You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 06, 2019 10:29 am

Calypso
Active

Jamaican Opera singer Willard White in Russia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6v6aur5e4Q

I've always loved the opera. It's nice to see a fellow countryman who has reached worldwide fame in the art.





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rub0VNrf3dY

Dancer, experience his magnificence!


Paul Robeson's version


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9WayN7R-s

Last edited by Calypso (Jul 06, 2019 10:50 am)

Offline

#2 Jul 06, 2019 11:58 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Jamaican Opera singer Willard White in Russia

Hearing Robesons rendition instantly make me feel the music director was in a race to squeeze it into the film. Then I played Whites version, and it had a depth Robeson couldn't put into it.   Not Robesons fault I am sure. I am sure I had heard Robeson singing it before at a slower speed, so maybe it was just for the film.

Offline

#3 Jul 07, 2019 5:25 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Jamaican Opera singer Willard White in Russia

Expat wrote:

Hearing Robesons rendition instantly make me feel the music director was in a race to squeeze it into the film. Then I played Whites version, and it had a depth Robeson couldn't put into it.   Not Robesons fault I am sure. I am sure I had heard Robeson singing it before at a slower speed, so maybe it was just for the film.



You are right to a certain point. White is a trained opera singer Robeson was not. White does have more depth.

Offline

#4 Jul 07, 2019 9:55 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Jamaican Opera singer Willard White in Russia

Beautiful JA. Your Mr White can sing . Love it .  Shades of Billy Eckstine too.
Pretty difficult to top Mr White ... what can I do, lol.
OK , Heard any Nina Simone lately. ( ha).
Ones like , you don't know what love is  or My baby just cares for me  or Ella and Louis Isn't it a lovely day , even Whitney Huston's Mr Bojangles Tribute to Sammy Davis.
But no ,
I settled for something a little different. 2 of them.

" bet you never heard , Maxi Priest -Close to you or Tracy Chapman - Give me one reason.
Enjoy.

Last edited by Dancer (Jul 07, 2019 10:10 am)

Offline

#5 Jul 07, 2019 12:22 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Jamaican Opera singer Willard White in Russia

Dancer wrote:

Beautiful JA. Your Mr White can sing . Love it .  Shades of Billy Eckstine too.
Pretty difficult to top Mr White ... what can I do, lol.
OK , Heard any Nina Simone lately. ( ha).
Ones like , you don't know what love is  or My baby just cares for me  or Ella and Louis Isn't it a lovely day , even Whitney Huston's Mr Bojangles Tribute to Sammy Davis.
But no ,
I settled for something a little different. 2 of them.

" bet you never heard , Maxi Priest -Close to you or Tracy Chapman - Give me one reason.
Enjoy.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgwSDTdiGkE

Sir Willard White and wife performing in Jamaica

Offline

#6 Jul 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Jamaican Opera singer Willard White in Russia

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

Hearing Robesons rendition instantly make me feel the music director was in a race to squeeze it into the film. Then I played Whites version, and it had a depth Robeson couldn't put into it.   Not Robesons fault I am sure. I am sure I had heard Robeson singing it before at a slower speed, so maybe it was just for the film.



You are right to a certain point. White is a trained opera singer Robeson was not. White does have more depth.

My point about depth was in the film it felt like a hurried performance, ergo Robeson could not pause and emphasise the way White did. On independent recordings I seem to remember Robesons was more like Whites.


I am blaming the producer/music director of the film, not Robeson, who would have done what ever he was told.

Offline

#7 Jul 08, 2019 12:27 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Jamaican Opera singer Willard White in Russia

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

Hearing Robesons rendition instantly make me feel the music director was in a race to squeeze it into the film. Then I played Whites version, and it had a depth Robeson couldn't put into it.   Not Robesons fault I am sure. I am sure I had heard Robeson singing it before at a slower speed, so maybe it was just for the film.



You are right to a certain point. White is a trained opera singer Robeson was not. White does have more depth.

My point about depth was in the film it felt like a hurried performance, ergo Robeson could not pause and emphasise the way White did. On independent recordings I seem to remember Robesons was more like Whites.


I am blaming the producer/music director of the film, not Robeson, who would have done what ever he was told.

White used more ebonics, ex. "notin' while Robeson says "nothing."  I don't fell like it's hurried. I truly fell that he got a lot of bad direction on how to do the rendition.

Offline

#8 Jul 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Jamaican Opera singer Willard White in Russia

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:


You are right to a certain point. White is a trained opera singer Robeson was not. White does have more depth.

My point about depth was in the film it felt like a hurried performance, ergo Robeson could not pause and emphasise the way White did. On independent recordings I seem to remember Robesons was more like Whites.


I am blaming the producer/music director of the film, not Robeson, who would have done what ever he was told.

White used more ebonics, ex. "notin' while Robeson says "nothing."  I don't fell like it's hurried. I truly fell that he got a lot of bad direction on how to do the rendition.

So essentially you are agreeing with what I wrote regarding the director and music director.

If you listen to what is just a couple of lines from this clip

https://genius.com/Paul-robeson-ol-man-river-lyrics

You will see that off film Robeson gives a far better rendition. With a depth of voice not captured in the film.

Plus he doesn't sing nothing he sings sumthin and nuthin. and you try making a great emotional statement fixed to a bollard with no camera movement. Plus the backing was weak, also two thirds of the verses are missing, it was a compressed performance to fit everything into the film.

I feel both have rich voices.

Maybe you should check his bio, Robeson was a hell of a lot more than just a one song singer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Robeson

Offline

#9 Jul 09, 2019 8:45 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Jamaican Opera singer Willard White in Russia

Calypso wrote:
Dancer wrote:

Beautiful JA. Your Mr White can sing . Love it .  Shades of Billy Eckstine too.
Pretty difficult to top Mr White ... what can I do, lol.
OK , Heard any Nina Simone lately. ( ha).
Ones like , you don't know what love is  or My baby just cares for me  or Ella and Louis Isn't it a lovely day , even Whitney Huston's Mr Bojangles Tribute to Sammy Davis.
But no ,
I settled for something a little different. 2 of them.

" bet you never heard , Maxi Priest -Close to you or Tracy Chapman - Give me one reason.
Enjoy.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgwSDTdiGkE

Sir Willard White and wife performing in Jamaica

............
What a nice little group Calypso. You good ?. lol.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB