You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Feb 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Expat

Guns in Canada

I found this you tube both informative, and interesting.

Seems like as in the UK Guns are NOT for self defence in Canada.

Considering Grenada's attachment to the UK it is interesting you probably wpould not get a hand gun unless it WAS for self defence.

There is a world of fun out there in competitive and target shooting, yet the authorities mostly do not get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9El7gEvJWU&index=10&list=WL

OK so it hasn't dropped the video in the message area?

Last edited by Expat (Feb 07, 2017 8:36 pm)

#2 Feb 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Real Distwalker

Re: Guns in Canada

The YouTube thing seems to work best if you hit "SHARE" on YouTube and pull the URL.  At least that works best for me.

#3 Feb 08, 2017 8:50 am

Slice

Expat, I am not condemning, you because you love guns.  Here is me problem, Some gun owners are not responsible, and ah thinking there must be something that can be done to prevent some of these Gun violence.  Once folks have guns there ent no reasoning.  It seems like it is kill first and talk later.

Why can't ah good Watch dog work in the Spice?  Me cousin is about to join you club, so ah go shut up.

#4 Feb 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Expat

Slice wrote:

Expat, I am not condemning, you because you love guns.  Here is me problem, Some gun owners are not responsible, and ah thinking there must be something that can be done to prevent some of these Gun violence.  Once folks have guns there ent no reasoning.  It seems like it is kill first and talk later.

Why can't ah good Watch dog work in the Spice?  Me cousin is about to join you club, so ah go shut up.

You need to ask that of the poor individual that had a home invasion with shotgun blasting his ceiling etc.

More stuff goes on here than you hear about.

I do not love guns, I enjoy shooting.... principally as a sport, which, if you were able to see the link I posted badly, then you would have seen some Canadians who were even averse to their friends interest in owning a gun, become more interested than her in participating.  You are only tending to think about its original purpose... to defend or attack.

But if thought of as a Golf Club, or a set of Darts where immense skill is required to shoot to a decent standard, you might not be so negative.

Many things if used badly can and often do kill.  Terrorists have taken to mowing people down with lorries.... do we now ban lorries?

The Canadian methodology is far closer to my own way of thinking.  Guns there cannot be bought for self defence. Yet they are second only to America in per capita ownership.... a long way behind maybe, but still second.

Last edited by Expat (Feb 08, 2017 9:17 pm)

#5 Feb 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:

The YouTube thing seems to work best if you hit "SHARE" on YouTube and pull the URL.  At least that works best for me.

Yep, Thanks... as you can see it did work.

#6 Feb 10, 2017 8:50 pm

houston

Paintball works for me. Those things sting if you can hit the right spot.

#7 Feb 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Expat

houston wrote:

Paintball works for me. Those things sting if you can hit the right spot.

I visited a paintball location once.... and watched. Had I wanted to become a Marine/Green Beret what ever, I would have done it several decades ago, and learned to eat worms live etc.... not for me, and paintball is well,  playing at it.

I like the controlled self discipline, focus and concentration that gets a piece of lead 20yrds into a 2" group.

I have tried the ipsc discipline that I believe originates in Canada,  which could be categorised as civilian combative in its obstacle avoidance to make the shot, but it still doesn't require you to throw yourself into the mud or run around in forest track. My things sting a bit more than a paint ball.... smile

The ISPC on a well constructed course puts you up against the clock as well as the other competitors.... gets the adrenaline going.... Making it not so easy as it might look.

#8 Feb 10, 2017 10:59 pm

houston

Good to be well trained on how to handle a tool that can easily kill a person. Not so good that these tools are practiced for exactly that. Dream on if you think people join gun clubs for the joy of competition.

#9 Feb 10, 2017 11:09 pm

Expat

houston wrote:

Good to be well trained on how to handle a tool that can easily kill a person. Not so good that these tools are practiced for exactly that. Dream on if you think people join gun clubs for the joy of competition.

Funny, I have been shooting competitively since 1989, and until I came to Grenada that was exactly the reason hundreds of thousands of people shot on a regular basis. In Grenada unless you fear for your safety or are a hunter the police will not issue a gun, although technically they should not have that discretion. Under the Law it is not how much money you have, or whether you are a religious person.... Interesting the questions you get asked.   It is legally whether there is any reason why should not... But as we know individuals put their own twist on things right or wrong.

There are or were "hunters" in the midst of the UK shooters, but apart from an extraordinary minuscule number of abharants (sp) who lost the plot, no one was remotely considering human targets other than to consider what damage this or that round would have in real life.

Board footer