You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 06, 2019 1:05 am

Expat
Active

So RD,

I know you are probably going to pull the plug fairly quickly as you will feel it a waste of your energy, as we have been here before etc.
BUT.
I have been playing with a downloadable program called Stellarium, which I have used off and on for years. Which shows the visible universe and beyond thanks to the satellites out there mapping the skies.

When I mentally transport myself to those far off gaseous clouds of dust preparing to be Suns and planets in far off Nebula so far away that the planets would have formed evolved and then been wiped out by the time we could get there as a multiple life time mission. Possibly with one in a billion of those planets having hopes of some form of basic life form, but all formed from the basic building blocks that we have been lucky enough to have combined on our own precious orb. Do I say thank God, for what seems to have been a very random combination of planetary locations, as even our existing solar system is not stretched out as it should be, but has evolved due to planetary jockeying maybe 4 Billion years ago.
Or do I flounder trying to visualise how a greater being to quote Dr King out in the ether said to itself "I have a dream", that is the creation of Mankind on a Planet I shall make out of Gravity affected dust, which will grow to just the right size, take an impact and shed just enough rock to create an essential moon (which is moving away from us all the time) and then evolve single celled creatures and over many millennia evolve larger and more powerful creatures only to be wiped out by a large meteor taking out 7/8ths of the animal population, but making way from Mammals to rise, and a plethora of humanoids to wake from slumber in Africa to become US Gods chosen few.
That was one hell of a dream, or maybe God will wake up and realise it wasn't an episode of Dallas after all.

#2 Jul 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: So RD,

Wait!  Are you saying you don't believe in God?  Wow.  That blows my mind.

Every so often a physicist says that there is no way to prove that this isn't all some kind of hologram.  Furthermore, you don't know for certain if I exist and that the entire universe is in your mind.  Physicists make the case for a mulitverse where the laws of physics in our universe don't apply in the next.

The point is that there is nothing in the observable universe that precludes in a) being an illusion and b) that much exists outside of its confines.

The bottom line is that there is nothing in this universe that precludes a reality that transcends it.  I find comfort in that and it isn't hurting you a bit.  Get over it.

#3 Jul 06, 2019 9:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

What if everything around us — the people, the stars overhead, the ground beneath our feet, even our bodies and minds — were an elaborate illusion? What if our world were simply a hyper-realistic simulation, with all of us merely characters in some kind of sophisticated video game?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/ar … cna1026916

#4 Jul 06, 2019 11:26 pm

Expat
Active

What if coughs and sneezes spread diseases.... far more likely.

So, other than elaborate gobbledygook you have nothing.

Stick your hand in a fire lets see if you are in an alternative universe.

#5 Jul 07, 2019 7:43 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Of course I can't prove it.  I never said I could.  The point is there are physicists who understand the nature of reality and the cosmos far more than you who believe it is very possible. 

Look, I don't care what you believe.  You, however, created this thread to call me out and ridicule my faith. It seems to bother you that I have faith in which I find comfort and you just can't stop picking at me about it.   That makes you an asshole. Get it?

#6 Jul 07, 2019 4:22 pm

houston
Active

Oh, I'm sure he gets that one alright.
Expat works hard at being a dink.

#7 Jul 07, 2019 7:33 pm

houston
Active

#8 Jul 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Of course I can't prove it.  I never said I could.  The point is there are physicists who understand the nature of reality and the cosmos far more than you who believe it is very possible. 

Look, I don't care what you believe.  You, however, created this thread to call me out and ridicule my faith. It seems to bother you that I have faith in which I find comfort and you just can't stop picking at me about it.   That makes you an asshole. Get it?

I had an awareness resurrected by playing with a program, it again, made me think of the enormity of the Universe, something in itself beyond human comprehension due to the absolute enormity of the numbers. Just getting to fly past Pluto via sling shots took something like 10 years, and that's only our Solar system, which is infinitesimally small in the scale of things. This yet again put me to thinking about the belief systems of the World all of which seem to think talking into the void is going to obtain some reward from what ever this higher supposed being is.

You have fervently defended religion previously, and even persuaded me I had my own belief system.

Stupidly for me I tried to engage with you as on some levels you present as an intelligent man who might be able to discuss things in an intelligent fashion. However on many topics you seem to have the coping powers of a 3 year old, and lash out like a kid that was refused its ice cream.

I can only surmise that with your fervent rebuff you are so insecure that you cannot handle the challenge. Quite why you think I am trying to undermine your belief simply leads me back to the same point. Your belief is more fragile than you care to admit. That is your problem not mine.

I may be wrong with my lack of faith, I may be wrong with my being in awe at the Universe which is still being defined. I like most of us am neither great mathematician, Scientist, or even theologian. But I do like to think and learn about what is outside my normal sphere of experience. I am not afraid to have my views challenged, in the process I might learn or even realise I have got things arse about face.

In previous discussions we have ended up circular, and in all cases this may always be the end result, but maybe one simple paragraph might change some ones views or values. But why you have this persecution complex I don't know, that.s your issue not mine.

#9 Jul 08, 2019 10:37 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't deny any science of any kind.  I am in awe of the cosmos as are you.  I believe the universe and the earth, sun and moon are billions of years old.  I believe in evolution because it is certainly true.  I believe in Newtonian and quantum physics and even have an elementary understanding of them.

Still, there is no point in talking about these issues with you.  I believe in God and, for some reason, you don't like that.  Well, I am not going to change and you explaining the nature of existence won't make me.

#10 Jul 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Expat
Active

So there we have it yet again, you reply and 99.9% of what you say is adequate, reasonable, and sensible, and just as one would think it was going to be a normal conversation in comes the theory that I am trying to undermine YOUR belief in God. For Christ sake grow up (pun intended).

I don't give a flying frog whether you believe or don't believe, but as a person who has strongly stated you do, then you should be one of the best to bounce off..... accepting that either belief...yours or mine.... cannot be proven. This has generally been used as a forum for discussion, and opinions after all.

I just, shall we say.... "feel" that once our diminutive existence, and randomness of evolution, something I feel you would agree to, unlike many devout people who seem to feel that every bush and bug were divinely engineered. It then intrigues me that someone who has a passing knowledge of Quantum Physics and is aware that the Universe now only STARTS outside the Kuiper belt, whereas until recently we kinda felt it was the Solar System and the stars were painted on a big sheet of cheese cloth, should not have reverted to being an Atheist.

But do I care one way or the other. No.

There are times when I jook the ants nest, these are usually harmless  tongue in cheek affairs such as when I prod America, which yet again you seem extremely thin skinned about, but this is a topic of genuine interest, and I have given you credit for being able to do more than say in the Bible chapter 10 verse 9 it says hence putting your tag in the header.... but then maybe I was wrong on that too.

Last edited by Expat (Jul 08, 2019 8:49 pm)

Board footer