You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 07, 2019 8:30 pm

Expat
Active

Coloured is in the bad list again.

You can't do right for doing wrong.

I may be wrong, but I think it was a Tory woman was defending Dianne Abbott, and saying how unjust it was for Black people and especially women to be targeted on social media etc. In mid chat, as it was on a radio show she said Abbott was a coloured woman..... who tell her to say dat. Apparently Abbott who she was supporting heard the show get on she tail and give her one slap down for using outdated racially offensive names.

FFS.

I get it coloured is edgy in places like Richmond Virginia, and Soweto, but what ever many faults we had in the UK, we didn't have coloureds only whites only water fountains, or coloured in the back of the bus.

From my small knowledge it was just a means of saying non white or Caucasian. There were plenty of racially offensive names going round, but coloureds wasn't one of them..... in Britain. Abbott get over your silly black self. You have been chewing on Jeremies chopper for too long, it has gone to your brain.

#2 Mar 07, 2019 9:06 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Coloured is in the bad list again.

She's got baggage, it's called Windrush, so of course people are looking at her a certain way.

#3 Mar 07, 2019 11:59 pm

Expat
Active

Born in 53 in PADDINGTON.

I guess all those years in University gave her the pseudo posh accent.

Her folks may have come off the windrush, but she didn't. Jamaica Mon Jamaica. Innit.

Or was the reference to her stand for a fairer deal for those in limbo because of the cock up by the Home Office?

Last edited by Expat (Mar 08, 2019 12:04 am)

#4 Mar 08, 2019 8:13 am

New Historian
Active

Her stand for a fairer deal? How about her presiding over the whole mess in the first place, then trying to extricate her hoof from her upper orifice? You're out of touch with Blighty mate, you're more of a "reverse expat" these days lol!!

#5 Mar 08, 2019 10:22 am

Real Distwalker
Active

If you say "colored people" you are a nasty racist.  If you say "people of color" you are woke.

There.  Hope that helps.

#6 Mar 08, 2019 2:25 pm

New Historian
Active

How about if you say plain old black people, what are you just old?

#7 Mar 08, 2019 5:11 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I love you brother no matter how long God left you in the toaster.

04b99ab6c48efeb77262000d1b274b4e.jpg

#8 Mar 09, 2019 11:34 am

New Historian
Active

Good one RD, even if you didn't go in the toaster at all!

#9 Mar 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Slice
Active

We too damn sensitive.  Thank God when ah was working, there was two white Hilly Billy looking guys we use to call each other any name we want too. I did get in trouble once, when me boss hear me  call him ah Racial name, but both came to my rescue.

Last edited by Slice (Mar 10, 2019 10:44 am)

#10 Mar 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Vanni
Active

Check the real feelings behind political correctness or incorrectness. Nowadays there are acceptable words and words which initiate a hurricane. Yet, someone with respectful words can hide behind them with the nastiest of feelings. And someone with a clumsy use of words may genuinely care.

I find today's sensitivity over words sometimes dangerous. While I totally condemn insults, some people using words not intended as insults may get gassed, while some people who know exactly what words to use, while stabbing in the back with style, are still not being detected for who they really are.

Was this the purpose of political correctness? One could think so?

Board footer