You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Oct 13, 2018 8:12 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Where do I go?

New Historian  tourist Gree could use your travels  .... stories  and schooner trips.

"" SAIL with Long John Silver on a trip to Carriacou   - on a rust bucket.***
lmao.

#12 Oct 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

I've been working this weekend and I've got some reading to do. Thank you in advance.
Yeah Expat and the question Grenadians ask is "Where is the nearest KFC?"
I know KFC is popular in the Caribbean. Every taxi driver points them out. I love KFC too but there is one right around the corner from my house.

#13 Oct 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Expat
Active

I've gone from anti KFC simply because the main outlet in Grand Anse has this drive through line that takes hours, to being anti KFC because of all the GMO's oils and mini fries that are the most unhealthy option.

That said, you will probably find the "Spicy" versions taste much better than regular. If I am compelled to buy food there, ie with my arm so far up my back that my forehead is touching my knees I usually have the Zinger.

#14 Oct 14, 2018 10:31 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I ate KFC when I was younger.  If I am going to indulge myself with something deep fried, it is going to have to be better than that.

I have to laugh at GMO fears.  Whenever we discuss climate on Talkshop all the usual characters proclaim their deep respect for science, scientists and all things scientific.  Let the topic change to GMO and watch the same people claim the science is unsettled or just plain wrong.  Vaccinations too.

#15 Oct 14, 2018 10:53 pm

New Historian
Active

I don't think I've commented on GM foods on here, truth is it's not something I'm too stressed about, one way or the other. I just know one thing: If I can buy two bananas, and one of them is one of those huge, straight, unblemished perfect Central American bananas from those mega-plantations, or a slightly blemished short, sweet naturally grown local banana - I know which one I want!

I accept that GM has all these economic benefits, but still ....

#16 Oct 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I would buy the same banana as you because it tastes better.  If the GMO banana tasted better, I would buy it.

#17 Oct 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Expat
Active

Quite right. Re your 10:31 post.

I suspect you are running with the idea that a couple of tweaks simply to make the wheat or corn, or what ever shorter to make harvesting more efficient, or able to cope with drier climates, etc, but the grains we process now are a lot more complicated even with regular cross breeding never mind GMO getting toxins into the food chain, our guts cannot properly utilise the nutrients, our guts cannot catch up, they took thousands of years to adjust to what simple experimentation created. Many of the RECENT gut issues can be directly and indirectly attributed to these products. Certainly we have to question injecting pathogens into the system trying to circumnavigate our normal defenses. Never mind the aluminium and or mercury they use to help the vaccines to last longer. Both of which we all know are neurotoxins. Could it be something to do with injecting similar proteins into the system that trigger auto immune diseases where the body fights itself because..... the proteins injected create a fight response. I just wonder.

There are many reference points even within the standard medical profession that state much of what I just blew off the top of my head.

The Government... YOUR bloody government however is in bed with the pharmaceutical companies who fund them, so are reticent to go against the pharmaceutical companies findings, which usually are poorly tested, and often only over a 30 day period, and often not on humans at all. meaning if you get a condition at 31 days they say it is nothing to do with their drug.... Also now you can't sue the drug companies.  It's open season on the public, and if I understand correctly many or all those immunisations are compulsory. And we all know how they used the armed forces as guinea pigs.

Cynical or what. The polio vaccine that your companies supply to most of the outside World is banned in America.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 14, 2018 11:17 pm)

#18 Oct 14, 2018 11:02 pm

New Historian
Active

But it doesn't, and never will. I used to work in agriculture, deeply. With Israeli experts using the most modern methods. And true they produced incredible yields per acre, compared to conventional Jamaican farming methods. But it all tasted ... bland. If you take out the things that make fruits and vegetables what they ARE, and replace them with what they NEED, the result is inevitable: a second-rate product.

#19 Oct 14, 2018 11:15 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

But it doesn't, and never will. I used to work in agriculture, deeply. With Israeli experts using the most modern methods. And true they produced incredible yields per acre, compared to conventional Jamaican farming methods. But it all tasted ... bland. If you take out the things that make fruits and vegetables what they ARE, and replace them with what they NEED, the result is inevitable: a second-rate product.

I can't substantiate this comment off the top of my head, and I'll be lucky to find the resource that gave me the information, but despite Monsanto's claims apparently it takes many times more GM crops to provide the yield the unadulterated one did... making it even more disastrous than its effects on people.

Thankfully the EU have bans on its use, but even that is not a fail safe, as it is imported to feed cattle etc. Some of the major Supermarkets cannot guarantee the supply from their regular sources, so have a regulated GM free traceable meat supply that they have as an own brand.

Kellogg's use GM free grains in the UK, but as they and General Mills use GM grains for there breakfast cereals in the US and IGA get American supplies, I have found Prince Charles's Muesli which is certified GM free... so until I can find an alternative I am filling Charlies pockets. Bland, Boring, but better for my nervous system.

#20 Oct 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Oh BS, Expat.  Humans have been eating frogs and mushrooms and shellfish and seeds and organ meat and insects and fish and roots and leaves and birds and every other damned non-poisonous thing imaginable since we were knuckle walking on the savannas.  A gut that can process an octopus, an apple and some damned fungus growing on a tree can manage most things.  There is NOTHING being created by GMO that is outside the wide range of things the human gut has been digesting for thousands of years.

I fear my government but damn, you are so delusional paranoid it is pathetic.   It is ironic that an atheist fears a demon haunted world more than any Christian, Muslim or Jew I ever met.

Board footer