You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Expat
Active

Maybe you were concerned about plastics in the ocean?

Well, it is a long way from just being in the ocean.

Even our comrade on a hill in IOWA is going to be affected.

Because those of us who wear any kind of acrylic, or synthetic clothing will be shedding plastic all over the place in the form of fibers.
So even the man on the hill is likely to have plastic dust floating around in his house.... and as deep as into the aveoli in his lungs. If you live in a city like London or Baltimore, then there is literally tons of the stuff floating in the air.

Also wet wipes.... what ever they are designed to do... make up, babies, kitchens what ever, are some where around 85 percent plastic. Tons of the stuff are screened out of British sewage systems. Obviously wet wipes would be a disaster if flushed into a closed septic tank system.

If there is any chance of your waste water getting into rivers and then onto the sea.... then you are pumping plastic micro fibers into the oceans, as every time you wash your clothes many of which unless 100% cotton or wool will be letting fibers go down the drain.

The BBC was doing an expose, and even letting us know our recycle councils wittingly or otherwise have been exporting tons of the stuff to places like Malaysia.

#2 Jun 18, 2019 7:52 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Maybe you were concerned about plastics in the ocean?

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

#3 Jun 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Expat
Active

Dude you are sliding down the scale of sensible posters faster than a rocket going to Mars.

#4 Jun 19, 2019 9:32 am

Real Distwalker
Active

You don't have to concern yourself with plastics, pesticides, food additives etc.  You are going to worry yourself to death long before any of those things can harm you.

Worship the God of all, drink the wine and let the world be the world.

#5 Jun 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Expat
Active

So basically piss your children's future away... Very smart.

#6 Jun 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My children will be fine.  Even if that weren't the case, fretting over what I can't control wouldn't help them.

#7 Jun 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Expat
Active

You can't control, or apply any measure of resistance to gun control, nuclear fallout, poor government, toxic farming, abusive medical practices, and you don't seem to care.

I was thinking... RD is not stupid, he is just winding me up, or at least that is what he is trying to do.

But maybe you are just stupid.

#8 Jun 20, 2019 9:18 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Nah, I am counting on your fretting and concern to save the world.

#9 Jun 20, 2019 1:25 pm

Expat
Active

Which is blatantly stupidity of the highest level. As you know as well as I do that one persons actions will have little to no effect.... Unless they happen to be the dumbest President America has ever had. That persons actions seem destined to slide us right back to prehistoric times after the meteor hit. Reverse pollution legislation, promote coal burning, sign off off climate agreements, and brag America's air and water are the cleanest they have ever been, which as usual when Trump speaks is a blatant lie, but not only that America is about 28th in the rankings.

However if enough people show concern, torment their lethargic governments and enough effort is put into NOT damaging the World further, then maybe, just maybe a slowing down of the Earths demise could occur. Most of what has affected the planet started around the start of the Industrial revolution, although I seem to recall they (scientists) decided even the start of mankind's interest in crop growing has had an effect.

Yes, many things are out of our control.... the moon moving away, hot spots on the Sun, Volcanic events etc.  But with the World  population expanding by the second. https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/  WE are the most destructive animal on the planet and COULD make a difference.

Today the population is GROWING by over 125,000 a day.

Apathy is NOT an option.

Germany already has Hydrogen/Battery cell trains running, although admittedly only 2 for the moment, Britain is working on it's own prototype so they can replace ALL their diesel trains. As a large portion of the network is not electrified, and they figure this is a good alternative.  My worry... terrorist attacks on HYDROGEN fueled trains.....Zeppelins come to mind.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 20, 2019 1:58 pm)

#10 Jun 20, 2019 3:05 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am sure you are showing enough concern to save the world all by yourself.

Board footer