You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 31, 2019 4:59 pm

Expat
Active

Nawasa likes wasting water

Lunch time I hear a shusssssh noise in the back yard.

Quickly that gets louder, and then water fountain.

First try to get the emergency number.... nope doesn't work.

Finally figure out all the numbers in my directory are out of date except the main switch, so on calling that I get directed to the emergency extension..... no answer, only leave a message. I leave location, cell number.... nothing.

I try again a bit later... same thing.

I try again after I get back from a mission... The main switch only tells you they work between 8-3....

So maybe 100 to 200 gallons an hour down the drain. Then they go cry DRY SEASON if you use more than your regular amount.

I have reported several leaks I have spotted when out walking the dog. One of them went on for around a year... Yet they harass my arse when I use $40 more than usual.

This is before the meter, so it ain't my problem, but still.

#2 Jan 31, 2019 6:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Nawasa likes wasting water

Kind of makes you wonder what percent of water is just wasted.

#3 Jan 31, 2019 9:03 pm

New Historian
Active

In every single Caribbean country, "NRW" or Non-Revenue Water is above 50% of all water produced - in Jamaica it's 68%! NRW itself is divided between technical (leaking pipes, of the type you describe) and commercial (thiefing!) losses. If Grenada would just FIX THE LEAKS, we'd have water to spare. Nassau did just that and now they're awash with the stuff.

#4 Jan 31, 2019 9:05 pm

New Historian
Active

PS: You'll never get 0% NRW, even in advanced countries (like Iowa lol), NRW will be about 10-15%. The masters of fixing leaks are, as you'd understand, Israel.

#5 Jan 31, 2019 9:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Iowa is awash in fresh water.  The old wells in my town were sandpoint wells just 20 feet deep.  Our problem, most of the time, is too much water and how to get rid of it.

#6 Feb 01, 2019 10:09 am

Slice
Active

NAWASO is the frigging worst.  I have never heard, when there is too much rain, the water gets shut off. I reported ah leak in Morne Delice about three months  in my stay in Greenz.  One week before I left they finally was fixing it.  Most of the utilities companies just do now work right.  Maybe GRENLEC is the best.

#7 Feb 01, 2019 2:45 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

NAWASO is the frigging worst.  I have never heard, when there is too much rain, the water gets shut off. I reported ah leak in Morne Delice about three months  in my stay in Greenz.  One week before I left they finally was fixing it.  Most of the utilities companies just do now work right.  Maybe GRENLEC is the best.

"A bit harsh". Lockoffs after heavy rains is normal, because of the turbidity in the inlets. Yeah they could fix leaks sooner but believe it or not, operationally Nawasa is ahead of the Caribbean curve! And Grenlec is pretty efficient too.

#8 Feb 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Expat
Active

I am pleased to announce after some chiding they came along quick quick, and fixed it quick quick. This was achieved however via "contacts" rather than through official means, which would have me still leaving messages with a heavy leak pouring water down the gutter outside.

They are to return next week to replace the pipes, and move the meter to the road side so the meter reader can read it without being attacked by Sally. Also this will give me an opportunity to put on a new regulator, as the old one was fritzed. I have been using UK domestic regulators on a couple of lines, and they work, but the heavier grade would take the strain off them.

Board footer