You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Oct 02, 2018 11:22 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

An important aspect of any case is MOTIVE: what motive could all these people have to lie, and face perjury charges? Compare that to what motive he would have to lie, and you have a very uneven playing field of motives.

Another one is demeanor: he doesn't have the self control needed of a SC judge.

Offline

#12 Oct 02, 2018 11:25 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

GMW wrote:

Really RD? I seem to remember you holding so-called teenage "thugs" who weren't even vying to be second string grocery baggers to a much higher standard that you're holding your honorable Judge Kavanaugh to right now. Our youth have died for far lesser offenses.

Hmmmn!

I don't know what you are talking about.   It seems like you often confuse me with someone else you debate online.

Offline

#13 Oct 02, 2018 12:17 pm

GMW
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

Uh huh!

I don't remember. No one remembers nutten these days. smile

Offline

#14 Oct 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

Real Distwalker wrote:
New Historian wrote:

But according to RD and the rest of that bunch, it's just youthful high jinks, nothing to prevent him becoming the supreme arbiter of US law.

That is a lie and you know it.  I have said that if he is shown to be guilty he should certainly not be confirmed to the Supreme Court.  Baseless allegations from 30-some years ago, however, are not evidence he is guilty.

Unless you are talking about beer drinking alone, then - yes - that's just youthful highjinks.

We're getting circular now, many say there may be evidence, and that there appears to be evidence... at least with the  check that is going on now the accusations may be put to bed one way or the other. Some seem to think he is guilty regardless, and should be hung by the nust simply for downplaying his youthful binges. and RD says he's as innocent as the driven snow, until some evidence is found, as he doesn't find any of the statements plausible.

I for one found them plausible, but not as yet proven, so under RD's current pedantic stance he is innocent.... but we that have doubts will agree that technically he is innocent, but will be prepared for a change of decision. Rd on the other hand is so convinced none of the accusers are legitimate he will continue to chant the mantra until the bitter end.

Think that sums it up.

Offline

#15 Oct 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

Expat wrote:

Rd on the other hand is so convinced none of the accusers are legitimate he will continue to chant the mantra until the bitter end.

That's not true.  First, I don't know if he is guilty or innocent.  Nobody on this forum knows.  It is unknowable by us.  If evidence that he is guilty appears, I will quickly change my position from "I don't know" to "guilty".

My position isn't pedantic.  My position isn't legal.  My position is common sense.  When someone makes a claim or statement, the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.

If I say a flying saucer landed in my yard, you would be correct to ask me to prove it.  If my response to you is "prove it didn't happen" it would be evidence that I am a silly person and almost certainly full of shit.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Oct 02, 2018 3:04 pm)

Offline

#16 Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm

GMW
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

>>Unless you are talking about beer drinking alone, then - yes - that's just youthful highjinks.<<

What if you snuck a stoagie from the grocery store in your pockets? Or was strolling along popping your own skittles in your own complex while wearing your hoodie? Then then the narrative would be totally different. And chances are you might be dead.

Offline

#17 Oct 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

What do you want from me, GMW?  Do you want to say that injustice in this case is justified because of unrelated injustices that occurred elsewhere?  I don't understand what you are trying to get me to say.

Offline

#18 Oct 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Rd on the other hand is so convinced none of the accusers are legitimate he will continue to chant the mantra until the bitter end.

That's not true.  First, I don't know if he is guilty or innocent.  Nobody on this forum knows.  It is unknowable by us.  If evidence that he is guilty appears, I will quickly change my position from "I don't know" to "guilty".

My position isn't pedantic.  My position isn't legal.  My position is common sense.  When someone makes a claim or statement, the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.

If I say a flying saucer landed in my yard, you would be correct to ask me to prove it.  If my response to you is "prove it didn't happen" it would be evidence that I am a silly person and almost certainly full of shit.


I for one found them plausible,  but we that have doubts will agree that while technically he is innocent, we will be prepared for a change of decision. Rd on the other hand is so convinced none of the accusers are legitimate he will continue to chant the mantra until the bitter end.

Think that sums it up.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 02, 2018 7:11 pm)

Offline

#19 Oct 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

White, black, brown, male, female, gay, straight, rich, poor...doesn't matter. Innocent until proven guilty must always hold.

Offline

#20 Oct 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Judge Kavanaugh and BEER.

Real Distwalker wrote:

White, black, brown, male, female, gay, straight, rich, poor...doesn't matter. Innocent until proven guilty must always hold.

You haven't got a millimeter of bend in you have you.

You have simply stated YOU don't think the women have any credibility. That's it, end of, innocent until proven guilty.

Everyone else says either from what they have heard seen read they THINK he may be guilty, but would like to see some form of process take place, or as in my case, I think that the statements corroborated with clinician visits, and third party discussions long before the Judge came up for acceptance has a ring of truth to it, but like the others could not make a judgement.... which lets face it is not our remit anyway... but hold to the premise that while technically innocent until proven guilty we hold that he may not be. You do not seem to be able to find a middle ground even in this totally irrelevant debate. For as sure as eggs is doughnuts what we may think one way or another doesn't matter squat.

I think we all get the innocent until proven bit, but we can still conjecture. Something you are doing just the same as us.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB