You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Dec 22, 2018 3:02 pm

houston
Active

Re: GMO Myths

I consider myself to be a foodie but eating healthy sure has become complicated with all the conflicting data out there.
Diet is adaptive. What works for one, may not necessarily work for the other and therefore individuals need to customize their diets rather than follow a standard.
Eating healthy does take planning and time but better to go hungry than to eat expensive fast food junk.
This fasting video is a bit long but some more interesting data.

#12 Dec 22, 2018 3:31 pm

houston
Active

Low carb, high fat diet...all the yummy stuff.

#13 Dec 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Expat
Active

A regular dosing of fermented foods such as Kimchi, Sour Kraut, and other fermented foods home made from natural ingredients unpolluted will strengthen your microbiome, and help your immune system.

I don't think dieting is all that complicated, it's just that we have been conditioned by the misunderstandings of previous generations.

Various "sciences" scientists and dietitians thought they knew better than their great grandfathers, who apart from infant mortality which affects the average age lived as long, or healthier until they died of bullet wounds, tractors falling on them, or over work building the railroads.

We have this misconception that we have grown bigger in the past couple of thousand of years through advances in diet etc.

There is (apparently) fossil evidence to indicate we were actually taller, and then shrank as the grain diet started to affect early man. It is basically since the quality of life has improved which is offsetting the food that we have started to return to our previous size.

Don't ask me to explain indigenous Amerindians that are relatively small, or pygmies. I know there are contra indicators, and I don't have all the answers.

Last edited by Expat (Dec 22, 2018 4:46 pm)

#14 Dec 22, 2018 8:13 pm

houston
Active

Of course you don't have all the answers in this complicated world.
Asian people are generally known to be thin. Yet here I see Asians that are over weight and some ladies that are very curvy.
Could that be because of the hormone laced chicken and other food products on the table here?

#15 Dec 23, 2018 8:26 am

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Of course you don't have all the answers in this complicated world.
Asian people are generally known to be thin. Yet here I see Asians that are over weight and some ladies that are very curvy.
Could that be because of the hormone laced chicken and other food products on the table here?

Maybe, but also there is a BIG difference between young Asian woman, and old Asian women from passing observation. The older ones seem to get quite wide, and yes also fat. This would be more to do with a) making a number of children, and b) an unhealthy diet with lots of Ghee, and rice and flat breads. Not to mention they have a passion for very sugary sweets. So maybe doctored chickens and lamb, but mainly diet choices.

I am saying Asian as in Indian, I can't speak for Oriental Asians.

#16 Dec 23, 2018 10:53 am

New Historian
Active

What's funny to see in the States is mama and papa immigrant, both of them short and thin, standing next to their American born, raised and fed children, all of whom dwarf their parents! Those steroided-up burgers sure have a quick effect on the body.

#17 Dec 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

What's funny to see in the States is mama and papa immigrant, both of them short and thin, standing next to their American born, raised and fed children, all of whom dwarf their parents! Those steroided-up burgers sure have a quick effect on the body.

It could be that, plus the parents would have grown up only eating their local diet and quantity whereas the children will have not only eaten family food, but snacks and school meals, plus the treats when the parents can afford it. So while still in the same family they may still be eating more than there parents. As RD has said nobody forced them to eat extra large with a giant coke.

#18 Dec 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Vanni
Active

houston wrote:

What do you think of the carnivore diet and all the hype?
I wonder about the Eskimos with no fresh fruit or vegetables.
Could there be something to this?

There are places in the world, where some diets appear to be inevitable, like eating meat. With the progress, it may be possible to export fruits and vegetables everywhere. Now how would it work in extreme conditions, like for example extreme cold? Would it be challenging or would it bring some unexpected benefits? Only real life experience could tell.

Board footer