You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 21, 2019 12:47 am

Calypso
Active

Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

https://www.caribbean-beat.com/issue-95 … z5uHfN5GJ2


I eat little carbs in my diet. My waistline has gotten too large and I still do love to wear a bikini because of my own vanity. Recently, I started to eat some ground provisions again. I heard it is healthier than rice-- which I do not touch. What do you think??

Offline

#2 Jul 21, 2019 3:59 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

In Jamaica they say: you want rice, or you want food? Food being provisions, which by its very nature must be healthier than rice. Love me provisions, but love me rice too!

Offline

#3 Jul 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

New Historian wrote:

In Jamaica they say: you want rice, or you want food? Food being provisions, which by its very nature must be healthier than rice. Love me provisions, but love me rice too!


Watch it with the rice! We are not getting younger.

Offline

#4 Jul 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

None of them are particularly good for you, for different reasons.

A SMALL portion of Yam or what ever, ok, but as seems to happen, yam, tania dasheen, along with cheese pie and a meat or two on top.  No wonder you guys are obese, and battling with diabetes.

Little potato, little sweet potato, do not put several starches on the same plate, they all convert to sugar in your body. Which if you are sedentary means it will be stored as fat. Fat is not just that horrible yellow stuff under your skin it is inside your body choking your organs, and becomes an organ in itself sending out unhelpful hormones which lead to problems.

Avoid grains like wheat corn and rice like the plague, they are either an abused product by monsanto, or even if unabused they are not readily processed by our bodies so set up inflammatory states which can lead to illness and disease.

Plenty of Greens, Carrots, peas, Kale all kinda stuff, loads of berries, they are antioxidants which help to stop cell destruction. Find out how to make green juices, use prebiotics like pineapple and paw paw before meals, and probiotics between meals, and you will have a healthy gut, which ultimately means a healthy body.

AND you will LOSE weight with minimal exercise. Exercise is good for cardiovascular, but done simply to burn calories is a waste of time, as one small cream cake could mean an hour on the treadmill to burn it off.

Avoid soft drinks like the plague, especially Coke, that stuff is just toxic, soft drinks are overflowing with sugars and salt, to make you an addict, and with the salt to make you thirsty.... double whammy.  Zero calorie drinks are reported to work against you as you still end up craving sugars as you had the sweet taste without the sugar rush.... so you eat other junk to compensate.

THE FOOD MANUFACTURERS ARE OUT TO GET YOU.

And most regular medicine is the process of trying to cure illnesses..... many of which need not happen if the medical practice spent more time training people to eat properly.....but then they would be out of a job.

Last edited by Expat (Jul 21, 2019 9:27 pm)

Offline

#5 Jul 23, 2019 4:20 pm

houston
Active

Re: Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

Can't imagine a diet without those provisional root veggies.
Beets, potatoes; carrots, parsnips are loaded with nutrients.

Offline

#6 Jul 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

houston wrote:

Can't imagine a diet without those provisional root veggies.
Beets, potatoes; carrots, parsnips are loaded with nutrients.

All those you quote are the best of my knowledge Lenten, it is what is eaten here in the main, the heavy starchy things like yams that convert to sugars when digested that are the problem. They may be slow release unlike rice an potatoes, but they still become sugars.

Offline

#7 Jul 24, 2019 6:46 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

??????????However, people with diabetes can eat them in smaller portion sizes. It is best to eat potatoes as part of a balanced, healthful meal. ... Eating high-fiber foods is beneficial as these help control blood sugar levels and increase the feeling of fullness. Low GI foods can include other non-starchy vegetables.



The writing above comes from the internet. I was watching a documentary about the spread of diabetes in Jamaica. The doctor recommends the eating of ground provisions. He said it was good for diabetics because it is high in fiber. I was shocked. I love ground provisions but do not eat a lot of it.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACECJQAA-8g

Last edited by Calypso (Jul 24, 2019 6:52 am)

Offline

#8 Jul 25, 2019 11:12 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

People live on the island   up to the 90ies   and more  , quite a lot of them .
Potatoes , yams , eddoes , plums ,  green stuff , sugar cane and fresh air .
Sun and sea with Trade winds .
What more do you want?
Don't answer that.


