You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 04, 2018 3:56 am

gripe
Active

650 Law Professors' Letter: Don't Confirm Kavanaugh!

"Res ipsa loquitur", the thing speaks for itself:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 … e=Homepage

#2 Oct 05, 2018 8:53 am

Dancer
Active

Re: 650 Law Professors' Letter: Don't Confirm Kavanaugh!

Looks like you are going to lose Gripe.
RD is so happy.

#3 Oct 05, 2018 9:03 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I am not happy.  This clown show has been disastrous for America.   We now have a new standard: If you run for office, you can be humiliated, your family harassed and your good name dragged through the mud by insubstantial, uncorroborated, no evidence  accusations from a third of a century ago.

#4 Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am

GMW
Active

>>We now have a new standard: If you run for office, you can be humiliated, your family harassed and your good name dragged through the mud by insubstantial, uncorroborated, no evidence  accusations from a third of a century ago.<<

Oh cut the piety. U need not go back too far. U remember who was President before Donald Trump? And guess who was one of the leaders of that smear campaign? Of course it's De Donald. Obviously Obama was too clean to be taken down by their entitlement filth. I pray hope the same can honestly be said for Kavanaugh .

If not, fear not. I heard you, Donald Jr, De Donald and others echoing almost the same thing: that what these bad people like Christine Blasey Ford, etal, are accusing this Good Judge of will serve to  re-energize the conservative base. U guys may be on to something.

The self-righteous indignation is, well, BULLSHIT!

#5 Oct 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It's not self-righteous and it's not bullshit.   I don't believe this Ford woman and, therefore, I believe that her story was a political hack job.

I also don't believe this has anything to do with Trump.  Kavanaugh would have been on the short list of judges to be considered for the Supreme Court if McCain, Romney or any Republican would have been elected president.  This is just opposition by a party that doesn't have the votes to stop it so they are trying to stop it by other corrupt, unethical ways.

#6 Oct 05, 2018 12:35 pm

GMW
Active

>>I don't believe this Ford woman..<<

OK. Got it!

#7 Oct 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Expat
Active

GMW wrote:

OK. Got it!

Took a long time to get there eh.... smile

I suspect the appointment will happen regardless, but it is still a shambles as far as doing a decent job of corroboration. Or realistic discounting.

RD is following the party line, regurgitating the obfuscation many of his party that he doesn't belong to churns out. While there doesn't seem to be a real inquiry. Worst of all situations. There will always be a shadow over this drink happy judge.

#8 Oct 05, 2018 7:34 pm

houston
Active

GMW wrote:

OK. Got it!

I don't believe this woman nor disbelieve what she has to say.
The circus of US politics is something I try to avoid, but this story stirred attention.
I don’t understand why a person that was offended several years ago suddenly feels that the foggy memories have become clear once the accused offender has become a figure in the public eye.
Were the frat house frolics okay then but then considered offensive actions today?
Is it possible that some people want the 15 seconds of fame for taking down an achieved person?

#9 Oct 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:
GMW wrote:

OK. Got it!

I don't believe this woman nor disbelieve what she has to say.
The circus of US politics is something I try to avoid, but this story stirred attention.
I don’t understand why a person that was offended several years ago suddenly feels that the foggy memories have become clear once the accused offender has become a figure in the public eye.
Were the frat house frolics okay then but then considered offensive actions today?
Is it possible that some people want the 15 seconds of fame for taking down an achieved person?

If the story was true, however buried it might have been, it would not have been a foggy memory. We ..... all of can only speculate..... we were neither there, or in a position to judge, or even really accept the judgement made, as it has been "handled".

I believe it to just as much a disservice to the now to be appointed judge, as it is the the probable victim.

I would agree with RD that in all probability the Dems held onto it for political expedience, however the victim did give her testimony in a) good time, and b) without the intention of it being a public spectacle. Both parties have been wronged by this hiatus.

#10 Oct 06, 2018 7:02 pm

houston
Active

Old hippies can't seem to get anything right these days.
Must be the millennial influence.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun. … ge-rip/amp

Board footer