You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Oct 11, 2018 2:31 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: 'Babysitting While Black'

I'm not denying that and don't try and put shit in my mouth. So you're saying that any black adult driving white children is automatically suspect and deserves to be stopped? Join the police, racial profile is alive and well in your mind, evidently.

#12 Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

So you're saying that any black adult driving white children...

No.  Don't put shit in my mouth. 

I am saying that when some people see adult men with unrelated little girls they get suspicious because bad things have been done to little girls by unrelated men.   I ain't saying its right, I am saying that the basis for he suspicion wasn't necessarily that he was black but that he was a man with little girls that were clearly not his daughters. 

If this is profiling, it was likely profiling of all men as sexual predators.

#13 Oct 11, 2018 4:36 pm

New Historian
Active

"I am saying that the basis for he suspicion wasn't necessarily that he was black but that he was a man with little girls that were clearly not his daughters."

A convenient excuse for racist profiling. So a white man with black children would get the same level of attention. Sure.

#14 Oct 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am sure a white man driving off with couple of little black girls would get some attention, especially from black women.  They would want to know why that white man is driving off with two black babies.  Not all black women would be worried, but some would. 

Not all white women worried about the black guy with the white girla either.  In fact, as far as we know, the number of white women concerned was exactly one white woman.

#15 Oct 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

If everyone in the car is black - or white for that matter - it wouldn't be evident that they are unrelated.  That's the point.   

I understand that you fantasize that child molestation isn't a danger in the Caribbean but that is abject bullshit fantasy.

https://www.unicef.org/easterncaribbean … cation.pdf

Strangers driving unrelated children is not the problem, it is the relatives you have to watch out for. Third party quote. Any virgin in Grenada has to be a damn good runner.

#16 Oct 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

Strangers driving unrelated children is not the problem, it is the relatives you have to watch out for.

I agree.  Of course the point is that one woman saw an adult man with little girls that obviously weren't his and became suspicious.  Not what the real risk is.

#17 Oct 12, 2018 7:45 am

Dancer
Active

I would like to point out that these days of """" BLENDED """" families.
Reactions will have to change.

I just wanted to use the 'new' word  ...... BLENDED.....  ( hearing that word being used dese days )

lol

#18 Oct 12, 2018 7:58 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Strangers driving unrelated children is not the problem, it is the relatives you have to watch out for.

I agree.  Of course the point is that one woman saw an adult man with little girls that obviously weren't his and became suspicious.  Not what the real risk is.

Becoming a little laborious, granted incidents of Black folks kidnapping white kids is small/unheard of. I would still prefer a member of the public became suspicious and made that call causing a momentary inconvenience than brush it off and a kid ends up dead or abused.

We are in a transitional stage, once upon a time not so long ago blacks were routinely abused, lynched raped and made scapegoats for crimes that either weren't really crimes, or a crime of some one else's doing. There are definitely still issues, but no where near the extent they used to be.

Now we are in the hyper sensitive stage, where there are still some abuses, but many more are perceived to be abuses simply because the confrontation consists of two different races. I don't care if the other party is white, black, yellow or brown, if there is a reason to be concerned, even if it was an unwarranted concern, I would rather it was taken up, instead of the complacency and fear of speaking out which has caused all kinds of anti-social acts to carry on in recent years due to observers being scared to speak up in case they get a moutfull or beaten up with no one prepared to help them.

In America of course there is still the fear of over reaction from gun toting psychopa.... sorry .....police.

Board footer