You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, the PRG was right. An invasion was coming....

42326717_1081184182039290_7063844209635098624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&oh=9ca182368fd877446674334ff4fb0c1c&oe=5C22CC42

42397514_1081184282039280_4683425110575546368_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=8784d8ebdfaa708ab0d4e4f9f96c4efc&oe=5C249681

#2 Nov 22, 2018 11:15 am

Greenz1983
Active

Re: Well, the PRG was right. An invasion was coming....

Hello Everybody -- thanks New Historian for writing this piece. Happy Day of Thanks to those living in the US.

I have a few questions for the forum:

(1) is anyone here privy to the events on Fort Rupert on 19th October? More specifically, can you speak on activities and individuals situated inside of the Operations Room?

(2) is anyone here a former US military personnel connected to the Grave Unit or know of former soldiers connected to that unit?

(3) any ideas what happened between 19th October - 25th October in Grenada? That period is rather confusing to me. Thank you.

#3 Nov 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't think any of the regulars here were actually at the fort on 10/19/1983.  A lot has been written about that period, however.  It is tough to know what is what without reading everything and coming to your own conclusions.

Greenz, it would be easier if you asked more specific questions.  Your wide open questions like "what happened?" can only be answered by writing a whole book.  People don't really want to do that.  Ask specific questions and I bet you will get a better response.

#4 Nov 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Greenz1983
Active

Thanks RD. I concur -- putting it together requires multiple pieces, like a puzzle.

As for specific questions, I will keep that in mind (thank you), hopefully the first two questions are specific enough for some kind of credible response...I hope.

#5 Nov 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Here is one perspective.  I don't know how much of it is true and how much is revisionism, but parts of it are pretty credible.

https://www.amazon.com/Grenada-Revoluti … 1542657520

#6 Nov 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

This was the gold standard early on.   It would be interesting to cross reference the narrative here with Coard's book.

https://www.amazon.com/Grenada-Untold-G … 0819143103

#7 Nov 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

#8 Nov 22, 2018 1:44 pm

New Historian
Active

Best read of the invasion and its prequel is Mark Adkin's Urgent Fury, I treasure my hardback

#9 Nov 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Greenz1983
Active

I have read the first two, the third is on my booklist to read next ("Operation Urgent Fury").

Thanks!

#10 Nov 26, 2018 4:38 pm

New Historian
Active

Britain was only too glad to rid itself of its cantankerous colonies.  Why go through the trouble and expense of keeping them only to have all their petty little squabbles on your doorstep?  Eric Gairy also wanted independence, but for more sinister reasons.  A lot of people were fearful because independence would take away the British counterbalance to Gairy’s power.  In the run up to independence, Grenada was the only case in the world where there were mass street protests AGAINST independence.  Or at least, independence under Gairy. Throughout 1973 there were increasingly violent confrontations between NJM demonstrators the police and Gairy’s Mongoose Gang, culminating in Grenada’s ‘Bloody Sunday’.   

At a protest meeting in Grenville, Maurice Bishop and five other NJM leaders were beaten beyond recognition by the police.  The beating was ordered and supervised by the police chief of Grenville, the inappropriately-named Inspector Innocent Belmar.  But instead of intimidating the NJM leaders, this simply made them living martyrs.  The incident caused a furore in Grenada and the regional media, and Gairy eventually had to set up a Commission of Enquiry.  In typical fashion, when Inspector Belmar was found culpable and forced to resign from the Police Force, Gairy simply made him Minister of National Security.  Within a few months, yet another Bloody Day occurred, and this time it was Bishop’s father Rupert Bishop who was killed, shot at point blank by the secret police. The stakes had been upped.  Now it was personal.

The anti-government protests intensified.  The Governor resigned and retired to Trinidad; the island was almost ungovernable.  But Britain was not to be deterred.  It was determined to shed itself of this quarrelsome colony, and on 7 February, 1974, Grenada duly became an independent nation, the event occurring in almost total darkness because a general strike had caused islandwide blackouts.  Hardly the country’s proudest moment.

After Independence things settled a bit.  Grenadians just wanted a little peace.  Not that they got much.  In 1976 there was another general election.  Again, despite seeming widespread support for the NJM, Gairy just managed to squeak through.  Another five years of the same.  But some scores had to be settled.

In December 1977, ex-Inspector and now Minister Belmar was washing down his dinner of roast monkey at the roadside Bamboo Bar when a car drove up, two gunman alighted and pumped him full of holes.  A score settled.  The police quickly rounded up the usual suspects and within a few weeks charged two NJM members with the murder of Belmar.  Maurice Bishop leapt to their defence, earning an acquittal in a high-profile trial.  To this day you still hear the question asked in bars and Grenadian living-rooms: who killed Innocent Belmar?

Board footer