>>>>>>.

Can I have my computer Dancer ?
Thanks Man .... Kind of you.

Offline

#9 Jul 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

Calypso wrote:

??????????However, people with diabetes can eat them in smaller portion sizes. It is best to eat potatoes as part of a balanced, healthful meal. ... Eating high-fiber foods is beneficial as these help control blood sugar levels and increase the feeling of fullness. Low GI foods can include other non-starchy vegetables.



The writing above comes from the internet. I was watching a documentary about the spread of diabetes in Jamaica. The doctor recommends the eating of ground provisions. He said it was good for diabetics because it is high in fiber. I was shocked. I love ground provisions but do not eat a lot of it.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACECJQAA-8g

Not everything you see or read on the internet is true or accurate. Without trying to sound like a flat earther or simply a crank. Trusting modern medicine in many of it's guises is an outright mistake for many common place illnesses, as they will jam pack you full of pills which just about everyone will have some dire side effect. Even the much vaulted Aspirin is a killer. Also there is substantial, but never referred to evidence that it actually does NOT help with heart conditions, and is actually worse for you. These facts are not from some off the shelf alternative medicine man, but from respected medical papers, and universities... I have seen too many extracts to be able to instantly figure out who it was, but it was not an alternative source.

Yes fiber is VERY good for you, both soluble and insoluble, however lets use our brains, instead of following blind follow my leader medical mantra. What is diabetes, well there are 2 types as we know. One you are born with type1, and one you acquire through lifestyle type 2. The most common element of type 2 is because you have been bombarding the liver with too much sugar, the pancreas I think it is sends out messages to increase insulin production. The cells get pissed off with constant attacks from insulin, so they become INSULIN RESISTANT..... they don't listen anymore. When you take the metformin and other concoctions you may change one aspect of the illness, but you leave other organs out of balance.... ergo you will still be ill, but in another way.

Potatoes whether sweet or Irish convert to sugar in your body, all those other heavy starches whilst taking longer to be assimilated... still do the same thing. If you are diabetic stop eating bloody starchy food, eat greens of all types for fiber and nutrition, many other root crops like beet and carrots, plenty of berries especially blueberry, some fruit, and a sensible sized protein in the form of meat or fish, and in as little as 30 days you could cease to be diabetic. Period.

What is worse giving up starches, or losing both your legs, as I heard just a few weeks back was to happen to a ladies mother here in Grenada. It is crazy you can eat your way to health, or take medicines that kill you bit by bit.

I was prescribed Blood pressure tablets, to protect my kidneys.... even though I didn't have high blood pressure, a couple of times I checked it and it was like 90 over 50, also because I was given blood pressure tablets it was fashionable to dole out Statins as well.

I do not take a single tablet in the form of medicine. I take iron tablets as I would be very anemic if I didn't due to the kidneys, I also take multivitamins again to redress balances again due to the kidneys, if I lived in the UK I would definitely also  have to take vitD, as I almost had none in my body, but living here I am super charged by the Sun, but other than that nothing... My blood works have been plateaued for about 10 years.

Eating a better diet, the Paleo is trendy at the moment, will actually STOP you from becoming ill, foods high in antioxidents help your immune system to deal with rogue cells.... you may have heard of them.... cancerous.... Every day you make I dont know maybe 10,000 potentially cancerous cells.... defective.... but most days of the week you don't get cancer.... why... your immune system kills them.... feed your immune system.... your gut is 80% of it, and you will stay healthy.... or eat shite and go see a doctor who will pump you full of chemicals, get you irradiated, or chop bits off you.   I would prefer to have a couple of green smoothies myself.

