You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 26, 2019 11:05 pm

Expat
Active

Windrush

Just been watching a BBC presentation about some of the Windrush generation.

I did learn some things, such as the initial intake wasn't a requested call to help the Motherland after the War, rather the owners of the Windrush not wanting to take ex servicemen back to Jamaica and then return to England with an empty ship. So they put adverts into the local papers offering cheap passage.

Yes at one point the Government did ask for help, and spookily Enoch Powel was the minister who went to Barbados to recruit people to go over.

However what I also learnt, and was frankly distressed to see was the amount of covert Government machinations to hold back the Black and Brown tide. In all honesty I can see some logic to some of it, as when it was realised that most of the Indian Sub Continent was eligible to turn up Overseas British Passport in hand it could have totally destabilised the country. But at the time the Windies was small potatoes in comparison.

Interesting that for quite a while the numbers going to the UK from the West Indies for quite some time were in the high hundreds and low thousands per annum , it was only when immigrants spread the word back home (at that time wrong information) that they were going to stop letting people in that the numbers rocketed as people tried for the last opportunity to get in, The numbers then reaching around 50,000 a year. This of course sounded alarm bells in Whitehall, and immigration acts were amended to stem the tide. Had the false rumours not been spread maybe West Indians would not have been affected until they like Trinidad became Republics.

It seems that the latest debacle where people who came in as children of Migrants, and even came in with their overseas British Passport but didn't do the registration thing when it was announced...(My Wife did, and frankly couldn't understand why others didn't) fell foul of the latest toughening up which hadn't actually been meant to target them. The problem being a paragraph in a very early citizenship act which was never used for most of the 70 years no one bothered unless there was a specific immigration issue. The paragraph stating the party had to prove their entitlement, instead of the Government having to prove they were not entitled.

Then Theresa May  who was the Home Secretary at the time started a toughening up process to limit more recent immigration and the Windrush people got caught up.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm)

#2 Jun 26, 2019 11:54 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Windrush

Welcome to our world, 50 years late but I guess better late than

#3 Jun 27, 2019 9:45 am

Dancer
Active

Good post Expat.
You mean to tell me that Enoch Powel actually went to the islands Recruiting ... whoa !!!! gotta laugh, ha,ha, ha.

But your wife needs the high 5.
>>> they came from overseas with their British passports and did not do the registration thing when it was announced <<
( My wife did and frankly couldn't   understand why others didn't  ))

There is that problem with some LONG TIME  immigrants in the North and it causes lots of problems to access Govt services etc , when most needed.

...... The reasons for that   , is another story, for another day.

#4 Jun 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

Good post Expat.
You mean to tell me that Enoch Powel actually went to the islands Recruiting ... whoa !!!! gotta laugh, ha,ha, ha.

But your wife needs the high 5.
>>> they came from overseas with their British passports and did not do the registration thing when it was announced <<
( My wife did and frankly couldn't   understand why others didn't  ))

There is that problem with some LONG TIME  immigrants in the North and it causes lots of problems to access Govt services etc , when most needed.

...... The reasons for that   , is another story, for another day.

Dancer, what's up??

#5 Jun 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Dancer
Active

This is a big weekend Up North. Ist long weekend of the summer WITH July 1 being Canada Day. The national Day.
Celebrations , Fireworks , BBQ , Parades. Performing artists , like tonight , music in the City Center  and some parks .
A night for liming...lol.

Monday ... Canada Day.
Got yuh beer
Got your hamburgers
So come on over
BBq
  I  very  nearly forgot   , some will be celebration   ....the  1st Canada Day , weed out. lol

Board footer