You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Oct 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Vets Descend on Grenada

Tomorrow is 35 years since the invasion and the people on the Urgent Fury Facebook page are talking.

Greg Smith wrote:

It has always bothered me that OUF was framed as an invasion rather than a liberation. Maybe it is a small point, but the people of Grenada seem to agree with me. I wish them a Happy Thanksgiving.

Mark D. Mason wrote:

The more I research the history of Grenada I have to agree with President Reagan, Operation Urgent Fury was a Rescue Mission.

RD Walker wrote:

Was it...

a) a liberation?
b) an invasion?
c) the overthrow of a government?
d) the restoration of democracy?
e) a military assault?
f) a rescue mission?
g) all of the above?

Correct answer: "g", all of the above.

RD Walker wrote:

Timing is everything. If the US would have engaged in the exact same operation as Urgent Fury on October 18th, 1983 the reception by Grenadians would have been much, much more hostile. There would have been little talk of liberation and no thanksgiving holiday.

Joe Niblett wrote:

The folks from Grenada that I know, refer to it as a liberation.

RD Walker wrote:

Really get into their heads and you will find that they see us as something akin to a fire department. Their house was on fire and they are glad we came and put it out. It is still painful for them. After all, their house burned and they lost something they once believed in. I am not trying to diminish what we did but it is worth understanding that the liberation wasn't all upside for Grenadians and it represents a painful memory for many... even as they profusely and sincerely thank us.

How am I doing?

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Oct 24, 2018 5:07 pm)

#2 Oct 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Vets Descend on Grenada

More....

Joe Niblett wrote:

RD Walker I only worked with a gal from Grenada for about 10 years. She and her family were extremely thankful for our little trip down there. I am sure not all are grateful.

RD Walker wrote:

I have been to Grenada many times and personally know dozens of Grenadians. It is hard to get them to open up. You will find that they are grateful but their feelings on the matter are definitely complex. I feel that we have a tendency to see their gratitude in a very one-dimensional way. The reality is more subtle. They are glad we came, however...

They are a little embarrassed and humiliated that it was necessary. Their feelings about the self-destruction of the Revo range from shame to joy. Many - most - supported the Revo but the Revo was dead by the time we got there. So many supported the Marxist/Leninist Revo but were still glad we came.

Proof of their complex feelings is that the airport at Pt. Salines and the highway leading to it are named after Maurice Bishop. You will find that the monument to US troops is on the "Maurice Bishop Memorial Highway."

Again, it isn't that they aren't grateful, just that it is complicated.

#3 Oct 24, 2018 5:54 pm

houston
Active

Is this like an Omaha beach type of celebration?
Do you think that the people of Afghanistan and Iraq are just as thankful?
Does Grenada celebrate Thanks Giving Day at the same time as the U.S or do Americans assume it to be a holiday the world over?

#4 Oct 24, 2018 5:58 pm

Slice
Active

That invasion, gave us TIEFING Keith; so in that way it was ah total failure. Tiefing Keith govermnet is too damn corrupt, and as ah result, the Grenadian folks are not benefitting. Doh get me wrong Grenada got a bright future, but maybe just maybe after TIEFING Keith is gone.

Some guy from Egypt is building one of the biggest resort in the Caribbean, it takes up maybe three or four City blocks, but the owner treats Grenadians like dirt and tink he can get away with anything.

#5 Oct 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

Is this like an Omaha beach type of celebration?
Do you think that the people of Afghanistan and Iraq are just as thankful?
Does Grenada celebrate Thanks Giving Day at the same time as the U.S or do Americans assume it to be a holiday the world over?

No, it is nothing official.  Just different old men showing up together.

I think the feelings in Iraq and Afghanistan run from gratitude to intense hatred.

I don't think Grenadians celebrate October 25th at all and I am a little embarrassed by the idea they should.   Yeah, many were glad we came.  They were glad the same way you are glad to see the fire department when your house is on fire.  That doesn't mean you should celebrate the day your house caught fire.

#6 Oct 24, 2018 6:30 pm

houston
Active

Yes, I would be happy for any help if my house was on fire.
Yes, I like to celebrate Thanksgiving Day on the second Monday of October although it may not be in accordance with international standards of shopping weekend.

