You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 02, 2019 9:20 am

Calypso
Active

WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

All the bullshit talk about moving away from a colonial past when only 28 percent  of Grees turned out to vote so that you guys could replace the British Judicial Committee of the Privy Counsel (JCPC) with the Caribbean Court of Justice(CCJ).  I heard an argument from one of your lawyers stating that voting for the CCJ is not an anti-colonial issue but one of establishing a good court. I think it's both. The Caribbean hadn't established its own identity if the region didn't create its own set of rules. The region has its own set of problems that cannot and should not be dictated by a foreign body.  You are not a pro-active nation. If you continue to sit on your arses expecting changes without participationt you  will never have a voice. Just like Afro-Americans-- have power but do not know how to use it.

Last edited by Calypso (Aug 02, 2019 12:52 pm)

Online

#2 Aug 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Expat
Active

Re: WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

Having seen how "our courts" perform, and how haphazard are the judgements, how Senior Lawyers intimidate lesser ones regardless of the rights of the case, how at least one judge never seems to make a judgement holding one persons life I know in limbo for over 2 years, how a certain female judge ALWAYS comes down hard on men, etc etc.

While I can understand a desire for "independance" when it is your arse in a sling and you are going for an appeal think twice for what you wish for, as it might be a Cousin of your opponent sitting in judgement on you. Whereas if it goes to the Appeal Courts in the UK however bothersome that may be, at least the judgement will be unbiased as they will not know any of the litigants.

Offline

#3 Aug 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

Expat wrote:

Having seen how "our courts" perform, and how haphazard are the judgements, how Senior Lawyers intimidate lesser ones regardless of the rights of the case, how at least one judge never seems to make a judgement holding one persons life I know in limbo for over 2 years, how a certain female judge ALWAYS comes down hard on men, etc etc.

While I can understand a desire for "independance" when it is your arse in a sling and you are going for an appeal think twice for what you wish for, as it might be a Cousin of your opponent sitting in judgement on you. Whereas if it goes to the Appeal Courts in the UK however bothersome that may be, at least the judgement will be unbiased as they will not know any of the litigants.

You have the typical colonial mentality, sit down be docile and justice will come your way.  YOU, THE PEOPLE ARE THE ONES TO COME TOGETHER IN AN EFFORT TO CHANGE THINGS. MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO STAYED HOME HAVE YOUR MENTALITY.

Online

#4 Aug 02, 2019 4:47 pm

Expat
Active

Re: WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

No, I stated quite clearly the reasons why it is not a good idea. Local implementation is fraught with potential injustices, when its simply the matter of stealing 2 mangoes and a slap on the wrist it is not much of a problem, but when many years in jail or not are dependent on impartiality I know where I would put my trust.

I am not suggesting poor judgements are not made in the lower courts in the UK, but I have a much greater faith that I will not be re judged by people with an over blown sense of their own importance were it to go to appeal. Plus as I did infer most people in Grenada are related one way or another. Family bias or connections can make great sway.

The whole place is lived in and run by a tiny fraction of the people that live in the London Borough I spent most of my time in. Small community thinking can be a dangerous thing.

Offline

#5 Aug 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

Expat wrote:

No, I stated quite clearly the reasons why it is not a good idea. Local implementation is fraught with potential injustices, when its simply the matter of stealing 2 mangoes and a slap on the wrist it is not much of a problem, but when many years in jail or not are dependent on impartiality I know where I would put my trust.

I am not suggesting poor judgements are not made in the lower courts in the UK, but I have a much greater faith that I will not be re judged by people with an over blown sense of their own importance were it to go to appeal. Plus as I did infer most people in Grenada are related one way or another. Family bias or connections can make great sway.

The whole place is lived in and run by a tiny fraction of the people that live in the London Borough I spent most of my time in. Small community thinking can be a dangerous thing.

I understand what you are saying but your mentality is narrow. Yes, you sensed the corruption in your court  system (De Bourg incident) and that you don't have faith should a system created by locals judge you because of their inflated egos. You are wrong though. You the people have a lot of say and could fix it.

Online

#6 Aug 02, 2019 9:14 pm

Expat
Active

Re: WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

How

Offline

#7 Aug 03, 2019 1:39 am

Calypso
Active

Re: WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

Expat wrote:

How


Lawyers are horrible because they have a commandery mentality like school principals. But to avoid judicial transgressions you can insist on having a watchdog group to prevent bias from happening. All citizens are entitled to a fair trial. You, the citizens, must demand more transparencies in your law. If there is reason to remove a judge or certain lawyers then it could be done by the process you demand to be instituted. The school system I work in is bias but there is a point when the case is tried in higher courts-- away from the district, away from all the people who know each other. When you citizens don't get involved it reinforces their power which is corrupt. You have a say. In every judicial decisions that go wrong when you sit down with your arse quiet, you give them more power. You can't have a 'small island mentality on a small island..' What do you think make white America so strong. They have a big mouth. They get involved and get their voices heard.

Last edited by Calypso (Aug 03, 2019 1:47 am)

Online

#8 Aug 03, 2019 8:36 pm

Expat
Active

Re: WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

>> but there is a point when the case is tried in higher courts-- away from the district,<<

You just made my case as to using the UK appeals process.

Offline

#9 Aug 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

How


Lawyers are horrible because they have a commandery mentality like school principals. But to avoid judicial transgressions you can insist on having a watchdog group to prevent bias from happening. All citizens are entitled to a fair trial. You, the citizens, must demand more transparencies in your law. If there is reason to remove a judge or certain lawyers then it could be done by the process you demand to be instituted. The school system I work in is bias but there is a point when the case is tried in higher courts-- away from the district, away from all the people who know each other. When you citizens don't get involved it reinforces their power which is corrupt. You have a say. In every judicial decisions that go wrong when you sit down with your arse quiet, you give them more power. You can't have a 'small island mentality on a small island..' What do you think make white America so strong. They have a big mouth. They get involved and get their voices heard.

...................
Solid ! Not only should there be a CCJ .

A Caricom Police Agency is needed . Detectives , specialists  from the group should be brought in the investigate certain crimes .  putting a dent in Law corruption . Cuts out some of the buddy , family  favours  that screw others .
You can call it , the agency .  CIS .... Caricom Internal security.  ........ lo

Hey ? Why not join ? " Its a matter of trust."

Offline

#10 Aug 04, 2019 5:07 am

Calypso
Active

Re: WHY DIDN'T GRENADA VOTE FOR THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE?

Dancer wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

How


Lawyers are horrible because they have a commandery mentality like school principals. But to avoid judicial transgressions you can insist on having a watchdog group to prevent bias from happening. All citizens are entitled to a fair trial. You, the citizens, must demand more transparencies in your law. If there is reason to remove a judge or certain lawyers then it could be done by the process you demand to be instituted. The school system I work in is bias but there is a point when the case is tried in higher courts-- away from the district, away from all the people who know each other. When you citizens don't get involved it reinforces their power which is corrupt. You have a say. In every judicial decisions that go wrong when you sit down with your arse quiet, you give them more power. You can't have a 'small island mentality on a small island..' What do you think make white America so strong. They have a big mouth. They get involved and get their voices heard.

...................
Solid ! Not only should there be a CCJ .

A Caricom Police Agency is needed . Detectives , specialists  from the group should be brought in the investigate certain crimes .  putting a dent in Law corruption . Cuts out some of the buddy , family  favours  that screw others .
You can call it , the agency .  CIS .... Caricom Internal security.  ........ lo

Hey ? Why not join ? " Its a matter of trust."

Fight to put it into action, bro.

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB