You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 07, 2018 7:45 am

Expat
Active

So, I went on the fort yesterday

With a visitor.

I went on business, so I went in the non tourist way.

After dealing with my stuff we went to visit the fort as "tourists" so we went around to the tourist entrance and paid most of the required figure.

To meet us were a gaggle of women braiding hair. As we were short of the last dollar, as neither of us had change in our pocket, and it would have meant walking back to the car the lady kindly let us in at a discount..... Sorry for being bad minded, but without a receipt and not a regular supply of patrons perhaps it didn't go in the government coffers.

Anyhooos, onto the Fort, through a doorway right back into the same quadrangle we had just come out of.

Anyway now full of virtue for paying for our visit, we wandered hither and thither, without any form of guidance,  into places you might well think were off the tourist route only to find great views of the harbour etc.

We know the fort is ruined by the police offices, but crap in hell it is being used as a tourist attraction, the place is in a deplorable condition. Never mind roofs off possibly because of Ivan or Emily, or even the rotten floor boards probably as a result, the rusty clothes lockers which must have been just tossed through a window and left piled up waiting to fall through the floor as it collapses is shameful.

The whole site is pretty disgusting as a tourist venue. No information, no guides, just a sad place to visit.

#2 Nov 07, 2018 12:28 pm

gripe
Active

Re: So, I went on the fort yesterday

Expat, you just walked into this one: I will nominate you for the position of "Historical Ombudsman" with responsibility for monitoring complaints about as well as archiving, preserving and showcasing all things historical and native to Grenada.

#3 Nov 07, 2018 6:12 pm

Expat
Active

gripe wrote:

Expat, you just walked into this one: I will nominate you for the position of "Historical Ombudsman" with responsibility for monitoring complaints about as well as archiving, preserving and showcasing all things historical and native to Grenada.

I am good at griping, that's the extent of my skills.

#4 Nov 08, 2018 1:20 am

gripe
Active

Expat, you gained another vote for filling the newly created position because of your skillful use of words and phrases, the brevity of it all and, I suspect, doing so with no pun intended.

You have the job, Expat.

#5 Nov 08, 2018 9:56 am

New Historian
Active

In 2015 I did some work for the World Bank on a restoration project for the Fort. I hear that the government is going ahead with the project and will remove the PGPF HQ, eventually:

http://www.nowgrenada.com/2018/08/gover … rt-george/

"There have been several projects over the years to restore Fort George and relocate the RGPF, including one from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) more than 20 years ago. An American not-for-profit, Portcullis Ltd, has been attempting to redevelop the Fort since 1999 . None of these projects have come to fruition. Recently, the Board of the Grenada Tourism Authority (GTA) has approved the prioritization and commercialization of Fort George as an enhanced tourist attraction, and GTA revenue earner.
The alternative is to consider a phased development: in the first phase there would be a touristic attraction cohabiting with the Police, each side physically and functionally separated within the Fort compound. Then, as and when the RGPF eventually relocate, the rest of the Fort could be handed over for restoration.

This latter is the approach in this current project; that the East Barracks building be restored to create an interpretation center, gift shop and coffee shop. The South Barracks would continue to be used as the RGPF barracks; however there would be informative signage at strategic parts of the Parade Ground and escarpments."

#6 Nov 08, 2018 11:21 am

piratejenny
Active

Before the effort by Porticullis, people from the Grenada National Museum had worked with Gairy to make the Fort a historical site. Gairy agreed; then history happened, and then "only in Grenada" was in full swing.

#7 Nov 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Expat
Active

We live in hope, but I still say what dullard tossed the lockers into the barracks? Why do the ranking officers not think.... tourism or otherwise ..... it is not acceptable. An expression ending.... on your own doorstep springs to mind.

#8 Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm

New Historian
Active

Amazingly it still gets rave reviews - well I guess you can't f*ck up a fantastic views, but they certainly try!

Imagine if they only tarted it up a little? It literally sits on top of the cruise ship pier, and passengers moan about nothing to do in Grenada...

On your own doorstep indeed.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ … enada.html

#9 Nov 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Expat
Active

I think you got it, but many wont, the reference was to Don't S##T on your own doorstep.

#10 Nov 09, 2018 9:33 pm

New Historian
Active

Of course everyone'll get it, it's not rocket sci 101 nor is it unique to your homestead.

But back to the point the World Bank is now involved in the project, lending the government money to fix up the Fort, so let's keep fingers crossed that something good actually comes out of this Nth attempt. I don't mind the Police using it, keeps it as a "working fort", but for God's sake they must clean up their act, and not leave their frowzy drawers hanging on the clothes line for all and sundry to see!

Board footer