You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Feb 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Is there no end to the things Bristish should be ashamed of

Real Distwalker wrote:

I pity the Germans of the bombed cities and those raped and abused by the Soviets but the blame lies with the German leadership. They brought the horror of war to the world twice in the 20th century.

So I got a DNA test for Christmas.  I have been telling you all that I am mostly Czech.  I know for certain that my ancestors came from Bohemia.  If the DNA test is to be trusted, however, my ancestors were Germanic people living in Bohemia rather than Slavs. 

It is a bit of a shock to discover that what you have always thought you were isn't so.  It is especially true you have no love of Germans or Germany.

Jawohl Herr RD.... smile

#12 Feb 18, 2019 10:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

There was just 8% Slavic.  The rest was Germanic with a 10% Swedish surprise.  I had no idea.  Of course none of it matters in the least.

Here is what was creepy.  They had a list of traits ranging from ear type, eye color, finger length and on and on.  They got every one exactly correct.  They even said I have brown hair with a propensity to have red haired children.  I have brown hair and my youngest has red hair.

They also pulled my relatives from their database and matched me with my first cousin in Seattle.  Amazing.

#13 Feb 18, 2019 10:56 am

Expat
Active

The key information like it or not is we are cousins 20 or so times removed.... LoL

#14 Feb 18, 2019 11:57 am

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I pity the Germans of the bombed cities and those raped and abused by the Soviets but the blame lies with the German leadership. They brought the horror of war to the world twice in the 20th century.

So I got a DNA test for Christmas.  I have been telling you all that I am mostly Czech.  I know for certain that my ancestors came from Bohemia.  If the DNA test is to be trusted, however, my ancestors were Germanic people living in Bohemia rather than Slavs. 

It is a bit of a shock to discover that what you have always thought you were isn't so.  It is especially true you have no love of Germans or Germany.

The Germans because of her arrogance ruled Europe after the fall of Rome. The Germanic King, Charlemagne, brought Europe out of the Dark Ages and into civilization. Most of Europe's royal family have German blood. They are a very creative people but such brutality to hold on to power!

#15 Feb 18, 2019 11:58 am

Real Distwalker
Active

There is no genetic difference between northern Germans and the English.  Not that can be discerned.  The Anglo-Saxons of Britain came from Germany and the Normans came from Scandinavia and Germany.  It's all the same stuff.

So, yes.  We are cousins.  Very likely much closer than 20 times removed.

#16 Feb 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

There is no genetic difference between northern Germans and the English.  Not that can be discerned.  The Anglo-Saxons of Britain came from Germany and the Normans came from Scandinavia and Germany.  It's all the same stuff.

So, yes.  We are cousins.  Very likely much closer than 20 times removed.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPho … rance.html

The Normans invaded England in 1066. They were Vikings ( Vikings were a Germanic race from Scandinavia) Celts, who were in England are of a different bloodline.

#17 Feb 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Calypso
Active

PS RD:

My research shows that you are right. Europeans are a mixed race of peoples. Mostly of Germanic blood!

#18 Feb 18, 2019 12:27 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Even the Celts migrated to Britain from central Europe.  The Brits are made up of the original stone age inhabitants, Celts, Anglo-Saxons, Danes and Normans.  In other words lots Germanic peoples made up the English.  The Welsh, Scots and Irish didn't get so much mixing and are generally a bit less Germanic than the English.

Again, none of this means anything.  It is just trivia.

#19 Feb 18, 2019 2:07 pm

New Historian
Active

We're all Africans.

#20 Feb 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

We're all Africans.

Truth.