You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#51 Oct 16, 2018 7:57 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Where do I go?

"Flimsy wooden houses?  That's absurd."

That's not absurd, that's 100% correct. I called my house in Virginia the Micky House House, it was freakin ridic. Plaster board walls and stapled together 2x4's! My sons were horsing around in the basement and one threw the other halfway through the wall lol! Putting a painting on the wall when the wall is hollow?

#52 Oct 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Flimsy wooden houses?  That's absurd."

That's not absurd, that's 100% correct. I called my house in Virginia the Micky House House, it was freakin ridic. Plaster board walls and stapled together 2x4's! My sons were horsing around in the basement and one threw the other halfway through the wall lol! Putting a painting on the wall when the wall is hollow?

Oh you were out of line there... fancy trying to put a painting on the wall. You should use Gorilla glue for that.

On the other hand I had to drill long and hard into my 1907 cottage walls to make a hole to put in a wooden plug to accept a picture hanger.  No way could you drive in a pin or even masonry nail. But then you could have probably put the floor space of the entire house both levels into one of RD's closets.

My wife visited her sister in Florida some years back. Both her's and our property were valued around the same, yet hers was a sprawling air conditioned fairly new build Block built as it happened, and mine was a diminutive old farm labourers cottage. Which correlates to what I was saying that UK land and properties location to location and size to size are far more expensive. Were it not the case people other than the Royal Family would be owning half of England instead of a few hundred acres max.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 16, 2018 9:08 pm)

#53 Oct 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

However we pay a fraction of what you do for your wonderful service.

You are correct.  The US spends $9,892 per capita for health care.  The UK pays $4,192 per capita for health care.  Therefore, the US pays $5,700 more per year per head than in the UK.

Of course per capita income is $15,400 more per year at $59,500 in the US and $44,100 in the UK.  We can afford it.

While we are at it, the US has 910 automobiles per 1,000 people.  The UK has 469 automobiles per 1,000 people.

The average size of a house in the US 2,303 square feet feet.  In the UK it is 818 square feet.

Don't worry about the US.  We are fine.

All of that doesn't imply "fine"; it implies bigger and richer. Whoopy-doo for you. Half the reason why you spend so much on healthcare is not because of "better" healthcare, it's because of an insurance-driven, profits-driven, big pharma-driven and lawyer-driven dysfunctional healthcare system. My son had a temperature, one two-hour visit, a battery of useless tests and one $2,000 bill later, he was back at home sleeping. It didn't "cost" me anything, ah but it did.

Watching prime time tv in the States is one long train of healthcare ads, both on and off the counter. Are ALL Americans always in pain? Do you ALL have constant upset stomach? And do you ALL have ED problems, 'cos those are the ads I see all the time! Madness.

Sorry to rub salt into that expensive wound, but you probably didn't even need to spend a cent on that temperature.

A fever is the body's way of fighting infections and virus's. For every 1 degree rise your immune system doubles it's efficiency. The fever is there for a reason. Taking Americas most dangerous drug Tylenol to suppress the fever is crazy, you are almost unquestioningly prolonging the illness, and damaging nerves, joints, and the gut in the process.

If the child is sweating and glassy eyes pat them down with a tepid cloth, not iced water it is the body trying to lower the temperature. If they are shivering while hot... wrap them up, shivering is the body's way to try to raise the temperature. Ride the fever like a wave. If the child is sweating like crazy change the bedding, and their night clothes as the body can reabsorb the toxins it just emitted via the sweating.

You must of course maintain hydration, and supply electrolytes even if only salt mixed with sugar if the chemist is closed.

Last edited by Expat (Oct 16, 2018 9:26 pm)

#54 Oct 16, 2018 10:06 pm

New Historian
Active

Yeah yeah but when the pickney eyes roll up into he head, is time to get his ass to a doctor lol.

#55 Oct 16, 2018 11:11 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

So you bought a badly made home.  I am building a 5,000 square foot house right now and there is nothing cheap about it.  If you think it is flimsy, you don't know what you are talking about.   I guarantee by house is more insulated and air tight than any stone or brick house.  Wood has "supple strength". The  mortar between bricks is much more brittle. I can withstand winds and earthquakes better than a brick house.  It is less expensive to build, has more architectural advantages and is better sealed. 

Don' t delude yourself that because you had a poor house all timber houses are poor.  I wouldn't build anything else.

#56 Oct 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

Or to put it yet another way.  I really don't care for affluence there are some advantages for sure, but I never craved it.

Good for you.  That wasn't really the conversation though, was it?  It was about how rough Americans have it compared to the heavenly blessed British.  That was bullshit from the start.

Americans are, on average, wealthier than the British and have higher standards of living.  If wealth doesn't matter to you, congratulations.  It doesn't follow from that that Americans are worse off than the British.  We definitely are not.

The Swiss are wealthier than either Britain or the US.  I wouldn't mind living in Switzerland.

#57 Oct 17, 2018 10:13 am

Expat
Active

I think you missed it, whoosh it went, and you didn't even duck.

Simply because you have an average does not mean the average person is anything.

If 98 people earn around 10 bucks an hour, and 2 people earn... cos they are savvy entrepenuers 5000 bucks an hour the average goes up, but it aint realistic for the average person.

Most of the things you quote are you... and related to you. Nice for you.

The have not's in the rust belt probably do not see the World the same way you do.

There is no doubt Americans were well ahead of the curve in terms of white goods etc if you go back far enough. You all had fridges when we only had pantries, you had washing machines and driers when many households took their wash to the communal laundry. Even bathing was a public bath house event for many due to the old housing stock not being built with bathrooms, with a shortage of housing stock due to the Blitz meaning over population, with little ability to convert rooms to bathrooms.

These were the advantages of living in a country with great economies of scale, AND being almost sideliners in the first World War, and late arrivals having had a massive boost to the manufacturing industries in the second. While your millionaires were printing money our factories were being obliterated, and farms were being farmed by girls to keep the populace alive. You had the Japanese bite your bum, but mainland America.  Hmm. It's always easier when it's over there. Well we were over there, and it wasn't easy.

While America mourned it's dead and carried on booming Briton especially the major cites were a shell that had to be rebuilt, aided by reduced wages thanks to the Government flooding the market with cheap labour from the West Indies which kept British wages suppressed.

So be as smug as you like, what goes around comes around, maybe not for you personally, but America is going to fall just like every other Empire. Briton was king of the heap for a good long while, yet its duration was shorter than previous great empires, and just as changes happen quicker due to technology so will who is the top dog.

#58 Oct 17, 2018 10:38 am

Real Distwalker
Active

What does "America is going to fall" even mean?  Am I going to stop getting Netflix?  I am not worried.

#59 Oct 17, 2018 12:07 pm

New Historian
Active

"Don' t delude yourself that because you had a poor house all timber houses are poor.  I wouldn't build anything else."

Boy you love to play that high-handed card eh? Criticize me or anything to do with the great USA and I bite your head off - keep that Ugly American in the background nuh? I didn't buy a "poor house" (whatever that is), nor were all the other matchstick houses "poor" - that goes with the territory. One little cat 3 wind and they all blow down like dolls' houses.

#60 Oct 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Cat 3 wind is 111-130 MPH!  That doesn't exist in Iowa except in tornadoes and tornadoes will knock down any house.

Everywhere I look in Iowa I see houses that are over a hundred years old.  That's old in a state that was wilderness 160 years ago.

I could build a concrete or masonry home in Iowa but I don't.  Do you know why?  It would be stupid as hell.

Board footer