You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 25, 2019 4:14 pm

New Historian
Active

"The best country in the world" is sad

Americans constantly talk about how it's the best place in the world blah blah - but they sure are a miserable bunch! The over taxed Europeans are pigs in doo-doo compared to Yankees.

Why is that? If the Land of the Free offers so many opportunities, seems like the man and woman in the street missed that bus, they're catching hell. And when you get cancer, is bankruptcy court for you.

"Obama's calculations were a little high. Multiply 1.4 million bankruptcies by the Harvard study's 62.1 percent, and you get 877,372 bankruptcies created by medical bills."

https://www.thebalance.com/medical-bank … cs-4154729

A new study from academic researchers found that 66.5 percent of all bankruptcies were tied to medical issues —either because of high costs for care or time out of work. An estimated 530,000 families turn to bankruptcy each year because of medical issues and bills, the research found.

Happiness-2019.jpg

#2 Jun 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Expat
Active

Re: "The best country in the world" is sad

Nah, you got it all wrong. Amerikee health system is the best in the World it is affordable for all, and never has a queue.

That's why the Trumpeter wants to export it to the UK.

What he doesn't seem to understand.... like so many things, is we HAVE private health care for those that can afford to either by wealth or insurance.... jump those queues. Been there done that.

#3 Jun 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I dunno fellas.  I am pretty damned happy. smile  I just returned from fishing on Rainy Lake which straddles the Minnesota-Ontario border.  Caught some US fish and some Canadian fish.  They both tasted pretty good.  Things are pretty damned good around here.  As the song says, "My future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

#4 Jun 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Expat
Active

The fish with Canada stamped on their back bone had less nitrates.... smile

Despite your all encompassing knowledge you seem wilfully to only view things from your own myopic standpoint.  As another poster might put...... sad.

#5 Jun 25, 2019 8:12 pm

New Historian
Active

Thank you RD for so simply yet eloquently stating the "American ethos": I'm rich, I'm fine, I'm happy - [f word] all the rest of you! And where's my gun?

#6 Jun 26, 2019 12:05 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I tried that "bleeding heart that never heals" shtick you guys love so much. It solved nothing and made me miserable.  Nope, I prefer to enjoy life.

You guys enjoy your sanctimonious preening, okay?

#7 Jun 26, 2019 7:20 am

New Historian
Active

Sanctimonious preening? Correction, this is sanctimonious preening:

"I dunno fellas.  I am pretty damned happy. smile  I just returned from fishing on Rainy Lake which straddles the Minnesota-Ontario border.  Caught some US fish and some Canadian fish.  They both tasted pretty good.  Things are pretty damned good around here.  As the song says, "My future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

Is it sanctimonious to be willing to pay a higher tax rate to live in a fairer society? Sounds like common sense to me.

#8 Jun 26, 2019 10:59 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Do you know the definition of "sanctimonious"?  To be sanctimonious is to be holier-than-thou.  It is attempting to make others think you are devout and dedicated to a cause.  The Cambridge Dictionary says it is "showing that you believe you are morally better."

I am most certainly not doing that.  I am saying that I am enjoying life.  That I am not worrying about crap that doesn't affect me.  I am saying that I am willing to let the world be the world.  That is literally the opposite of sanctimony.

Sanctimony is to attempt to make people believe that your heart bleeds for others, that you worry about the less fortunate, that you want people to know that you care deeply about climate change and that your political piety is much greater than others.

That's you and Expat to a T.  You are the textbook definition of sanctimonious.

I am saying I don't give a shit.  That is far from sanctimony as you can get.

#9 Jun 26, 2019 12:10 pm

New Historian
Active

"I am saying I don't give a shit.  That is far from sanctimony as you can get."

Fine, bit my sanctimonious backside. Better than than being cold hearted and selfish, which TRULY  is the American ethos. What to expect from a nation built on genocide?

#10 Jun 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour.

Board footer