You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jan 26, 2019 8:30 pm

Slice
Active

Re: The Ignoramus

We all must tank NH and Expat for keeping the shop alive.

#12 Jan 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Expat
Active

As stated we or I shouldn't try to minimise or deny the validity of your experiences, and I would suggest that while they WERE your experiences, and you thought what you thought at the time, in all probability as a world weary old man you have greater insite and awareness of things that caused events to take place.

Example apart from actual racial reasons it is also quite possible that you were simply an easier target for bullies who would have needed to bully someone.... anyone... just to make themselves feel important... No real consolation for you the individual.

Also I expect from your mature greater grasp of the World you will appreciate those hapless peers were if still in Liverpool pretty poor and probably as many working class kids/people fairly ignorant. They probably had green sleeves from wiping those snotty noses on their cuffs, and had little education past the rudimentary education their teachers tried.... probably vainly to pass on.

Also though you may not have perceived it, in 1960 despite being 15 years after the War, Britain was still struggling as it had to try and match up to its German and Japanese counterparts who had been aided to keep them afloat so their economies would not be a drag on the World, while Britain was crippled by lease lend which only got paid off about 10 years ago, and had industry running equipment probably built before or just after WW1. Ergo the economy was not brisk, there was a lot of poverty, and many of those car parks you saw on wasteland were the remnants of the Blitz which hit many of our major cities from Liverpool Coventry, Birmingham London, Plymouth and lots more. The 60's were really the start of colour coming into the country (pun intended). The swinging sixties when kids broke away from being little adults as they left school at 15, where there started to be having disposable income so scooters and motorbikes could be bought by regular young people, when white goods started to be affordable. Damn I remember us having an old Acme wringer you clamped onto the sink, and the joy at getting a little spin dryer. I think it was around 1970 we got a colour TV maybe a little earlier, Before that it was a deluxe black and white with a cable running across the room so Father could press the button and bugger up what ever program you were viewing.

You should not really judge events of the past with the same lens as we do now for things that happen now. The entire psyche of the country changes over time. The brutal way people were treated centuries past, not only slaves but just regular working people, farm hands, servants, the hoy palloy, they were worthless, and not cared about. Plenty more where they came from... That mentality was throughout society, so abusing slaves was of no consequence... Most of us have a completely different mindset now.

As for stupid long shorts... which they probably were, in the 70's footballers had short shorts which looked brill and long hair which looked stupid, and now THEY have long shorts which look stupid and weird haircuts. Just as the guy at the General Hospital on Friday with his trousers sewn onto his underpants.... really stupid, but fashion is fashion. Even as in his case it is long since become out of date.

Each new generation, or wave of immigrants only sees what happens after they arrive, and often cannot understand why previous generations find fault, as they only know what they know, while the previous generations know what it was like before.

Just as I remember Trinidad back in the 70's and Grenada back in the 70/80's they aint the same places, and in many ways the people have changed too.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 26, 2019 10:44 pm)

#13 Jan 27, 2019 2:38 am

New Historian
Active

Thank you "Expat", for that long, thoughtful ... what do I call it? wisdom of the years? Whatever, your memories, values and core beliefs are pretty much a reflection of mine - hardly surprising we grew up a few miles from each other, at pretty much the same time. Only difference is I need to school you every now and then lol! I remember vividly what it felt like to be an immigrant kid in London - you had to be able to hold your own in the playground! And as for bullies, sheesh they were an occupational hazard of school life. Being one of the only two wogs in class made us easy targets, worse yet cos my birthday of 26 July meant I was always the youngest - and smallest - in class.

School was a machine, to keep kids occupied from 8 to 4, education was incidental. I've probably said this before but as it's relevant to the discussion I'll say it again:

The main objective of Britain’s school system was to keep children occupied from eight to four – and try to knock some learning into their thick skulls in the process. The headmistress of St. Thomas’ Roman Catholic Secondary Modern School was Mother Bon Secours, otherwise known as Bongo. She like all the nuns walked around with a rubber strap ingeniously concealed in the folds of her habit, ready to dole out instant “behavior modification (physical) therapy” for the slightest infraction of the rules: two, four or six of the best. Bongo would think nothing of calling for me by saying:

“Hey you, Blackie, come here!”

Then there was Miss Duffy: an old, highly-strung spinster and certified lunatic. Seriously. One day in second form, class clown and general hard-nut John “Polly” Parrot was giving Duffy his usual lip. She decided to give him the strap. He held out his hands, she flailed away; a gnat on an elephant. Feeble Miss Duffy hadn’t the strength to seriously hurt strap-happy Polly Parrot, who just stood there, sneering. This enraged Duffy, who decided to give him six more.

Whoa, the maximum was “six of the best”, Parrot refused. Duffy flew into a rage.

“Put-your-hand-out …. NOW!!”

Again, Parrot refused: nope. Duffy drew back the strap and THWACK! She slapped him flush across his face, sending him reeling backwards over a desk. She wasn’t finished, she climbed over the desk to get at him, flailing away and screaming at the top of her lungs.

“Bundle!!” Someone shouted, and the whole classroom gathered round, watching Miss Duffy go mad and Polly screaming:

“Help! Help! Get this fucking mad woman off of me, help!!”

Teachers from nearby classrooms came rushing in, closely followed by their students; craning their necks to see what the hell was going on! The teachers finally managed to subdue mad Miss Duffy, who was panting and screaming, with flecks of white yucky stuff at the corners of her mouth. The ambulance took her away. She spent six months in Shenley Mental Hospital and came back the next term: cured.

Yeah right.

#14 Jan 27, 2019 9:23 am

Expat
Active

Number one mistake.... going to a Catholic school... You can't blame the system for faith based stupidity.

I went to a State school, and was excused prayers during assembly as a "practicing Catholic". Nice dodge..  smile

My Trini partners kids went to a Catholic school in Chelsea, by that time it did not seem to suffer from the excesses you mention, and while definitely in the minority, there were several Black kids in the school, but I never heard a word about victimisation. All though on the estate where we lived I did have N lover shouted after me, so prejudice was alive and well at that point in time.

I think back in the day RC schools were like many RC institutions a total F.U. Holding many of the head up your arse pious ignorant opinions they seem to hold in Grenada even up to today. Can you tell I am a lapsed Catholic?

Board footer