You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Apr 20, 2019 8:18 pm

houston
Active

Is this Brexit?

I hope that Ireland has learned from the past and become more wise.
This behavior looks to be nothing more than act of street punks.
https://nationalpost.com

#2 Apr 20, 2019 8:23 pm

houston
Active

Re: Is this Brexit?

Sorry, meant to post this one of the Irish behaving like idiots again.
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/nor … for-killer

#3 Apr 20, 2019 8:39 pm

Expat
Active

My take as a Brit that has been nearly bombed several times, and have lived watching the pull and push of Northern Ireland on a daily basis, this is a re-emergence of an extremist separatist group. The old cadre have grown up and decided that a fractured peace is better than an extended war. The young though being idealists and often bloody stupid will do horrendous things feeling justified by the cause.

There were factions within the IRA for decades, now the IRA is united, but spin offs are determined to continue the fight even with the IRA condemning them. These are not street punks.

Street punks, drug dealers and the like end up badly beaten or knee capped by the paramilitaries. They feel it is their duty to maintain their version of law and order where the real police cannot tread.

#4 Apr 20, 2019 10:06 pm

houston
Active

Expat, Ireland has matured since your day of paramilitary groups. The problem today is how to deal with borders and that effed up Brexit issue.

#5 Apr 20, 2019 10:20 pm

Expat
Active

You started the thread with reference to the murder of a gay journalist who was taking photo's with her phone while a Catholic section of Derry? threw petrol bombs at the police.

They were not doing that because of Brexit. They were doing it because the police were going in to pick up dissidents and firearms.

Brexit undoubtedly is a massive problem with respect to Ireland, but it was not the under pinning of the murder that just happened.

Lets think about it. Ireland doesn't want the border to return. Britain doesn't WANT the border to return, but some form of barrier has to emerge as Britain/Northern Ireland will be outside the Customs Union.

The Separatist.... used to be known as IRA don't want a border, but they don't want Britain on the Island of Ireland. They do not want pseudo British Police messing in Loyalist areas, the just want Ireland united under one flag.... Irish. These young fellas are terrorists.

While I stated the IRA etc have matured and prefer the fractured peace it is as clear as the zit on your nose that this latest spin off is hard line probably more so that it's predecessor.

And no the paramilitaries are still there, they are not going to give up the money making projects they were involved in for so long.

I have a very good Catholic friend who is from and still spends months at a time in Belfast, I get down to earth info on life in that neck of the woods.

Last edited by Expat (Apr 20, 2019 10:23 pm)

#6 Apr 20, 2019 11:15 pm

houston
Active

Okay, I'll let the Dempsey family know how much Expat loves them and sends his special thoughts.

#7 Apr 21, 2019 5:15 pm

houston
Active

Expat, let me know how your friend makes out with any details.
FYI only, I know people in high places that know people in low places.

Board footer