#7 Oct 24, 2018 7:58 pm

New Historian
Active

Interesting chat, always good to hear the grunts on the ground. I too think Grenada's "Thanksgiving Holiday" is cringeworthy - it's downright embarrassing! Really, isn’t it about time we did away with this fawning foolishness? Judging by the lack of reaction or any kind of connection that this holiday has ordinary Grenadians, one really has to say: this is a meaningless holiday. Hey, we all like a day off, but how about we just move the date up just a little – to 19th October. And how about we change the name, to something like Remembrance Day? Something that means something.

For good or bad, 19th October is a date that is loaded with Grenadian historical significance; and it strikes me that this would be a more appropriate day for some national reflection and soul-searching; than on the day the invasion came. Instead, let's remember and reflect upon the chain of events that got us to that sad state of affairs in the first place; and reaffirm that such a tragedy will never be repeated in Grenada; that we will never again put dogma before life.

#8 Oct 25, 2018 9:18 am

Slice
Active

Leh me say this,  Grenadian are ready to embrace the invasion, with ah few exceptions, but their complain is that invasion gave us Tiefing Keith.  Grenada is at ah crossroads, they wanna embrace America, but they just can't and as ah result most Grenadians hate America. Under the PRG Grenada use to send mangoes to Trinidad.  That doh happen now,

There are no Agro industries in Grenada.  Grenadians buy everything.  The few that do some farming, the Marketing board drive to their location and pays them nothing.  Grenada is in ah real bad way.  They get sick and they die.  There are fake doctors on the island from Cuba and the govermnet is not doing ah ting about it.  Ah man buy ah car for $30,000 and it blows up the same day, nothing in place to help the buyer.  Please doh get me started on the ills of Grenada.

Yes folks with ah few dollars will love Grenada.  It could be ah very sweet place.  The crime rate alone is enough to  bring tourist to the island, but most Grenadians are suffering.

Last edited by Slice (Oct 25, 2018 9:24 am)

#9 Oct 25, 2018 11:53 am

Dancer
Active

I was just going out to finish up some chores.  After seeing Slice bad talking Gree , I had to give a little support to Greers. lol. Seems no one else does.  Sad.
Slice , you spent a couple of weeks in Gree , what happened ?

Talk to me Slice , talk to us , some more.  You could right a book  now eh ?
Transition difficult ? Interaction with the natives , poor.
No , I will not ask that question.
So take your time Slice , we want to know more.

#10 Oct 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Slice
Active

Listen Grenada is ah sexy place with lots of potential.  I love it, but the growth is not there. Ah swear Grenada has some of the best restaurant in the world and the food is real good.  They are so friendly, that ah got sick of them, but ah quickly realize, that is who they are.  The beaches are so damn sexy it is crazy. Sometimes at 10 am in the morning ah few of us meet on Grand Anse beach and have ah real sweet time.  Many times ah feel asleep on  in my living room with the doors and windows wide open.

Every body brings stuff to you. Mangoes, Pawpaw, what so ever is in season, you will have it for free.  Ah went to Expat house one time to get some eggs; before ah left ah had some of the sweetest Julie mangos in the entire world.  Thanks to Expat wife.

The place is real nice, but the govermnet can and should do much more to help out its people. You see folks like RD and GMW, that have monies, they will have a real good in Grenada.  The place is sweet like ah Sugar Apple if you have ah few bucks.

BTW, GMW  Ah ent sure if you know me cousin Sugar Boy.  He use to hang in your bar.  He also use to run that bar thing in Requine (sp) Junction.  Well he died. You know why he died Dancer? Because lack of Medical  for these poor Grenadian.

Listen Dancer ah was ah king in Grenada and loved every minute of it, but I will be foolish if I did see that Grenadians were suffering.

It so happened, that I met two folks from America and one from Canada; when, we were hanging especially on the weekend we were stumbling and pushing folks side, because we all wanted to pay for every round of drink.  Most were for the locals.

Last edited by Slice (Oct 25, 2018 4:31 pm)

Board footer