You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jun 26, 2019 2:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: "The best country in the world" is sad

What's this now, bible class? Oh I forgot, you're just being your sanctimonious, smug, selfish self: rock on you American middle class hero.

#12 Jun 26, 2019 2:25 pm

New Historian
Active

And by the way I don't know how you see yourself in a mirror, but this "image" is you, to a T:

"showing that you believe you are morally better."

You are FOREVER falling into that category, why your perfect Iowa life is the subject of intense jealousy, among us lesser beings who can only aspire to your corn-fed American utopia.

#13 Jun 26, 2019 2:45 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I make no claim to be morally better than you or anyone else.  I am happier primarily because I don't wallow around in bad news like you seem to enjoy.

Look, you guys are always making posts about how bad Americans have it.  How Americans and America are sad and pathetic and miserable.  Well, I am offering counter perspective in which life is pretty damned good here.   

It is almost as if you believe you make enough posts about how miserable Americans are, you will start to believe it yourselves.

#14 Jun 26, 2019 2:57 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I make no claim to be morally better than you or anyone else.  I am happier primarily because I don't wallow around in bad news like you seem to enjoy.

Look, you guys are always making posts about how bad Americans have it.  How Americans and America are sad and pathetic and miserable.  Well, I am offering counter perspective in which life is pretty damned good here.   

It is almost as if you believe you make enough posts about how miserable Americans are, you will start to believe it yourselves.

I've had the pleasure of living in America: in Illinois, Michigan and DC so it's not like I don't know the place. Twice I've turned down a green card and my wife gave hers back: thanks but no thanks. When you (that is you, not me) live in a country whose "leader" constantly insults other countries and races and calls them shitholes, you have to expect a little lash every now and then. Don't get all defensive on us now, take your licks like the man you are lol.

The American core belief is everyone for themselves and the Devil take the hindmost, and you are a classic example. You are well off and happy, as you say you don't give a rat's fart about the poor suckers lower down your totem pole. But we in the rest of the world don't share your self-centeredness, we don't mind paying an extra buck in taxes, if only for the selfish reason that a safety net stops the poor and destitute ending up on your street, and in your house (when you're not there). Most middle class people in England have no health insurance - it's not needed. And NO ONE goes bankrupt because of ill health, that is a mark of a civilized society.

#15 Jun 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

But you don't really know me, do you?  No, I don't give a rats ass about national issues because trying to do anything about them is a chasing after the wind.  Pointless.

What I do is work in my local community.  I volunteer with my church. We don't have tons of money to give but we have love. We have before and after school programs for kids with working parents.  It is open to all and a place to belong and feel the love.  It makes a difference for the 15 or 20 kids.  I volunteer with my small town parks and recreation department for baseball and soccer programs.  I am very involved in my American Legion post supporting elderly veterans in my community.  I know I make a difference in these areas because they involve face-to-face interactions and, yes, love.

I fucking laugh at big federal government programs.  They move money around and create an unintended problem for every problem they attempt to solve.  They alienate people.  They crowd out local programs and they are devoid of any love at all.

Expat wants me to get all red in the face about plastic in the ocean.  You want me to pay more taxes into the bottomless maw of the leviathan government run by Trump.  That doesn't solve anything.  It just makes things worse.

So, yeah, I do my part right here in small town Iowa.  I do what I can to make my community better and I don't worry about the shit I can't change.

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did,
this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right
if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonable happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

#16 Jun 26, 2019 3:54 pm

New Historian
Active

"No, I don't give a rats ass about national issues because trying to do anything about them is a chasing after the wind.  Pointless."

A blatant lie and cop-out. So you don't vote then I take it, because it's pointless. So you don't give a rat's ass about the abortion debate, because it's pointless. So you basically don't care about anything beyond the fringes of your yard, town community - because it's pointless.

If the above is true (which I doubt), then it's not the issues that are pointless, it is you.

#17 Jun 26, 2019 4:07 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

LOL!  Whatever you say slugger.  You go save the world.

#18 Jun 26, 2019 4:33 pm

New Historian
Active

So when was the last time you voted?

#19 Jun 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have never missed a national or state election since I was 18.

#20 Jun 26, 2019 10:26 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Do you know the definition of "sanctimonious"?  To be sanctimonious is to be holier-than-thou.  It is attempting to make others think you are devout and dedicated to a cause.  The Cambridge Dictionary says it is "showing that you believe you are morally better."

I am most certainly not doing that.  I am saying that I am enjoying life.  That I am not worrying about crap that doesn't affect me.  I am saying that I am willing to let the world be the world.  That is literally the opposite of sanctimony.

Sanctimony is to attempt to make people believe that your heart bleeds for others, that you worry about the less fortunate, that you want people to know that you care deeply about climate change and that your political piety is much greater than others.

That's you and Expat to a T.  You are the textbook definition of sanctimonious.

I am saying I don't give a shit.  That is far from sanctimony as you can get.

Myopic AND unobservant.

In case you hadn't noticed in many instances I am just to the right of Attila the Hun (Grumpy Expat, it's an age thing), I do however try to follow the intent of the Hippocratic oath, and not do harm.

To try to inform and encourage sensible health and lifestyle practices is nothing to do with bleeding hearts.

Being indifferent is insanity.  We have closed Richmond Hill after your guys blew the crap out of it nearly killing my Wife's Aunt, but we could still find a space for you at Mount Gay.

Fortunately America stands almost alone in it being the second largest manufacturer. but with a leader who puts greed before life.  Even the Chinese have plans to reduce their pollution.

Britain has cut coal usage from 30% to 3% in the last 10 years, is increasing renewable energy usage by something like 38% and is the first Nation pledged to be carbon neutral by 2050. They are following the Germans lead by developing hydrogen/battery trains to replace the Diesel stock where electrification is unpracticable.

Or you could shrug your shoulders and say..... The World is the World and let it run it's course. At this point were I RD I would interject some Trumpian slur, but I am not.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 26, 2019 10:30 pm)

Board footer