You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Dec 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Expat
Active

GMO Myths

http://earthopensource.org/gmomythsandt … ent/210-2/
Or

http://www.anh-usa.org/ge-crops-do-not- … -the-usda/

Or .... well it goes on and on, but in the interest of fairness taking the Chemical manufacturers out of the equation, because they have actual bottom lines and investors to satisfy, there is a piece of research much vaunted, done by some Italians which are supposed to support increased yields in GMO crops, although there is some debate as to whether it is actual yield increase or simply less crop loss.

There is also a suggestion that the increases that do occur trail off over a 15 year period, ultimately ending up less than standard crops, and making the whole exercise pointless. Especially when there is increasing evidence of the damage the crops are doing to our vulnerable bodies.

Might it be better to encourage self selected shrinking populations to reduce the physical taxation on the Earth rather than poisoning the population to cut humanity down. Simple stuff like contraception. Despite the markets wanting it, companies and countries simply cannot keep on growing at 3% or 7% if you are China, eventually, and sooner rather than later we have to retrench.

We saw massive increases in productivity due to improved farming techniques. Using tractors instead of horse and plow. and before that steam driven devices to aid crop processing. Sometimes you have to know when enough is enough.

#2 Dec 11, 2018 8:46 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: GMO Myths

Expat wrote:

Or

There is also a suggestion that the increases that do occur trail off over a 15 year period, ultimately ending up less than standard crops, and making the whole exercise pointless. Especially when there is increasing evidence of the damage the crops are doing to our vulnerable bodies.

What a load of crap.  We can regularly no produce corn in excess of 200 bushels per acre.  That was unheard of in the 1970s.  In newspapers of 100 years ago, a farmer who could get 40 bushels on a even one acre, let alone as an average, was considered newsworthy.

Yields have been increasing for decades and they continue to increase.

corn.jpg

In any case, yeah, your eviro-whacko websites are definitely

#3 Dec 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Slice
Active

GMO is ah mix bag for me.  I like some of the GMO stuff and in ah way it is natural. eg Sweet peppers shelf shel are much longer than tomatoes, I see nothing wrong with using GMO to give tomatoes ah longer shelf life.  This is an argument Don and I years ago.  Yes there are some real BAD gmo.  I will not buy meat in any store that is not natural, I just do not buy it.

In a way I am caught between two worlds.  So ah just buy what and eat what ah tink is safe.

#4 Dec 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Or

What a load of crap.  We can regularly no produce corn in excess of 200 bushels per acre.  That was unheard of in the 1970s.  In newspapers of 100 years ago, a farmer who could get 40 bushels on a even one acre, let alone as an average, was considered newsworthy.

Yields have been increasing for decades and they continue to increase.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xvXFI0JCiWI/T … 0/corn.jpg

In any case, yeah, your eviro-whacko websites are definitely

Then again after your bluster their is perhaps the truth, which is that GMO crops may have increased yields, but Non GMO crops have increased either better or just the same...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 … cides.html

Considering the economies of scale you have with miles of crop as compared to the much smaller farm layout in Europe I would say the non GMO's have pissed all over you, not to mention they are not attempting to poison the population.

Not to mention... OK I will GMO's were supposed to reduce pesticide use, and their use in America has INCREASED, and from the example given, in Frances pesticide use on non GMO had dropped.

All round your claims are bogus.

Last edited by Expat (Dec 11, 2018 7:27 pm)

#5 Dec 12, 2018 11:38 am

Slice
Active

Plus they taste different.

#6 Dec 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Vanni
Active

I distinguish GMO from the traditional methods of selection and culture to improve a plant for either human consumption or human pleasure.

While selection and culture always works with nature's Guidance and rules in terms of what can be cross-bred and how it can be done, while selection and culture leaves up to Life the ultimate decision of whether it welcomes human proposition, or whether it rejects it, and if so, we can always trust that it is for eminently good reasons, GMO bypasses Life's participation. GMO imposes the changes as conceived by humans' limited mind, without the chance for Life's wise and loving Guidance. We may speak of violation and violence.

Besides well-founded health concerns - in a climate of murkiest-of-waters-transparency about the results of trials on living beings, with known cases of lies - if GMO was truly about philanthropy, it would offer transparency and freedom to humanity. Instead, it shows self-interest, forcing farmers to buy new seeds to plant for each new season and harvest, with unwarned farmers, who sometimes reach ruin and desperation.

Now, let's see another aspect which none of the powers presently in place appear to want to take care of:

Deserts - 33% of land on Earth are deserts.

Would they be transformed even partly into arable lands, and we have what it takes to do it, provided we direct our caring and attention toward it, it may offer food for many millions more of people and this would definitely be a much more honest solution to world hunger.

