You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Oct 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Weather or not it has been

Dancer wrote:

Expat's Leslie in the news   .......  Front page MSN- Weather.

Wandering Leslie : An unusual storm , an unusual track.

* MSN is late .  We are ahead of that news MSN.  Our resident weather man is on the ball.

Not quite, my prediction was off, Nadine fizzled out, and all of a sudden Leslie went straight.... straight towards Iberia.  All good for us... smile

Currently nothing worrying me or NOAA in the Atlantic/Caribbean.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 13, 2018 7:01 pm)

#12 Oct 13, 2018 8:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Hopefully that's all she wrote for the year. Mind you these days the season has a long tail. Of course RD would say that's bunkum.

#13 Oct 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It is bunkum.  The records show no increase in the number or severity of Atlantic hurricanes in decades.  The records are available for anyone to review.

That doesn't mean the climate isn't warming or that humanity isn't partially to blame.  It might be that there are aspects of warming that decrease hurricane numbers and intensity.  It isn't clear.  Anyone who tells you that it is certain that a warming climate will cause an increase in the number or severity of Atlantic hurricanes is full of shit.

#14 Oct 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Science Daily: Global Warming Increases Wind Shear, Reduces Hurricanes, Climate Model Shows

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 182843.htm

#15 Oct 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Science Daily: Global Warming Increases Wind Shear, Reduces Hurricanes, Climate Model Shows

Great we in the Windwards will be OK, but Where's the model for Gulf of Mexico Hurricanes saying the same thing? Michael wasn't impressed with your figures.

Global warming, or climate change doesn't mean because you have a lift in the number of Tornado's in the States that there will be a reciprocal event in Australia. The Butterfly theory still prevails, and clever as we think we are we cannot calculate for that bloody butterfly. Personally I would use a giant can of insecticide to take it out of the equation, but they wont let me put it on the plane.

At least probably for the first time you have acknowledged humans might be making a difference. It's such a tiny step to say.... Maybe if we took our foot of the gas pedal a crash is not compulsory.

I am not living the most extravagant lifestyle I am not driving a monster motor car, I do not drive it very far or very often, I have been flying once a year, so mea culpa for that, but that may stop soon, apart from burning garden waste which is almost compulsory, as being in the tropics the trees grow so bloody fast the have to be hacked back, and leaving them to compost would help a rat invasion.

I have already done most of the damage to the environment I am likely to make worth mentioning, but if there was a sensible way to reduce emissions I would take it, and would hope other younger more polluting people would too. Like NH I think it was said. If you think it absolutely necessary to vote, even though you know you are outnumbered, then you should TRY to reduce emissions as every teeny weeny reduction can help.

As Glaciers retreat they make a difference to sea levels, unlike The North Polar cap which is like ice cubes in a glass, when Siberia ceases to be permafrost and releases methane.... already happening, heating up will accelerate. When the Atlantic tractor stops Britain wil become fully European, and freeze and burn like mainland Europe. If that happens in 100 years instead of 20 that's got to be a good thing right?

#16 Oct 14, 2018 8:29 am

Dancer
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Now I can see where RD gets his bogus claims from ..... " Science Daily "

On the right side of his posted page  ....... this

>> Large scale US wind power  ( wind turbines ) would cause warming that would  take  roughly a century to offset  <<

#17 Oct 14, 2018 9:07 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Iowa gets more of its electricity from wind power than any other state.  I heat and cool my home with geothermal ground loops fed by wind power.  What more do you want from me?

If it is your belief that global warming is all bad news and there is no upside at all to a warming climate - even if the net is still negative - then you are a ideologue.

#18 Oct 14, 2018 10:39 am

Expat
Active

Dancer wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Now I can see where RD gets his bogus claims from ..... " Science Daily "

On the right side of his posted page  ....... this

>> Large scale US wind power  ( wind turbines ) would cause warming that would  take  roughly a century to offset  <<

Seems like there are absolutely no easy options. Seems odd though that low level wind farms are going to affect continental wind patterns. Even from the little app I posted the winds flow in completely different directions and intensities at varying levels.

#19 Oct 14, 2018 3:20 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Great we in the Windwards will be OK, but Where's the model for Gulf of Mexico Hurricanes saying the same thing? Michael wasn't impressed with your figures.

Global warming, or climate change doesn't mean because you have a lift in the number of Tornado's in the States that there will be a reciprocal event in Australia. The Butterfly theory still prevails, and clever as we think we are we cannot calculate for that bloody butterfly. Personally I would use a giant can of insecticide to take it out of the equation, but they wont let me put it on the plane.

At least probably for the first time you have acknowledged humans might be making a difference. It's such a tiny step to say.... Maybe if we took our foot of the gas pedal a crash is not compulsory.

I am not living the most extravagant lifestyle I am not driving a monster motor car, I do not drive it very far or very often, I have been flying once a year, so mea culpa for that, but that may stop soon, apart from burning garden waste which is almost compulsory, as being in the tropics the trees grow so bloody fast the have to be hacked back, and leaving them to compost would help a rat invasion.

I have already done most of the damage to the environment I am likely to make worth mentioning, but if there was a sensible way to reduce emissions I would take it, and would hope other younger more polluting people would too. Like NH I think it was said. If you think it absolutely necessary to vote, even though you know you are outnumbered, then you should TRY to reduce emissions as every teeny weeny reduction can help.

As Glaciers retreat they make a difference to sea levels, unlike The North Polar cap which is like ice cubes in a glass, when Siberia ceases to be permafrost and releases methane.... already happening, heating up will accelerate. When the Atlantic tractor stops Britain wil become fully European, and freeze and burn like mainland Europe. If that happens in 100 years instead of 20 that's got to be a good thing right?

Another cause of concern. We really are trashing this planet.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/isl … lean-it-up

Board footer