You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 May 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Spring has not Sprung

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

You might think YOU can adapt to it on your little island in the middle of Iowa, but you are plain wrong, the ramifications of crops failing, fish stocks depleting as the nurseries for these fish die out. not to mention the plastics and mercury that the fish and crustaceans are eating that WE are eating.  The escalation of the process, the total disappearance of critical states which are low lying which if there is any humanity will have to be rehoused SOMEWHERE, but maybe not in your back yard eh.

Yeah, I know Chicken Little, I have been hearing that the sky is falling for decades.  It's always falling but it never seems to bonk me on the head.

Here is what I don't get.  Why do you get all worked up about it?  It's like you think if you just get angry enough, you can get the sun to rise in the west tomorrow morning.

There isn't a damned thing you or I can do about the climate.  I am virtually certain mankind can't do anything about it.  Even if I am wrong about that, I am absolutely, positively certain mankind WON'T do anything about it.  Qué será, será, whatever will be, will be.

Do you know the Serenity Prayer?

Grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,

and the wisdom to know the difference.

As someone who unconditionally believes in God, I guess leaving it all up to him is the way to go.

We are right royally fricking the one planet we have a toe hold on, and to say WE cannot do anything about it is just as asinine as your duh those bees don't come from here remark.

We have doubled the World population in what 50 years and still we are going out of our way to in-vitro fertilise people who have been unlucky in the breeding stakes. We are trying to cure every ill, and save every victim of war torn regions so we can continue to breed ourselves out of existence. Alabama's latest contribution being an example. Nature is not so forgiving. Animals die horribly all the time. That pretty little skylark chirping either finds that worm, or it dies from starvation/exhaustion. Nature aint pretty.

You should repeat that like a mantra... especially the last line.

#12 May 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The climate will do what it is going to do and there is absolutely, positively nothing you can do to change it.  Nothing.  No matter what you do, it will be the same.  You are completely powerless to do anything that will have the slightest effect on the global climate.  This is a metaphysical certitude.  That you seem to think otherwise is borderline delusional.

Expat wrote:

Alabama's latest contribution being an example.

Yes, I know. You support the wholesale slaughter of the unborn on a genocidal scale.  Your support for the this barbaric butchery of the helpless won't change the climate.  Whether you support mothers killing the unborn doesn't matter in the least.

#13 May 17, 2019 1:15 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The climate will do what it is going to do and there is absolutely, positively nothing you can do to change it.  Nothing.  No matter what you do, it will be the same.  You are completely powerless to do anything that will have the slightest effect on the global climate.  This is a metaphysical certitude.  That you seem to think otherwise is borderline delusional.

Expat wrote:

Alabama's latest contribution being an example.

Yes, I know. You support the wholesale slaughter of the unborn on a genocidal scale.  Your support for the this barbaric butchery of the helpless won't change the climate.  Whether you support mothers killing the unborn doesn't matter in the least.

To say WE rather than I can do nothing is the delusional attitude.

We can change the way we harvest, we can stop the destruction of rain forest ALL OVER THE WORLD for the sake of economical advantage.  We can think about the next generations by being sensible with our reproductive practices with this generation. The Chinese over did it with their 1 child one family brutally upheld program, but certainly we could incentivise families not banging out 10 and 12 just because they know how their pecker works. Every one of those big families is likely to create more big families and then WE shall turn around and say we cannot feed the world. Or else we shall devise some other practice that will destroy our environment and the natural World to achieve it.

WE can reduce emissions, we can clean output from factory chimneys. WE could stop stupid tariffs for carbon exchange where paying a bit extra salves your conscience.

We as individuals can reduce our hydrocarbon consumption. By intelligent use of the devices we already own. We could put off buying that extra thingymabob we just fancy that has to be made at the climates expense.

WE can do a lot, it just takes not being an ostrich who claims to be intelligent well read and up to date on all things scientific when in recent months you have shown a crass ineptitude, and myopic view on many subjects that whilst not totally changeable or curable by alternate methods, can certainly be improved.

As for supporting genocide that is fairly typical of the total bollocks you splurge when you are running short of sensible debate. I disdain abortion, I would prefer to find any other alternative, I would certainly prefer counseling to help people change their minds. I also believe in people taking responsibility for their actions, whether a dumb assed teenager or promiscuous housewife.

However I personally do not believe the initial fertilisation of the egg amounts to anything more than causing cells to split. I also understand there is quite a distance down the road before the cells regardless of heart beat have any sentient ability, or ability to feel pain. I find late stage abortions disturbing to say the least, as THEY seem to be cold blooded torture of the living child which can feel  as it is being chopped up in the womb. I have absolutely no issue with "morning after" pills which could be counted as abortion just as much as any procedure.

Last edited by Expat (May 17, 2019 1:17 pm)

#14 May 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

We - you and me - can't do dick to change the climate.  We - you and me - can't convince the billions of people to do or not do anything.  This idea that if you just say "we" and wish hard enough things will happen is ludicrous.

I am green as all hell.  I have a highly insulated, geothermal heated home. I recycle and conserve when I can.  None of what I do or don't do is going to make the slightest difference in the global climate.  Not. The. Slightest.  You either.  Saying "we" like a magic word doesn't change the reality that the climate will be what it will be regardless as to what you and I do or don't do.  This isn't my opinion.  This is a metaphysical certitude.

I have no problem with morning after pills and probably wouldn't oppose an abortion in the first few weeks as a practical matter.  Abortions, however, that tear arms and legs off of living human beings happen every damned day in this world and it is murder plain and simple.  It makes me sick.

#15 May 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

We - you and me - can't do dick to change the climate.  We - you and me - can't convince the billions of people to do or not do anything.  This idea that if you just say "we" and wish hard enough things will happen is ludicrous.

I am green as all hell.  I have a highly insulated, geothermal heated home. I recycle and conserve when I can.  None of what I do or don't do is going to make the slightest difference in the global climate.  Not. The. Slightest.  You either.  Saying "we" like a magic word doesn't change the reality that the climate will be what it will be regardless as to what you and I do or don't do.  This isn't my opinion.  This is a metaphysical certitude.

I have no problem with morning after pills and probably wouldn't oppose an abortion in the first few weeks as a practical matter.  Abortions, however, that tear arms and legs off of living human beings happen every damned day in this world and it is murder plain and simple.  It makes me sick.

This all seems to be part of your current modus operandi, can't be bothered, I can't  do anything. Whereas Sundry protests I have been involved in over the decades HAVE done something.... despite the odds.

Public opinion can move mountains or stop them being moved. Indolence achieves nothing. But hey your time is soon to be over, your children and probably soon to be grand children will have the issues to deal with, and before them many edge of existence communities..  I coulda, shoulda, woulda.... but just didn't bother, after all what would my voice make a difference to. Other than maybe to save running costs, your greener house surely is part of the process? Other wise why bother.

#16 May 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Yeah, you go ahead and fix the climate.  I will congratulate you when you do.

Board footer