You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#41 Oct 16, 2018 11:22 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Where do I go?

In other words most Americans are woefully ill-informed about the state of their own country - let alone the rest of the world.

In other words most Americans are ignorant. Just paraphrasing.

#42 Oct 16, 2018 11:28 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Yeah, just like you.  You are worse than most of them.  To hear you guys spin your tales, Americans are suffering from lack of health care, it is violence in the streets everywhere you go, poverty is rampant and Americans eat McDonalds everyday.  Yeah, you are ignorant as all hell.

#43 Oct 16, 2018 11:57 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Yeah, just like you.  You are worse than most of them.  To hear you guys spin your tales, Americans are suffering from lack of health care, it is violence in the streets everywhere you go, poverty is rampant and Americans eat McDonalds everyday.  Yeah, you are ignorant as all hell.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Except it's not just McDonalds, you forgot Arby's, that other purveyor of healthy foods! My brother tells a funny story about having to stop on the road at a McD's, in the middle of Nowheresville USA, and he and his wife ordering the salad. They were so bemused, because no one had ordered salad in weeks, they said that every day they prepare it and every evening they throw it out!

I'm not USA-bashing RD, well I am but we can ALL get the same bashing lol.

#44 Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It's in the milk??

https://youtu.be/lzb-TXk7K_c

#45 Oct 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Quoting the article to which you linked: "All of these healthcare issues come down to one thing: money."

People don't want to pay for health care.  Nobody wants to pay.  Nobody in Britain wants to pay either.  In Britain, however, the government let's people pretend that health care is "free".  It isn't free.  Brits pay for their health care too.

In other words, Americans think their health care is good or excellent but too expensive.  Brits like their health care less than Americans but are allowed to believe the fiction that it is "free".

Only you seem to believe Brits think it's free. Its that condescending I know better than everybody else mentality you demonstrate so often. Also if you actually spoke to most Brits the consensus would be we don't mind paying so long as it functions properly. How do I know this, not because I am pompously opining from the hinterland of America, but because I have both been a part of that populace, but also because I am always watching British News. However we pay a fraction of what you do for your wonderful service. Unlike the founders of the collapse of the World economy a few years back Briton like many other countries caught pneumonia while you guys had the sniffles we got the flue. We are still getting over the effects of your f up. Added to that our own stupidity by those arseholes that voted to leave Europe  Funding is tight in many many different directions.

Maybe just maybe should they get past Brexit, and open up some world trade, maybe the economy will improve and benefits all round will improve. Me I ain't holding my breath on that one.

#46 Oct 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

However we pay a fraction of what you do for your wonderful service.

You are correct.  The US spends $9,892 per capita for health care.  The UK pays $4,192 per capita for health care.  Therefore, the US pays $5,700 more per year per head than in the UK.

Of course per capita income is $15,400 more per year at $59,500 in the US and $44,100 in the UK.  We can afford it.

While we are at it, the US has 910 automobiles per 1,000 people.  The UK has 469 automobiles per 1,000 people.

The average size of a house in the US 2,303 square feet feet.  In the UK it is 818 square feet.

Don't worry about the US.  We are fine.

#47 Oct 16, 2018 4:12 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

You are correct.  The US spends $9,892 per capita for health care.  The UK pays $4,192 per capita for health care.  Therefore, the US pays $5,700 more per year per head than in the UK.

Of course per capita income is $15,400 more per year at $59,500 in the US and $44,100 in the UK.  We can afford it.

While we are at it, the US has 910 automobiles per 1,000 people.  The UK has 469 automobiles per 1,000 people.

The average size of a house in the US 2,303 square feet feet.  In the UK it is 818 square feet.

All of that doesn't imply "fine"; it implies bigger and richer. Whoopy-doo for you. Half the reason why you spend so much on healthcare is not because of "better" healthcare, it's because of an insurance-driven, profits-driven, big pharma-driven and lawyer-driven dysfunctional healthcare system. My son had a temperature, one two-hour visit, a battery of useless tests and one $2,000 bill later, he was back at home sleeping. It didn't "cost" me anything, ah but it did.

Watching prime time tv in the States is one long train of healthcare ads, both on and off the counter. Are ALL Americans always in pain? Do you ALL have constant upset stomach? And do you ALL have ED problems, 'cos those are the ads I see all the time! Madness.