But why isn't it being done? Why are budgets, among others for manufactured wars, and other diversion of tax moneys, increased each year, way past indecency? A fraction of it would allow for each human being to have clean water, healthy food, and a home.

Brothers and Sisters:

there are solutions. Wonderful, dignifying solutions!

We are the ones who can wake up to them. We are the ones who can turn ourselves to - call it Love, Life, God. We are the ones who, with the ever greater scandals becoming public, are ever more stimulated to use our discrimination facing the lies, manipulations, brainwash and indoctrination we are being served day after day. There is much for us to discover, become aware of, realise so we can start to work in our full potential.

We have not been valued nor respected as human beings as each of us deserves to be by the present and past powers. Maybe also because this situation is meant to give us the impulse to recognise, value and respect ourselves. We are not just victims, but I think that whatever is "allowed", is for a noble purpose.

As more and more truth is gushing up, lies becoming less and less controllable, transparency and genuine care are going to more and more prevail. And what we presently understand as "powers" is little by little transferring to truly caring and life-conveying individuals, so that together we transform our society into one of brotherhood, co-operation, gentleness, into a degree of love and respect few of us are presently conceiving of.

I am welcoming our interaction with life, as co-creators. In a heart-lead, Life-God-lead spirit: we are here to actually create a higher reality.

Last edited by Vanni (Dec 12, 2018 2:33 pm)

#7 Dec 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Expat
Active

While very small areas might be reclaimable, I would imagine the infrastructure required to succeed would be enormous.

The reason so much of North Africa is desert is because for centuries it has been eaten up due to climate change. I could be wrong by a thousand years or so, but I believe back in Egyptian days there was no Sahara desert, it was all lush green lands.

#8 Dec 19, 2018 11:16 am

Vanni
Active

Could it be that we are not being properly informed about the regenerative abilities of our Planet?

Greening desert areas may not happen within days, nor within months maybe, but by planting the appropriate vegetation, starting by drought-resistant bushes, it builds up, and within years there are first encouraging results, like fertile soil production. Then trees combined with cultivable vegetation can be planted. It seems that we just have to kick-start it and care for it.

A book, called Findhorn, describes the process, where, up North in Scotland, in a desolate place, where mostly stones and gravel were growing big_smile, some people who some may have called loonies, started exactly that process and ended up with lush vegetation and gardens, allowing them to cultivate food and live in self-sustainance. So ... it's possible even when it appears impossible.

Yes, some whole desert areas appear to have been formerly green and lush.

#9 Dec 21, 2018 9:30 pm

houston
Active

What do you think of the carnivore diet and all the hype?
I wonder about the Eskimos with no fresh fruit or vegetables.
Could there be something to this?

#10 Dec 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

What do you think of the carnivore diet and all the hype?
I wonder about the Eskimos with no fresh fruit or vegetables.
Could there be something to this?

For me ?

If so, whereas we say we are omnivores, for hundreds of thousands of years we  were leaf, root, and occasional meat/fish eaters.... That's what our Microbiome is based on. So while there are faddy diets around all of which may do us some good in the short term, for nutrition to suite our evolved state a similar diet should be followed. Even when it is labelled Keto diet which is a varient of the Atkins diet they are in essence right, but the key thing is proportions, and small medium protein, masses of vegetables especially greens, and as little wheat based product as possible, because even after the few thousand years we have been growing grasses, we still haven't developed a gut that can process them properly, add to that modern breeding which gave us short crops, and changed the structure to make it even harder to digest. Finally this GMO crap, and the food is working against us. the changes are far too quick for our internals to cope, never mind the toxicity of the roundup process. Hence a boom in Allergies, Asthma, Autism etc. All since.... radical changes in crop production.

We as a species can adapt and cope, but may well have deficiencies, but to take a group from one diet even though it is "bad" and suddenly give them a completely different food structure, and it will probably knock them for 6.  Japanese seem to do a lot of good things, but still suffer from mercury poisoning due to their diet..... I think it was shellfish that was the culprit... Sorry I can't remember all the facts and figures.

Countries that were deprived but fairly healthy are now following the Western, or rather American diet, and while before they were pretty healthy now they are getting all the Western illnesses like bowel cancer etc.  KFC, BIG Macs, Coke... hell why not just take cyanide.

There was a group of people from Eastern Europe... Who ate Sour Kraut and other similar stuff, and were fine.... they moved pretty much as a group to the US of poison, and although eating the same diet they developed terrible gut issues. When some went back to their homeland the problems went away... back to the USA, and back came the problems.... Non GMO in Lithuania, or where ever it was OK... GMO in America screwed.

Board footer