You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 21, 2019 6:29 pm

Calypso
Active

WHEN AND HOW CAN THE ISLANDS FREE THEMSELVES FROM COLONIAL CONTROL?

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/ … -_15717745

This article is simple and well-written.

#2 Feb 21, 2019 6:39 pm

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

Re: WHEN AND HOW CAN THE ISLANDS FREE THEMSELVES FROM COLONIAL CONTROL?

Here is another suggestion... Be sure to pay off outstanding loans from the Chinese and they won't have to seize collateral.

#3 Feb 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:

Simple I would agree with.

Maybe the writer should move from the comfort of philly?

Become a republic and you could be as isolated as Britain is about to become as it recklessly tries to escape the EU dragnet.

#4 Feb 23, 2019 6:47 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Become a republic and you could be as isolated as Britain is about to become as it recklessly tries to escape the EU dragnet.

I think most countries will escape the Eu dragnet when Britain leaves. I think Europe will become even more anti-immigration if they all leave the EU. And if they don't want immigrants from their former colonies in their countries, where does that leave the island peoples?

#5 Feb 23, 2019 6:48 am

Calypso
Active

Beautiful Bradly Bolton wrote:

Here is another suggestion... Be sure to pay off outstanding loans from the Chinese and they won't have to seize collateral.

Oh, we will owe the Chinese until we hare just little dots in their hands.

#6 Feb 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

I think most countries will escape the Eu dragnet when Britain leaves. I think Europe will become even more anti-immigration if they all leave the EU. And if they don't want immigrants from their former colonies in their countries, where does that leave the island peoples?

The first statement may come to pass, the whole enterprise revolves around the french, and foremost German economies. When one of the main subsidy countries leaves it will leave the more impoverished countries for which the economic pattern is less favourable to become a more direct drain on the Germans, an resentment will build.

Britain like America NEEDS migrants, just not every tom dick or ferdinand that decides to hop on the ferry from France.

Why should ANY country simply open the gates and let in the lowest of the low, they can grow them at home without any help. Come with a useful skill set and the ability to speak the language, even the unskilled will most likely get short term visa's to do crop picking.

Possibly extraction from the EU will improve transits between the EX colonies.... remember you wanted freedom from Colonial rule, it comes with a price.

#7 Feb 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

The first statement may come to pass, the whole enterprise revolves around the french, and foremost German economies. When one of the main subsidy countries leaves it will leave the more impoverished countries for which the economic pattern is less favourable to become a more direct drain on the Germans, an resentment will build.

Britain like America NEEDS migrants, just not every tom dick or ferdinand that decides to hop on the ferry from France.

Why should ANY country simply open the gates and let in the lowest of the low, they can grow them at home without any help. Come with a useful skill set and the ability to speak the language, even the unskilled will most likely get short term visa's to do crop picking.

Possibly extraction from the EU will improve transits between the EX colonies.... remember you wanted freedom from Colonial rule, it comes with a price.

You are a white man ( no insult here) so your mentality is different. You think on the side of the ruler not the ruled. Ending colonial rule was good for it pushed many blacks into the middle-class.  We could now educate ourselves and no longer do menial jobs. Colonialism was not good for it took the wealth from the colonies and placed it in the hands of the European nations. They, the Europeans, never really left us. They control us  under the scene. After 51 years of being free from the masters, we are still dependent. I would love to go home after retirement but is being scared out of it because of the poverty in Jamaica. Look, if the island struck oil, sit back and see what is going to happen. It is not going to benefit us. The super-powers will gobble it up and give us the dregs. What a blasted shame.

#8 Feb 24, 2019 6:06 pm

houston
Active

If Jamaica struck oil, would they manage the resource without corruption?
Or would they call in the colonial experts to manage it for them with a bit of an incentive for those in authority?

#9 Feb 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Expat
Active

Grenada is sitting on an oilfield, can they get off their arses and organise a drilling company to start drawing the stuff up.... apparently not. In the mean time Trinidad will simply swing its drill bits sideways into our oil and siphon it off.  By the time our lot wake up it will be all gone.

#10 Feb 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

You are a white man ( no insult here) so your mentality is different. You think on the side of the ruler not the ruled. Ending colonial rule was good for it pushed many blacks into the middle-class.  We could now educate ourselves and no longer do menial jobs. Colonialism was not good for it took the wealth from the colonies and placed it in the hands of the European nations. They, the Europeans, never really left us. They control us  under the scene. After 51 years of being free from the masters, we are still dependent. I would love to go home after retirement but is being scared out of it because of the poverty in Jamaica. Look, if the island struck oil, sit back and see what is going to happen. It is not going to benefit us. The super-powers will gobble it up and give us the dregs. What a blasted shame.

Apart for hearing the word colonies, I probably, like the vast majority of brits had little or no idea about the history or impact of Britannia. Most normal run of the mill Brits were simply getting by. There seems to be a a mentality that the subjects of the mother country were somehow better off by default, whereas just as everywhere the "working class" .... which means different things in England and America have almost no connection with the products of Colonialism, and certainly wouldn't think that getting a 2lb bag of sugar 10 pence cheaper due to trading was worth the fuss.

Companies made and exploited the Colonies... with the help of Government I am sure.... Especially back in the days of Rhodes and the like.

You will not like the concept, but Britain was a trading nation, and the colonies were simply part of the trading process, hardly any different to any big business trading today.  Just as Supermarkets oppress their suppliers by making them wait on payment, and keep driving down the price.

Corruption exists everywhere, as we know, there is plenty of white collar crime. But the emerging nations seem to have it as a norm rather than the exception. Is it not time to take responsibility for ones own actions rather than throwing it back to the Massa?

Board footer