You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Feb 02, 2019 5:16 pm

houston
Active

Re: Okay, it's cold.

Real Distwalker wrote:

Thanks.  That's the lower level.   Here is a view looking in the same direction from the deck above last August.  Viva la Change!

https://i.postimg.cc/svGCc3n4/20180824-184635.jpg

Here is what the new digs looks like.  We should move in around mid April.

https://i.postimg.cc/WFZ08FkP/20181222-100536.jpg

Very nice RD. Lots of window for that much needed sun exposure.
A split level built on a slope with the lower level lookout view I'm assuming?
What is the top section, an upper level master bedroom perhaps?

#22 Feb 02, 2019 5:52 pm

houston
Active

https://torontosun.com/news/world/human … 190ad2ab43

The mid west states really got hit hard with that cold spell. As RD said, it is downright dangerous to be caught outdoors for any length of time when temperatures and wind chill get that low.
Lucky me was volunteered to help a family member move housing on Wednesday during -23° weather. A ton of fun that was.
When the fingers go numb the best thing to slowly bring back the circulation is to put them in room temperature water. Toilet water is ideal for lessening the pain of thaw.

#23 Feb 02, 2019 6:01 pm

houston
Active

I used to think I'd rather freeze to death than burn to death, but now I'm thinking otherwise.

#24 Feb 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

Very nice RD. Lots of window for that much needed sun exposure.
A split level built on a slope with the lower level lookout view I'm assuming?
What is the top section, an upper level master bedroom perhaps?

Thank you.  The living room has 16 foot ceilings.  The small windows are up there.

You get the idea here...

20181122-090118.jpg

This is what it looks like looking out the back on the upper floor.  That's a south exposure.

20181122-090101.jpg

#25 Feb 02, 2019 6:25 pm

houston
Active

Beautiful, nice spot.
Looks like you have a water way on the back of the land.

#26 Feb 02, 2019 6:54 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:
dapper wrote:

In greenz u have clean fresh air,fresh sea food,natural food straight from the ground and trees,cows and goats roaming and eating as nature provides and we still prefer these so called first world countries...lol

My body - and mind - just FEELS healthier when I'm in a balmy tropical climate. When I go up to England or 'Murka my body feels it: skin and lips get dry, my shit changes, nose gets clogged, yuk. And mentally I find that to be surrounded by beautiful sights improves my frame of mind, but when you're surrounded by urban ugliness and congestion it gets you down. I remember that really dark mood you'd get around February-March: WHEN is friggin summer coming lol!!

I'm sooo happy I moved back, quality of life, frustrations and all, is sooo much better. The only downside to life in Greenz is healthcare, if something serious happens you often have to go away for treatment, and that alone can kill you lol. But, thank God, Allah, Buddah and Jah, my old bod's holding its own - for now lol!!

+1.

Them that likes the cold are welcome to it. We have Summer  (Rainy Season) and Winter coz the leaves drop off the trees..... in the Dry season, when the nights get oh so cold around Christmas time...... Brrrrrr.

Saying that when I spent around a couple of hours in the water at BBC beach just before Christmas I was starting to shiver, and I lost the feeling in my finger tips where the nail beds went blue..... Lord it COoooold around Christmas.... smile.

Every year here there are whey to many deaths on snowmobiles.
The machines are so fast that the nuts operating them think they can cross open water for hundreds of yards.
Quite often alcohol is involved and also the in the dark with no ice picks to help them out of the water when thier machine goes for a dip. The likelihood of surviving without picks or other safety measures is next to zero. Sadly many of these deaths are of experienced sledders and most often preventable.

#27 Feb 02, 2019 7:26 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

Beautiful, nice spot.
Looks like you have a water way on the back of the land.

Yes, sort of.  It is a kettle bog.  It is the remains of an pond that has filled in over the last few thousand years.  It is wet but it is never flowing. 

The house site is high on something called a paha ridge.  It is a ridge that was built up during the last ice age when central Iowa was under a mile of ice.  My part of Iowa was a dry tundra and huge drifts of soil and sand called loess were piled up by the 70 mph gravity driven winds coming off the ice.  This bog is high on a ridge.  It was probably caused by a huge chunk of permafrost left after the glaciers retreated and kept soft as a wallow for bison herds.

In any case, I can see for miles in three directions from the house.

Here is what it looks like from the frozen bog last month before snow fell.

20181208-135114.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Feb 02, 2019 7:35 pm)

#28 Feb 02, 2019 8:33 pm

houston
Active

That is a large home RD, surely a good investment and a beautiful place for the golden years of retirement. Quite often see those monster homes in the country side and wonder about all that space. Space can be good at times when you want to hide from the spouse but thats a lot of square footage to heat.
Interesting about the bog flow. Similar to the Ausable Cut that flows nowhere, just seems be dead water that goes from lake to nowhere. Very stagnant water but good for fishing and other wildlife. A bit too attractivve for mosquitos during the warm months.

#29 Feb 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It's a large house but this is where my extended family gathers for holidays and events.  This is ground zero for my family and my wife's family.  Several times a year the house will be overflowing with people, cousins, nieces and nephews.

It is heated with ground source geothermal.  We have bored source loops under the wetland and use the wet earth to heat and cool the home.  It is the most energy efficient way to heat and cool.

The bog has an outlet and it drains 21 acres.   The water is filtered through grasses and loess and is very clean.  There will be mosquitoes but the framework you see on the back of the house is to screen in that porch to make it bug free.

#30 Feb 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Expat
Active

Don't worry about the mosquitoes, another couple of years and the water in the bog will have boiled off...   smile

Board footer