You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Nov 16, 2018 9:46 am

Slice
Active

THE VERY WORST CAR TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW

Ok say ah cheap, but ah decided, that I ent buying another vehicle.  My AMERICAN Rav4 is in Grenada, so have two other cars at my disposal here.  Yesterday ah had to drive the Jaguar XF Supercharge.  I know it was snowing and sleeting and all dat great stuff, but ah had to go.  In my 10 minutes or less drive I slip and slide about 10 times.  That is driving no more than 15 MPH.

On my way back, I had a nice hill to climb.  Every vehicle in the world pass me.  The Frigging car just won't climb easily at ah reasonable speed, 5MPH and will not go in a straight line.  Thank God with lots of patience I made it.

Then I took the Camry later in the day for another run.  On that trip I saw two Jaguars pulled over to  the side with Flashing lights.  I guess the drivers had to leave them, because they are not able to drive in the snow.

They are sweet cars, but dry surfaces only.  Not that I owned the JAG, I was car watching for ah friend.

#2 Nov 16, 2018 10:49 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: THE VERY WORST CAR TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW

Any rear wheel drive car is going to suck in snow.  You need all-wheel drive or, at minimum, front wheel drive. A real wheel drive pickup truck is the worst of all.  It's like a duck on ice.

#3 Nov 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Slice
Active

I notice the trucks is always struggling.  My neighbor has one, and ah keep wondering when it snows ah bunch, he never goes out and me ah love driving in the snow.  Yesterday he hardly could ah move, now ah know why.  I was the driver in my area when ah had me 4Runner that use to take care of all the older folks in my area.  They all keep asking me you, from the island how come you could drive in the snow?  I am ah great snow driver.  Not boasting, but ah damn good.  Yesterday made me humble doh.

#4 Nov 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Here is how you drive on snow:  Pretend your 90 year old aunt is in the passenger seat.  She is in her best dress.  She is holding a pot of hot gravy filled to the brim.  Don't spill it on her dress.  That's how you drive in snow.

#5 Nov 16, 2018 7:50 pm

houston
Active

Very good analogy RD.
And no tailgating in poor conditions. Find those pick-up drivers like to run the bumper regardless of weather. Quite often see them in the ditch because like you say, they can be a duck on ice.
Always take it easy and plan on extra time when the snow is forecast to fall.
Tap the breaks to test the road conditions. Those that slam them always wind up in the ditch.

#6 Nov 18, 2018 10:43 am

Slice
Active

I am ah very fast driver, but when the conditions are correct.  When it is wet I slow to about half my speed and when it snows I almost crawl.  On the High way I get in the slow lane and take me time.  Keep in mind I always had ah Four wheel drive vehicle; but with ah rear wheel drive, it is really ah lesson in, ah doh know, Rear wheel drives are not be driven when it snows.

Board footer