You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 20, 2018 10:40 am

Dancer
Active

The new word ...... is BLENDED

As we all know living in the big city . Multiculturalism is everywhere .
Black people in ads , Indian in ads   ,   so are  Chinese.
ET Tonight ... black and white host.

Now   ! !   on the radio ,  Tv talking heads  ... calling a mixed race couple....
  ** A BLENDED FAMILY **

So I would like to share a 'BLENDED'   story.

AISHA ALFA   ::::::    " My mixed family looks like a ghost and a shadow made love and I was the result . The SEARS family photo  was always a little tricky for us .
The first few takes and my father would come out  , just eyes and teeth in the back ground.
... Then they'd adjust the lighting  and my Dad would be beautiful lit ,,, but my MOM looked like an apparition.

............ Have you a 'blended' in your family yet  ??   
Sad. lol.

#2 Oct 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Expat
Active

Re: The new word ...... is BLENDED

Photographing Black folks is a pain in the butt.

In normal circumstances fine, but in a wedding in light clothes.... an absolute nightmare.

I have done a couple of weddings, and sheesh, it's hard to get folks to look how they look in life, AND not blow out the wedding dress, or see the detail in the wedding dress and not have an over dark face.   Much playing in Photoshop to pull it around.

On thinking about it, probably much of it is to do with the harsher light here as compared to Northern Climes where lighting is softer.

#3 Oct 20, 2018 7:30 pm

New Historian
Active

You're right, I've got a lot of "blackface" photographs of family & friends, particularly because I like to take pictures without flash, to the maximum extent possible. I too did weddings for a while, the praise was scant and the scant money never compensated for the abuse!

#4 Oct 20, 2018 8:33 pm

New Historian
Active

Blended ... well I guess we've reached the summit of PC-ness: "blended", a word without any racial or even human connotations, perfectly neutered.

It's been a long old racial road...

When I first moved to England from Trinidad I had only the vaguest ideas about race: Brian Ferreira next door was white, but his little sister Gracie was my official girlfriend - we even swapped chewing gum on it! In England it took me a while to realize what coloured meant, and that it meant me. That was tolerable, even your teachers called you coloured, but "chocolate face", that was fightin' talk! No matter how many times I lost...

Half-caste... a uniquely English term, don't know what the modern version is.

Wog, unheard of in modern "multicultural Britain"

#5 Oct 20, 2018 10:52 pm

houston
Active

Wow, that could not be easy.
Difficult for many to comprehend.

#6 Oct 21, 2018 9:37 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Blended ... well I guess we've reached the summit of PC-ness: "blended", a word without any racial or even human connotations, perfectly neutered.

It's been a long old racial road...

When I first moved to England from Trinidad I had only the vaguest ideas about race: Brian Ferreira next door was white, but his little sister Gracie was my official girlfriend - we even swapped chewing gum on it! In England it took me a while to realize what coloured meant, and that it meant me. That was tolerable, even your teachers called you coloured, but "chocolate face", that was fightin' talk! No matter how many times I lost...

Half-caste... a uniquely English term, don't know what the modern version is.

Wog, unheard of in modern "multicultural Britain"

One has to surmise that Half Cast originates from India where as you know they have a cast system. I think but may be wrong Half casts were also called Brahman.... not quite English/British, not quite Indian.

While in your time it definitely would have been specifically slur racial, there was a point where there was an expression the wogs begin at Calais meaning anyone who wasn't British. It also applied to Jews, Arabs, Southern Europeans, Indians, well just about everyone. Part of the arrogance and superiority of Empire mate.

Board footer