You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 21, 2019 10:24 pm

Expat
Active

Adjudicated that Glyphosate DOES cause cancer.

So, part of  a mailshot I received today.

We’ve talked about how a day of reckoning has been coming for Monsanto…

That day came this week when a jury concluded that glyphosate—the active ingredient in Roundup—was responsible for causing 70-year-old Edwin Hardeman’s non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma…

This is the same verdict a jury reached last year when a jury determined the toxin was responsible for Dewayne “Lee” Johnson developing the same type of cancer…

Only this time, the verdict is much more significant.

Why?

Because this time the science was on trial…. Here’s what I mean:

A judge decided that the case was too complicated for the attorneys to argue all the facts at one time.

The reason was that a good attorney could use sympathy for the victim to persuade a jury even if the science wouldn’t stand up to scrutiny… SO:

Instead of trying the case all at once, the first hurdle was to prove the science behind the accusation was legit.

In other words—the only thing that was discussed was the research proving that glyphosate either does or does not cause cancer…

This gave both sides a chance to present all of the research available on the subject… Including research the EPA and Monsanto (now owned by Bayer) would rather keep covered up.

The verdict was unanimous: Glyphosate causes cancer.

Now phase two of the trial picks up when the jury must decide how much liability Monsanto has…

In other words—were they aware of what the science clearly proves… And if so, just how much money is enough to make up for the fact that they covered up the truth for so long?

Bayer thought they had set themselves up for a sure win when they asked for the trial to be split into two phases…

Thomas Rohback, a Connecticut-based defense attorney said, “The fact that Bayer lost this trial despite it being set up in the most favorable way for them is a huge setback.”

Now they face another 11,200 similar lawsuits where this week's verdict will come into play heavily…

While we celebrate this win for the truth and humanity…

Our hearts and prayers are with those whose suffering was the only thing that brought this to light.

#2 Mar 22, 2019 8:01 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Adjudicated that Glyphosate DOES cause cancer.

A jury.  That's how we do science now?  Ask a jury to confirm a hypothesis?

#3 Mar 22, 2019 9:21 am

Slice
Active

I in the past used Roundup.  I even brought two five gallons to Grenada, to kill my weeds.  Once in Grenada I saw the news and immediately stop using it. I was asked to bring it to Grenada, dummy me did not know how dangerous it was.  What I find rather interesting is, despite the law suits, Roundup is still being advertised on TV in America.  That is what I call extreme madness.

#4 Mar 22, 2019 9:45 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

A jury.  That's how we do science now?  Ask a jury to confirm a hypothesis?

Which is the hypothesis, that it does not cause it, and is not screwing nature so badly it will take generations to get over this money making madness.

Or that there is ever growing causational evidence that it is getting into the human food chain, and is making you the fastest dying nation in the advanced World... despite having the most expensive health system in the World.

The Science, was presented by BOTH sides, as Scientists do not seem to be able to agree... probably because all the ones supporting Glyphosate are either already on the payroll, or hope to be, and the others who are independent, and not having to hope for a job in the FDA or Bayer they can be more honest, or unbiased.

#5 Mar 22, 2019 9:50 am

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

I in the past used Roundup.  I even brought two five gallons to Grenada, to kill my weeds.  Once in Grenada I saw the news and immediately stop using it. I was asked to bring it to Grenada, dummy me did not know how dangerous it was.  What I find rather interesting is, despite the law suits, Roundup is still being advertised on TV in America.  That is what I call extreme madness.

I use various Herbicides including Roundup to slaughter weed growth. It is still potentially hazardous to the environment, and maybe me, but I only use a small amount and I am not using it in any way shape or form to assist with crops of any kind. To spray to desiccate a crop just prior to harvest is insane.

PS, you can buy it easily enough over here.. I guess like most things it is double the price but it is available.

#6 Mar 22, 2019 10:02 am

New Historian
Active

Years ago I worked in Jamaica for an Israeli-run export vegetable farm, man we used to import chemicals by the trailer loads! Pretty toxic stuff too, I particularly remember this stuff called 2-4-D, for which we had to get all kinds of approvals to export/import. Our "chemical crew" looked like they worked in Chernobyl!! Hope they all still okay...

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/24Dgen.html

Last edited by New Historian (Mar 22, 2019 10:02 am)

#7 Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

Or that there is ever growing causational evidence that it is getting into the human food chain, and is making you the fastest dying nation in the advanced World... despite having the most expensive health system in the World.

What the [f word] ever.  You have no idea but you are predictable as hell in your quackery.

Frankly, if your organic religion prevails against the Agricultural Revolution, hundreds of millions will starve as agricultural production collapses.  That you and your ilk persist in attacking modern agriculture is objectively evil.

America has a slightly lower life span than other nations but a bit of parsing of that data would reveal that it doesn't have dick to do with cancer.   New Zealand, Australia and Ireland have the highest cancer rates in the world.   Substantially higher than that of the US.  Why?  Because sunlight causes cancer... especially in the Southern Hemisphere and among the lightest skin people.  The sun is orders of magnitude more likely to cause cancer than the crap you worry about.

The Americans who dying at a faster rate are white, blue-collar men.  They are dying of addiction and suicide.  That doesn't have dick to do with Round-Up.  It has to do with a trend that will soon affect the rest of the world, even smug Europeans.

Actually, by the simple fact that you live in Grenada you are exposed to the carcinogen that is UV rays much, much more than I am here in Iowa where the sun never touches me at least six months a year and is much less intense during the other six.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Mar 22, 2019 2:52 pm)

#8 Mar 22, 2019 3:29 pm

New Historian
Active

"The Americans who dying at a faster rate are white, blue-collar men.  They are dying of addiction and suicide."

Care to cite any data that backs up your claim that opiods and suicides are MATERIALLY affecting average life expectancy? I doubt it. By your logic about sun power killing off poor melanin deprived people, then they should be dropping like flies in Israel, yet Israelis have the 14th highest life expectancy - go figure? Who are dropping like flies are you lot: America ranks 43rd with a life expectancy of 79 years - even shitholes like Puerto Rico and Anguilla - who are also subjected to the killer sun - live longer than "healthy wealthy" Americans. Go figure? So if the USA healthcare system is the best in the world, why don't they live any longer than Cubans? PS this is your CIA source.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication … a_2102.txt

#9 Mar 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Here you go...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho … of-despair

Here is skin cancer by county.  What do you notice about the countries? (Hint: Who is most prone to skin cancer?)

https://www.wcrf.org/dietandcancer/canc … statistics

New Historian wrote:

So if the USA healthcare system is the best in the world, why don't they live any longer than Cubans? PS this is your CIA source.

Because quality of health care has nothing to do with why the mortality rate is higher in the US.

New Historian wrote:

PS this is your CIA source. https://www.cia.gov/library/publication … a_2102.txt

Why do the US and the EU have statistically same life expectancies if the US is such a disaster?   Cuba is lower than both and I wouldn't believe any statistic from a totalitarian government with a ministry of propaganda.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Mar 22, 2019 4:21 pm)

#10 Mar 22, 2019 4:15 pm

New Historian
Active

White people's "deaths of despair" is the same as Black people's daily existence for hundreds of years. Poor white people.

Board footer