There is wonderful medicine out there, brain surgeons, and the like.  But funny how now mainstream medicine is catching on to alternative treatments like T cell infusions to repair damaged knees and many other illnesses, yet you will only hear how clever the Mayo Clinic is....

Offline

#10 Jul 29, 2019 1:19 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Are Ground Provisions Poor People's Food?

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

??????????However, people with diabetes can eat them in smaller portion sizes. It is best to eat potatoes as part of a balanced, healthful meal. ... Eating high-fiber foods is beneficial as these help control blood sugar levels and increase the feeling of fullness. Low GI foods can include other non-starchy vegetables.



The writing above comes from the internet. I was watching a documentary about the spread of diabetes in Jamaica. The doctor recommends the eating of ground provisions. He said it was good for diabetics because it is high in fiber. I was shocked. I love ground provisions but do not eat a lot of it.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACECJQAA-8g

Not everything you see or read on the internet is true or accurate. Without trying to sound like a flat earther or simply a crank. Trusting modern medicine in many of it's guises is an outright mistake for many common place illnesses, as they will jam pack you full of pills which just about everyone will have some dire side effect. Even the much vaulted Aspirin is a killer. Also there is substantial, but never referred to evidence that it actually does NOT help with heart conditions, and is actually worse for you. These facts are not from some off the shelf alternative medicine man, but from respected medical papers, and universities... I have seen too many extracts to be able to instantly figure out who it was, but it was not an alternative source.

Yes fiber is VERY good for you, both soluble and insoluble, however lets use our brains, instead of following blind follow my leader medical mantra. What is diabetes, well there are 2 types as we know. One you are born with type1, and one you acquire through lifestyle type 2. The most common element of type 2 is because you have been bombarding the liver with too much sugar, the pancreas I think it is sends out messages to increase insulin production. The cells get pissed off with constant attacks from insulin, so they become INSULIN RESISTANT..... they don't listen anymore. When you take the metformin and other concoctions you may change one aspect of the illness, but you leave other organs out of balance.... ergo you will still be ill, but in another way.

Potatoes whether sweet or Irish convert to sugar in your body, all those other heavy starches whilst taking longer to be assimilated... still do the same thing. If you are diabetic stop eating bloody starchy food, eat greens of all types for fiber and nutrition, many other root crops like beet and carrots, plenty of berries especially blueberry, some fruit, and a sensible sized protein in the form of meat or fish, and in as little as 30 days you could cease to be diabetic. Period.

What is worse giving up starches, or losing both your legs, as I heard just a few weeks back was to happen to a ladies mother here in Grenada. It is crazy you can eat your way to health, or take medicines that kill you bit by bit.

I was prescribed Blood pressure tablets, to protect my kidneys.... even though I didn't have high blood pressure, a couple of times I checked it and it was like 90 over 50, also because I was given blood pressure tablets it was fashionable to dole out Statins as well.

I do not take a single tablet in the form of medicine. I take iron tablets as I would be very anemic if I didn't due to the kidneys, I also take multivitamins again to redress balances again due to the kidneys, if I lived in the UK I would definitely also  have to take vitD, as I almost had none in my body, but living here I am super charged by the Sun, but other than that nothing... My blood works have been plateaued for about 10 years.





Eating a better diet, the Paleo is trendy at the moment, will actually STOP you from becoming ill, foods high in antioxidents help your immune system to deal with rogue cells.... you may have heard of them.... cancerous.... Every day you make I dont know maybe 10,000 potentially cancerous cells.... defective.... but most days of the week you don't get cancer.... why... your immune system kills them.... feed your immune system.... your gut is 80% of it, and you will stay healthy.... or eat shite and go see a doctor who will pump you full of chemicals, get you irradiated, or chop bits off you.   I would prefer to have a couple of green smoothies myself.

There is wonderful medicine out there, brain surgeons, and the like.  But funny how now mainstream medicine is catching on to alternative treatments like T cell infusions to repair damaged knees and many other illnesses, yet you will only hear how clever the Mayo Clinic is....

Thanks. very informative.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB