You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 11, 2019 2:54 pm

New Historian
Active

I just can't get into electric vehicles

Finally, I drove one the other day, lawd what an unsatisfying experience! Thing feels like a golf buggy, no pep no oomph and above all no SOUND - you don't know if you're driving or not lol!! Yeah they're saving the planet and whatnot, but that can all wait 'til I'm dead and gone: unrepentant petrolhead 'till I die!

And don't even talk about self-drive: never, ever, ever, ever.....

#2 Jan 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Expat
Active

Re: I just can't get into electric vehicles

You know, I have a feeling electric vehicles are a huge con.

Not so long ago in the UK and probably Europe it was "You must get a Diesel, it is so economical, etc etc".

Now Diesels are pariahs emitting small particulates and ruining life as we know it. I knew that decades ago when walking through early morning bus garages as the pale blue smoke emissions of a cold morning start up clawed into my lungs. Of course, the brains that were, told us it was only an irritant to the lungs, now they say it is carcinogenic...

The main drift of electric batteries is.... it probably creates more pollution to charge those batteries, it is just that it is a coal power station.... over there...  or a nuclear reactor somewhere out of site that is going to need to be decommissioned in a couple of years, or a blot on the landscape wind farm... only viable if Trump keeps on talking.

Then, where are we going to put all the heavy metal waste products from the exhausted batteries. I suspect we are simply replacing one cause for concern with another.

Like replacing tungsten bulbs which are wasteful with eco bulbs that have mercury in them, and will pollute the landfills and water supplies.

#3 Jan 12, 2019 7:52 am

Slice
Active

I think I said that here before I hate them.  I love me combustible engines. I drove an Electric  about two years ago, for about ah week.  I hated it.  Recently I drove ah Telsa and there is ah huge difference, between, lets say the ordinary Electric cars.  I am ah Green person, because I do believe in Global Warming, but I will not spend me monies on Electric cars.  Just doh like them.

Expat, you know how much monies we are saving on Electric bills?  Since I installed me whole house with Energy Efficent bulbs, my Electric bill went down, by more than ah $100 monthly.

#4 Jan 12, 2019 10:12 am

New Historian
Active

On the exhausted batteries issue, some people in the know tell me that they can now recycle them, but obviously they must have an end date at some time.

Can't beat a good old petrol engine, vroom!

#5 Jan 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

I think I said that here before I hate them.  I love me combustible engines. I drove an Electric  about two years ago, for about ah week.  I hated it.  Recently I drove ah Telsa and there is ah huge difference, between, lets say the ordinary Electric cars.  I am ah Green person, because I do believe in Global Warming, but I will not spend me monies on Electric cars.  Just doh like them.

Expat, you know how much monies we are saving on Electric bills?  Since I installed me whole house with Energy Efficent bulbs, my Electric bill went down, by more than ah $100 monthly.

Let me say it again....

The energy bulbs I used to use like a good citizen.... like miniature fluorescent tubes have MERCURY as a component.... it aint good for ya when it is broken, as it is 100% going to be when it goes into land refill or dumped in the ocean. Also they take too bloody long to get to full brightness.

I mainly use LED's which are vastly cheaper to run than eco bulbs. But I am not convinced of the lifespan they seem to quote. They either crap out, or seem to dim over time. Another niggle is they are mainly made in warm white which I hate, I prefer daylight, or cold white, as it is closer to natural light.

#6 Jan 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:

Let me say it again....

The energy bulbs I used to use like a good citizen.... like miniature fluorescent tubes have MERCURY as a component.... it aint good for ya when it is broken, as it is 100% going to be when it goes into land refill or dumped in the ocean. Also they take too bloody long to get to full brightness.

I mainly use LED's which are vastly cheaper to run than eco bulbs. But I am not convinced of the lifespan they seem to quote. They either crap out, or seem to dim over time. Another niggle is they are mainly made in warm white which I hate, I prefer daylight, or cold white, as it is closer to natural light.

These fluorescent lighting ent worth SHEET.  I removed everyone of them in my house.  The electric company in my area came to my house and tried to replace everyone of my lights, but instead they gave ah good grade, cause I  already updated my lighting.

Board footer