You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 10, 2018 7:01 pm

houston
Active

100 years and counting

The war to end all wars.
Have we learned anything over the past 100 years?
484209284790849copy-Image.jpg

#2 Nov 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Expat
Active

Re: 100 years and counting

houston wrote:

The war to end all wars.
Have we learned anything over the past 100 years?
https://i.postimg.cc/4mfQvSyZ/484209284790849copy-Image.jpg

How to kill more efficiently.

#3 Nov 10, 2018 7:28 pm

New Historian
Active

Killing has evolved to an art form: we have the high-tech killing, a guy in California presses a button and a drone takes out a whole village in a "surgical strike"; and the low tech with the guy with a butcher's knife, a truck. I'm sure RD will quote numbers to show that the world is a safer place now than it's ever been, and sure when you take out a couple of world wars it does appear to be "peaceful" But is it? Sure doesn't feel that way. Like I said on Facebook: Can you believe that a guy who survived the Vegas mass shooting got killed in the California shooting? And this isn't the first time people have been involved in multiple mass shootings. Unreal.

#4 Nov 11, 2018 8:59 am

Real Distwalker
Active

#5 Nov 11, 2018 9:46 am

Expat
Active

Today is the day to focus our appreciation on those that went before that fought and lived, or fought and made the ultimate sacrifice that we might continue untroubled by petty dictators.

I have a Grandparent that lived, although damaged by gas attacks, and died younger than he should.

All wars and conflicts are bloody nasty affairs, but the trenches certainly took horror and misery to a whole new level.

Lest we forget.

#6 Nov 11, 2018 11:07 am

New Historian
Active

My grandfather on my mother's side was gassed in WW1 and never fully recovered his health, he died from "consumption" age 30-odd.

#7 Nov 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My great grandfather was victim of the Spanish Flu epidemic while serving in the Army during World War I.  It damaged his lungs and he suffered from emphysema and related health problems for the rest of his life.

#8 Nov 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

My great grandfather was victim of the Spanish Flu epidemic while serving in the Army during World War I.  It damaged his lungs and he suffered from emphysema and related health problems for the rest of his life.

Real Distwalker wrote:

The Spanish flue was around. Unfortunately most of the deaths occurred because of medical intervention rather than the flue itself. Which if I remember correctly was the prime cause of the pneumonia which killed most people. Many of the American expeditionary deaths were actually proven to be from Typhoid which according to an observer at the time presented atypically, probably aided by the vaccines they were given.

Just like the rise in mortality rates post vaccines from the left overs that were distributed to the American public before the doe boys came home.

Spookily enough the Greeks who refused the vaccine did not have any flue mortality.... go figure.

Covered in talk below...

#9 Nov 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Immunization against the flu as we know it today was not practiced in 1918.  There was no vaccine and none was offered to soldiers in any army in any meaningful way.   The first influenza vaccine was devised in 1938 by Dr. Jonas Salk.

Furthermore, Greece suffered through the pandemic like every other nation.

https://www.infezmed.it/media/journal/V … 015_14.pdf

Most of the deaths occurred because the Spanish Flu was particularly deadly.  People dropped dead in the streets.  People drowned in their own liquids in their lungs.  You were fine, got sick and within 48 hours you were dead.  It killed more people than all the wars of the 20th century. 

I don't know what you are thinking of Expat, but your comments bear no similarity to the Spanish Flu epidemic that was underway 100 years ago.

#10 Nov 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I just completed this book last month.  I highly recommend it.

PANDEMIC 1918

Before AIDS or Ebola, there was the Spanish Flu — Catharine Arnold's gripping narrative, Pandemic 1918, marks the 100th anniversary of an epidemic that altered world history.

In January 1918, as World War I raged on, a new and terrifying virus began to spread across the globe. In three successive waves, from 1918 to 1919, influenza killed more than 50 million people. German soldiers termed it Blitzkatarrh, British soldiers referred to it as Flanders Grippe, but world-wide, the pandemic gained the notorious title of “Spanish Flu”. Nowhere on earth escaped: the United States recorded 550,000 deaths (five times its total military fatalities in the war) while European deaths totaled over two million.

Amid the war, some governments suppressed news of the outbreak. Even as entire battalions were decimated, with both the Allies and the Germans suffering massive casualties, the details of many servicemen’s deaths were hidden to protect public morale. Meanwhile, civilian families were being struck down in their homes. The City of Philadelphia ran out of gravediggers and coffins, and mass burial trenches had to be excavated with steam shovels. Spanish flu conjured up the specter of the Black Death of 1348 and the great plague of 1665, while the medical profession, shattered after five terrible years of conflict, lacked the resources to contain and defeat this new enemy.

Through primary and archival sources, historian Catharine Arnold gives readers the first truly global account of the terrible epidemic.

https://play.google.com/store/books/det … lsrc=aw.ds

Board footer