You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Calypso
Active

THE GENIUS OF MILES DAVIS

#2 Oct 12, 2018 10:27 pm

Expat
Active

Re: THE GENIUS OF MILES DAVIS

"Clever Jazz" makes me puke.

#3 Oct 13, 2018 8:05 am

Dancer
Active

1st ignore Expat.    ...... music is not weather.

Miles is way too avant  garde for me . lol .  Spends 1/2 of his time at the beginning of lots of his tunes with short notes and wasting time.  (example Tutu ) lol.
NO.  Miles was/is good. . I like his ballads and slow tunes. But not a great , great , groupie.
I remember in the  eighties  - my brother in law- going to a concert at   Montreal's  Place des Arts .
He reported ,,, Miles was in a bad mood , turned his back to the audience a lot , got pissed off by a band member playing a wrong note  and walked off the stage at one time.
A legendary musician.

#4 Oct 13, 2018 12:14 pm

New Historian
Active

So Miles he walked off the stage
Soon as the solo was over
So Miles he walked off the stage....

So what?

Avante garde? Miles was too cool for avante garde, hell he invented "The Birth of the Cool".

You want avante garde check out Sun Ra and the Arkestra: unfathomable lol!!

#5 Oct 13, 2018 6:55 pm

Expat
Active

Dancer wrote:

1st ignore Expat.    ...... music is not weather.

Miles is way too avant  garde for me . lol .  Spends 1/2 of his time at the beginning of lots of his tunes with short notes and wasting time.  (example Tutu ) lol.
NO.  Miles was/is good. . I like his ballads and slow tunes. But not a great , great , groupie.
I remember in the  eighties  - my brother in law- going to a concert at   Montreal's  Place des Arts .
He reported ,,, Miles was in a bad mood , turned his back to the audience a lot , got pissed off by a band member playing a wrong note  and walked off the stage at one time.
A legendary musician.

Not saying he isn't a good musician,/talent etc. Simply I can't stand smart arsed twiddle fiddle music.  My taste, not to be confused with decrying it the way I might much of the so called Soca of the modern era the and even more painful Jab Jab music which is formulaic mindless crap.

#6 Oct 13, 2018 10:36 pm

New Historian
Active

My all-time favourite jazz tune: Horace Silver from Cape Verde Islands.

#7 Oct 13, 2018 11:23 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

I tried to be supportive, but I did skip a couple of minutes here and there. Sounds like a backing track for a Columbo film.

#8 Oct 14, 2018 6:07 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

I tried to be supportive, but I did skip a couple of minutes here and there. Sounds like a backing track for a Columbo film.

Where is the passion, spontaneity , intensity and sublimity and, the raw emotion in his music? if it's not American Jazz it is not JAZZ!!!

Last edited by Calypso (Oct 14, 2018 6:09 am)

#9 Oct 14, 2018 6:20 am

Calypso
Active

Davis and Baker take the cake for me!

#10 Oct 14, 2018 7:17 am

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:

Davis and Baker take the cake for me!

Now you are just trying to make me laugh.... You quote spontaneity and passion, and then put on a piece of deliberately composed music. That is about as spontaneous as the 1812. Listenable, certainly as spliff music, or background music. It wouldn't irritate the hell out of me like that Davis track.

You may be able to tell I am not a Jazz fan. I have been to a few Jazz nights with a buddy at a local pub.... the best thing about them was the beer, and the conversation. I was pretty much able to ignore the music.

Board footer