You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 19, 2019 10:09 am

Slice
Active

THE VERY WORST ASSIGNMNETS YOU WIFE CAN GIVE YOU.

Three months ago, wifee gave me an assignment to find her  a car.  I got the budget and the kinds of vehicles.  Yesterday I thought I found the perfect vehicles. A BM and ah Volvo.  The BM to me was golden, low milage sweet price. She worked with the Finance manager, after I schooled her and told her what not to say and what to say.  All the time I am right there with her.  She said ah love it but ah doh like the shape, it looks like her hurse.

I went right up the street to ah Volvo dealer, lord ah found the Magic car, a 2018 Volvo  with 13,000 miles.  This time I negotiated the price and got ah $5,000 kinda discount. I was feeling great the car drives sweet and in prefect shape.  She also loved it.  Then she came home and read the reviews and completely changed her mind.

Poor me, now I am back to square one.  Why are men and women so damn different when it comes to buying vehicles.  When ah buying ah car, ah know what ah want, ah go the dealer and by the end of the day, I am driving home with me car.

#2 Mar 19, 2019 10:41 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: THE VERY WORST ASSIGNMNETS YOU WIFE CAN GIVE YOU.

Worst fight wife and I ever got in was over a car.  I was ready to write a check for a new $50,000 Lexus.  We had to drive 120 miles to Des Moines to find a dealer.   This was the car she wanted.  When she got there, she decided that she didn't like the shape of the grill and wanted to keep looking.  I about lost it.

#3 Mar 19, 2019 2:54 pm

New Historian
Active

I had the same no-win battle, I could have won the argument and gotten the car I wanted - or I could have a happy wife/life. No guesses.

#4 Mar 19, 2019 3:15 pm

New Historian
Active

Our father loved fast, stylish cars and between Grenada, Guyana and Trinidad from 1950 to 1960 he owned a total of six vehicles. His favourite was the iconic British car company MG, of which he owned three:

1.    MG Y Saloon: This had the unique feature of four built-in hydraulic jacks at each corner, so you could jack up the entire car and remove all the wheels simultaneously. It had “suicide” front doors that opened from back to front, but it was the back door that nearly killed my big brother. Aged three, he was in the back seat fiddling around with the door handle, when it suddenly flew open – while Dad was driving at 30mph! Gerry was hanging on for dear life with his shoes scuffing along the road, as Dad frantically braked to a stop. Did our father hug up his son, for surviving that dangerous incident? Did he hell: whack-whack-whack, don’t do that again! Somehow Dad ended up driving this particular car into the sea at the Carenage, , and that was the end of that!

2.    Morris Oxford MO: A big black beast with rounded fenders, with lots of chrome and a column gear shift.

3.    Vauxhaul Wyvern: A four-door saloon that came out in 1948, it had a badge with a Griffin on the front grille.

4.    MG Magnette ZA: Back to MG’s, the first of two models he owned in Trinidad, the ZA had a flat rear window

5.    MG Magnette ZB: The ZB had the feature of a curved rear glass, which was quite tricky to manufacture back then. It had a “massive” 64 horsepower engine and came out in 1956. His was the Varitone model with a larger rear window and two-tone paint job.

6.    Standard Ten: A frugal little car from the short-lived Standard Motor Company, the “Ten” was in reference to its diminutive horsepower. This car was a huge comedown for us kids, after the luxury of the MG Magnettes he’d owned previously, so we christened it the “Standard Penny” – we had high standards!

Then we moved to England, and we didn’t have cars of any description for the next four years.

MG-Magnette.jpg

Last edited by New Historian (Mar 19, 2019 3:18 pm)

#5 Mar 22, 2019 9:28 am

Slice
Active

Ok ah tink ah found ah car, that she likes.  Ah keeping me finger crossed.  Test drive was fine, and ah was able to get $5000 deducted.  Lord please take me outa this nightmare.  Ah wand move on. Ah need to start planning to go Grenada.  Wont happen until I find wifee ah ride.

Board footer