You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 12, 2019 9:08 pm

gripe
Active

"Farewell Letter" re Grenada by Peter Gernert

For anyone interested in Grenada and its future, please read the opinion piece here:

https://www.nowgrenada.com/2019/03/farewell-letter/

Your thoughts and responses are expected.

#2 Mar 12, 2019 11:49 pm

Expat
Active

Re: "Farewell Letter" re Grenada by Peter Gernert

Wow.

Probably great platefuls of truth. We (generic) tend to raise our eyes to the sky and say time after time.... only in Grenada.

Only it doesn't have to be that way. Unfortunately often things like stupid pride, and ostrich syndrome prevent progress, as few seem prepared to take advice from those who are either returnees, or skilled and talented people who simply want to help pull the country up by it's boot straps. Probably the biggest culprits being those who living in this starchy authoritarian country have gained some form of education, and feel they are simply superior regardless of how slow witted they are.

A very simple example.

Decades ago I was hanging out with my now deceased stepson in law who was extensively involved in the building trade. He had a large compressor that wasn't working. I was just hanging around while they stripped it down.... not really paying too much attention as it wasn't an item I would normally get involved in.

Although I had made some fairly sensible suggestions which obviously no one listened to, to the point they actually ignored me, as if I hadn't spoken. Lets face it, who am I a white guy that just happened to be around, why the hell should I know anything about things mechanical.

Then .... they simply could not get a wheel nut off, so they couldn't get the tyre repaired. The whole hub was coated in concrete.

The bashed, they strained they bashed some more. No way would the nut come off the stud.

When they finally collapsed in a heap of jibbering failure. I said. Get a Coke, and pour it over the studs, and come back tomorrow. They looked aghast, and finally did what I said, having nothing else they could do.

The next day back we came, but they did not even have a spanner or socket to fit, so I improvised a fit, and they tried to undo the nut, and creak clunk, off it came. At which point the news seemed to have spread that at that time I worked for Rolls Royce..... Rolls Royce was heard to be muttered in awe between these previously diffident companions.

At which point I was put in charge of reassembling a device I hadn't really seen taken apart. And repairing the glass fibre canopy which was sadly falling apart.

Had I not dug them out of a hole right in front of their stupid eyes they would have continued to ignore all the advice I as a skilled engineer not only of things mechanical, as I was qualified in light vehicle mechanics, but I also actively built and repaired motor vehicle bodies, from trucks, through buses to cars. But how dare I make suggestions to these cowboys with a wrench.

Not all, but many of Grenada's populace need a bloody hard kick up the arse.

#3 Mar 13, 2019 6:45 am

gripe
Active

Expat, your response in light of Mr. Gernert's scathing truisms about what's happening at home speak volumes. Change is urgently needed because, as your comments prove, often we don't know who really are interested in promoting our best interests because we refuse to accept that we don't have all the answers. A little humility would help. Otherwise, we are spinning top in mud!

#4 Mar 13, 2019 8:09 am

Slice
Active

Every word of that article is truth. that man know what the hell he is speaking about.  Grenlec one of the better companies in Grenada, are punished, they are the only company in Grenada, that pays ah special tax.  The tax was created because GRENLEC opposed the govermnet.  Here is the interesting thing,  Your average Grenadain are happy.  I just doh get it.

They know lots of diseases that are easily treated in other parts of the world, if they get it they can die, but it is either they are woefully ignorant or they just doh give ah rats ass.

What gets me is there are so much potential, but not ah soul is doing anything about it.

The ignorance of most Grenadians behooves me.  Here is the other thing,  The opposition party or NDC is just as bad as  the ruling party, there ent no plan, to better the country.

Tiefing Keith is ah cult leader and yes they are following him blindly.

GRENLEC is doing more for Grenadians than the govermnet.

#5 Mar 13, 2019 11:39 am

Expat
Active

gripe wrote:

Expat, your response in light of Mr. Gernert's scathing truisms about what's happening at home speak volumes. Change is urgently needed because, as your comments prove, often we don't know who really are interested in promoting our best interests because we refuse to accept that we don't have all the answers. A little humility would help. Otherwise, we are spinning top in mud!

Unfortunately change is NOT going to happen. It is without doubt the temperament/mindset of the people. They are either dirt poor, cannot get a break and drink or drug themselves into indifference hence the highest alcohol consumption rate in the region, if not the Americas, or they came from a well off enough family to get a decent education, go away become Lawyers, and come back to screw everyone. Or simply get a job in management with a very tight tie around their neck cutting off the oxygen so their ability to see past their very short noses is reduced to nil.

If you want to buy product in Hubbards you need time and patience as their material collection process is prehistoric, you the customer have to traipse back and forth getting things stamped and counter signed, and "YOU MUST HAVE YOUR NAME ON THE RECIEPT" I challenged this, and it seems they are protecting against the one in a million chance that you drop the receipt, a crook picks it up, wanders round the store and then takes a new item to the cashier to get a refund.

They don't trust the customers, they don't trust the staff. For goodness sake install some cameras and make sure everyone knows they are being watched. Tiefing go go down to cents on the dollar. But no, lets do it the good old tried and trusted 1900's way the Colonialists taught us.

I am sorry, I live here, I like living here, but its like going back to the 1920's. They are so far behind the ball they can't even see it, they can just hear it rolling in the distance.

Last edited by Expat (Mar 13, 2019 3:06 pm)

#6 Mar 13, 2019 3:40 pm

gripe
Active

Expat, if your name was not different from the author of that letter one would not be wrong in saying that you wrote or co-authored the letter (but refused to take credit for so doing).

My commentary aside, you are correct in so many ways. The change that needs urgently to take place is with the "mindset" of the population.

#7 Mar 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Calypso
Active

gripe wrote:

For anyone interested in Grenada and its future, please read the opinion piece here:

https://www.nowgrenada.com/2019/03/farewell-letter/

Your thoughts and responses are expected.

It's a very powerful letter but the Caribbean islands have sold to the highest bidder. I would like to live in Jamaica again but I don't know.

#8 Mar 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Slice
Active

There are some consolation, I think it was NH who told me, that in some instances Barbados is worst, and me good PADNAH who is Grenadian, but resides in T&T say stop bitching, Trini is worst.

#9 Mar 13, 2019 8:00 pm

gripe
Active

Slice, it is sometimes good to be comparative for "consolation" sake. Yet, really, if my house is rotten and falling down, I would take little comfort that my neighbour's house seconds ago came crashing down. Why? I am not far behind.

In light of the discussion, can we reflect a bit on March 13, 1979? Where could we be today , if . . .?

#10 Mar 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

There are some consolation, I think it was NH who told me, that in some instances Barbados is worst, and me good PADNAH who is Grenadian, but resides in T&T say stop bitching, Trini is worst.

I think you are right, I thing NH did say things were worse in Barbados, and as it is a long time since I either had a forced layover in Barbados, or a long weekend there I am not in a position to judge. But Backaday they certainly seemed to have cornered the UK market for tourism, with their we are more British than the British approach. And from what I have seen they still have a very steady stream of flights from the UK every day. Which knocks our 2 x BA flights and 2 x Virgin flights a week into a cocked hat.

We all know Trinidad is like Chicago on a hot summers day, and not a safe place to be, so Grenada's relative calm is good. But although there is building of hotels and private houses going on, the place still feels stuck in a time warp.

Board footer