You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Mar 16, 2019 7:05 am

Slice
Active

Re: The Grenada Revolution

I think Expat was having ah few Rivers.  I doh understand what he is saying.

#12 Mar 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

Who exactly is a legitimate gun owner?

After you spout all that bollocks... THEN.... you ask who is a legitimate gun owner.... Sheeeesh. What a dick.

#13 Mar 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

I think Expat was having ah few Rivers.  I doh understand what he is saying.

UMM, for the more stupid of our membership. Legitimate... legal... authorised... permitted... NOT Stolen, illegally imported, not bought on the Black Market. LEGAL.... the opposite of illegal, and who gives a crap whether it was in Portugal Italy America, or New Zealand, the point I very simply made was that on this occasion the perpetrator had some how passed the required tests, to LEGALLY own those weapons.

The reason for saying that was that in this kind of event it is extremely rare for the perpetrator to actually LEGALLY possess the firearms. Criminals, and terrorist do not normally go to the local gun store and ask for identifiable weapons. They use stolen ones which cannot be connected to them if they clean them and hurl them in a river.

For this reason except in the case of spontaneous acts of rage or total stupidity owners of legal guns do not go on shooting sprees because the license is easy to lose, and impossible to get back.

Do we now all understand legal/legitimate... wasn't hard was it?

#14 Mar 16, 2019 5:52 pm

houston
Active

It's not about the legality of a gun. It's about the hate filled people that have no problem obtaining and using a gun.
Advocates say that the gun is out of control so everyone needs to arm up to protect themselves.
I say the for the 900th. time that I have no problem with well managed hunting practices or the sport shooter that feels the need to go to the range fire off a few rounds.
Yes, the cat is long out of the bag, so therefore no way of controlling other than stiffer penalties. Caught with an unregistered firearm, go directly to jail for 5 years. Caught discharging that firearm, go directly to jail for 10 years.
Anyone with an illegal, unregistered firearm would have to be pretty stupid to be in possession of that gun. I would be willing to bet that stiffer penalties by the courts could cut gun crime in half, but the same repeat offenders are released over and over again.

#15 Mar 16, 2019 6:57 pm

houston
Active

I know only one person that owns a handgun and I ask why?
They are restricted and quite a hassle to get a license for. Why the need? Can't hunt with one and what would you hunt for with a hand gun anyway?
I think he likes to be special and on occasion go to the range and fire it off.
Why go through that hassle for an occasional thrill, I will never understand?

#16 Mar 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

It's not about the legality of a gun. It's about the hate filled people that have no problem obtaining and using a gun.
Advocates say that the gun is out of control so everyone needs to arm up to protect themselves.
I say the for the 900th. time that I have no problem with well managed hunting practices or the sport shooter that feels the need to go to the range fire off a few rounds.
Yes, the cat is long out of the bag, so therefore no way of controlling other than stiffer penalties. Caught with an unregistered firearm, go directly to jail for 5 years. Caught discharging that firearm, go directly to jail for 10 years.
Anyone with an illegal, unregistered firearm would have to be pretty stupid to be in possession of that gun. I would be willing to bet that stiffer penalties by the courts could cut gun crime in half, but the same repeat offenders are released over and over again.

So for 99% of what you just wrote I would even dream of arguing with you.

But depending on Country there are various restrictions, or freedoms, depending on THAT country.

I think you know I am personally in favour of greater gun control. I think the 2nd amendment is a load of Bllks, as currently interpreted. I do not see every Tom Dick and Nancy as a well regulated militia. It is a really crap piece of judgement.

That said given strict regulation, and reasonable reasons for owning one. Actual need for self defense, sporting and hunting, even just fun plinking. But wandering around town with an AR15 over your shoulder "because I can" is just insane.

#17 Mar 17, 2019 11:58 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

I know only one person that owns a handgun and I ask why?
They are restricted and quite a hassle to get a license for. Why the need? Can't hunt with one and what would you hunt for with a hand gun anyway?
I think he likes to be special and on occasion go to the range and fire it off.
Why go through that hassle for an occasional thrill, I will never understand?

If you haven't been involved in it, then no, you will just stand  side on the sidelines shaking your head.

Do you say the same thing about Golf. Snooker, Darts. No, because apart from hitting a passing pedestrian with a golf ball, or being drunk you are unlikely to throw a dart so badly as to impale some one.

Whereas as we all know a hand gun is very good at killing people.

Yes I shot hand guns in the UK before they were banned for at least 10 years, and during that entire time I never thought of them as killing machines. I was not in a well regulated militia, I was in a well regulated gun club, that instilled you with respect for the device from before you were even allowed to touch it, followed by strict observation until everyone was comfortable that you were both well behaved, but also sensible, and safety aware. For me for all that time it was simply a mental challenge primarily against myself to try to improve my accuracy, which for 99.9999% or people is not a simple straight of the box thing, most people have to spend hours refining their skills, and building muscle memory. Shooting is NOTHING like in the cowboys or the latest gang movie.

It was actually after hand guns were banned, and I was discussing it with a non shooter, and I made as if to fire a shot in the classic two finger style of pretense, and I suddenly realised that the source of my pretense some 50-100 feet away would unquestionably been dead had I really been holding a gun.... which was kind of sobering.

However whether shooting rifles, pistols, shotguns, competitive shooting is a challenge, and fun. A lot more cerebral than you would imagine.

As a qualified/certified Range Conducting Officer in more than one country, I can assure you I do not tolerate dumb assed behaviour.

And as you can see from my Avatar, which was just a rested sporting rifle, I do not miss easily. Were it a prone target rifle the hole would have been much smaller.

Last edited by Expat (Mar 18, 2019 12:02 am)

Board footer