#48 Oct 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Exactly, you are like pigs in swill and still you all bitch the world isn't fair to you, and that everything costs so much.
Your health care comparison is ridiculous as your health care is inflated to F by insurance charges.
You live in a F off great land mass which make enormous land holdings and flimsy wooden sprawling houses cheap to build and buy except in metropolitan areas where you suffer the same as rest of us.
You need many more cars than we do because there are vast distances between most places unless you only live and move in the city. With the traffic jams and pollution we have more than enough already.
You may well be right about the salaries, but you also are afraid as a nation to take a holiday, whereas we have and take plenty.
When I worked for an American Company in the UK the Degree level staff.... most of them, earned significantly more than their American counterparts, and had 5 weeks leave which they took without fear, plus assisted mortgages, health insurance, and a damn good pension. Not only the Degree level, but I can mention them with authority. I earned more than many of them as I was a one off within the company. I certainly exceeded your American average by a good bit, and that was 10 years ago.

Maybe you are even misunderstanding the figures you quote. Are you talking about government spend, or individual, because I can assure you individuals pay absolutely no where near. I think... I may be wrong, it is currently 8% of salary which doesn't pay for just health care it goes in the pension pot too. So like me, I have my various private insurances plus the State Pension that the N.I. payments contributed too. This currently only requires 35 years of contributions, but cannot be drawn until state retirement age.

#49 Oct 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

No, it is a simple figure.  National spending on health care divided by the population.

Flimsy wooden houses?  That's absurd.  There is nothing flimsy about wooden houses.  They last a couple hundred years.  I know, you are going to tell me that stone houses last a thousand years.  I am not building a house for a thousand years.  Why in the hell would I.

Sorry, dude.  We are wealthier, we have more space, we have health care without waiting.  By the way, most of my staff have 4-6 weeks of personal time off per year.

Regarding pensions....  Wow.  Trading my ability to accumulate wealth to live on for a pension would be a terrible deal for me.   I could retire right now and live comfortably the rest of my life on savings alone.  Excuse my work ethic, however, I don't want to retire.

Look, I get it.  You would rather be poorer with a safety net than take a chance at real wealth.  I get it.  That's fine.  Reasonable people can disagree on that.  But you can knock off the pity for Americans.  Most of us have more wealth than most of you.

#50 Oct 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

No, it is a simple figure.  National spending on health care divided by the population.

Flimsy wooden houses?  That's absurd.  There is nothing flimsy about wooden houses.  They last a couple hundred years.  I know, you are going to tell me that stone houses last a thousand years.  I am not building a house for a thousand years.  Why in the hell would I.

Sorry, dude.  We are wealthier, we have more space, we have health care without waiting.  By the way, most of my staff have 4-6 weeks of personal time off per year.

Regarding pensions....  Wow.  Trading my ability to accumulate wealth to live on for a pension would be a terrible deal for me.   I could retire right now and live comfortably the rest of my life on savings alone.  Excuse my work ethic, however, I don't want to retire.

Look, I get it.  You would rather be poorer with a safety net than take a chance at real wealth.  I get it.  That's fine.  Reasonable people can disagree on that.  But you can knock off the pity for Americans.  Most of us have more wealth than most of you.

You really don't get it, and that is the problem. There is nothing stopping anyone in Britain from being a successful entrepreneur or inventor, other than their drive or interests. No one HAS to stay on till 65, I retired at 59, and if the family hadn't thrown me a curved ball it would have been younger. But then I only wanted to raise enough funds to live reasonably well, and I am not trying to create a legacy. I have more work than I want or need just maintaining my properties. As for more of us than more of you, statistics can be very misleading. If you are talking about average income in the UK if the top 100 earners in the City are taken out of the count then the average drops phenomenally. Which may make your case even stronger, except as far as I can tell you have a lot more poor white trash living in caravans than we do, our poor white trash generally live in state sponsored housing. Those that live in mobile homes or caravans basically do it as a lifestyle choice as they usually close to holiday resorts. The homes not really being mobile although they do sit on an axle.

Once you have taken top earners avoiding taxes and making fraudulent declarations I wonder how Americas average stack up.

Or to put it yet another way.  I really don't care for affluence there are some advantages for sure, but I never craved it. I also never really liked work, it was always a function of survival not a compelling need. I am never jealous of those that have created pots of dosh, good luck to them I say. We are all islands, and you never know either how they acquired their wealth, or what future holds for them. The guy you see in the glossy mags who has everything may die of cancer or a car crash in a few weeks. I do care about poverty, like you I have experienced it, and fear of it may on occasion make me appear stingy, on the flip side when I have, and there is a need I usually give.

Last but not least, while I might like a few more sheckels as I said I am not overly fussed, but one thing I do not do is look down on those who have either not been blessed with high functioning brains, or have chosen careers that suit them but may not give them a great income. The person is just as valid and to be respected just as much as someone who is scraping by in a shanty as living in a mansion.

I may have difficulty with drug addicts and the like, but even many of them probably have stories that explain their slide into oblivion, but I find it hard to fund a habit I can't afford myself.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 16, 2018 9:13 pm)

Board footer