and ent taste that good.

Here in Iowa, a thousand miles from the nearest ocean, I don't trust any ocean fish that isn't fully cooked and tuna is best seared and raw inside.

sesame-crusted-ahi-tuna.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jan 28, 2017 12:56 pm)

Board footer