You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 02, 2019 7:45 pm

houston
Active

Plant based food

Okay, might try some one day.
I wonder what is in that plant based food that makes it taste like beef.
Reserving my judgment until I learn what ingredients goes into the plant based bag of potato chips.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis … stry-alone

Offline

#2 Aug 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Plant based food

houston wrote:

Okay, might try some one day.
I wonder what is in that plant based food that makes it taste like beef.
Reserving my judgment until I learn what ingredients goes into the plant based bag of potato chips.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis … stry-alone

I eat products from Beyond Meat to lose weight. Is it healthy? I can't pronounce any of it's ingredients and it is rather disturbing to me. They have an absolutely delicious tofu sausage that I always cook with bell peppers and top it off with pasta. Is it healthy.?Some men I know lost a lot of weight just my using the product.

Offline

#3 Aug 05, 2019 8:13 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Plant based food

Calypso wrote:
houston wrote:

Okay, might try some one day.
I wonder what is in that plant based food that makes it taste like beef.
Reserving my judgment until I learn what ingredients goes into the plant based bag of potato chips.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis … stry-alone

I eat products from Beyond Meat to lose weight. Is it healthy? I can't pronounce any of it's ingredients and it is rather disturbing to me. They have an absolutely delicious tofu sausage that I always cook with bell peppers and top it off with pasta. Is it healthy.?Some men I know lost a lot of weight just my using the product.

The short answer to that question is.... probably yes.

The long answer is there is nothing wrong with meat so long as it is not grain fed from GMO grain, there is nothing wrong with fatty meat in moderation, and there is nothing wrong with fats like butter. Again in moderation.

To lose weight eat a plate of food MOSTLY consisting of vegetables and greens, not half full of chips or other starchy foods, avoid Canola, Vegetable oil, Margarine etc like the plague, and you will be healthy maybe not wealthy, and wise.  Non GMO foods may well be more expensive than market ready monsanto crap, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the medical bills which will follow.

The key is 3/4 vegetables, and 1/4 protein, be it fish fowl or meat. use prebiotics to aid digestion, and inbetween meals probiotics to strengthen the gut. Ladies generally should top up iron, and if living in Northern climes boost the vitamin D.

Pasta rice, potato, heavy starchy food very few and far between, and you will be a size 0 in no time.

This is exaCTLY THE same recipe for a healthy diet that will keep disease away, and improve existing conditions.

Offline

#4 Aug 05, 2019 8:17 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Plant based food

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
houston wrote:

Okay, might try some one day.
I wonder what is in that plant based food that makes it taste like beef.
Reserving my judgment until I learn what ingredients goes into the plant based bag of potato chips.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis … stry-alone

I eat products from Beyond Meat to lose weight. Is it healthy? I can't pronounce any of it's ingredients and it is rather disturbing to me. They have an absolutely delicious tofu sausage that I always cook with bell peppers and top it off with pasta. Is it healthy.?Some men I know lost a lot of weight just my using the product.

The short answer to that question is.... probably yes.

The long answer is there is nothing wrong with meat so long as it is not grain fed from GMO grain, there is nothing wrong with fatty meat in moderation, and there is nothing wrong with fats like butter. Again in moderation.

To lose weight eat a plate of food MOSTLY consisting of vegetables and greens, not half full of chips or other starchy foods, avoid Canola, Vegetable oil, Margarine etc like the plague, and you will be healthy maybe not wealthy, and wise.  Non GMO foods may well be more expensive than market ready monsanto crap, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the medical bills which will follow.

The key is 3/4 vegetables, and 1/4 protein, be it fish fowl or meat. use prebiotics to aid digestion, and inbetween meals probiotics


to strengthen the gut. Ladies generally should top up iron, and if living in Northern climes boost the vitamin D.







Pasta rice, potato, heavy starchy food very few and far between, and you will be a size 0 in no time.

This is exaCTLY THE same recipe for a healthy diet that will keep disease away, and improve existing conditions.





I need to lose for my Malta trip next August. I just bought a black and white floral bathing suit. I need to squeeze myself in a black bikini. I want to look a little decent though I will be 56.

Offline

#5 Aug 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Plant based food

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

I eat products from Beyond Meat to lose weight. Is it healthy? I can't pronounce any of it's ingredients and it is rather disturbing to me. They have an absolutely delicious tofu sausage that I always cook with bell peppers and top it off with pasta. Is it healthy.?Some men I know lost a lot of weight just my using the product.

The short answer to that question is.... probably yes.

The long answer is there is nothing wrong with meat so long as it is not grain fed from GMO grain, there is nothing wrong with fatty meat in moderation, and there is nothing wrong with fats like butter. Again in moderation.

To lose weight eat a plate of food MOSTLY consisting of vegetables and greens, not half full of chips or other starchy foods, avoid Canola, Vegetable oil, Margarine etc like the plague, and you will be healthy maybe not wealthy, and wise.  Non GMO foods may well be more expensive than market ready monsanto crap, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the medical bills which will follow.

The key is 3/4 vegetables, and 1/4 protein, be it fish fowl or meat. use prebiotics to aid digestion, and inbetween meals probiotics


to strengthen the gut. Ladies generally should top up iron, and if living in Northern climes boost the vitamin D.







Pasta rice, potato, heavy starchy food very few and far between, and you will be a size 0 in no time.

This is exaCTLY THE same recipe for a healthy diet that will keep disease away, and improve existing conditions.





I need to lose for my Malta trip next August. I just bought a black and white floral bathing suit. I need to squeeze myself in a black bikini. I want to look a little decent though I will be 56.


Just a likkle girl then.

Most diets will work to greater or lesser extents, most will also get you to avoid carbs, but the key thing is a using a smaller plate, it is psychological, and making friends with a different style of eating, and not doing it just to fit into the bikini, it really has to be a lifestyle change, and permanent. If you just yo yo it then you will yo yo into a bigger size than you are now.

Can I also recommend a North American product called MetaMucil, you should be able to buy it in supermarkets or worst case pharmacist. It can be either plain, or orange flavoured, it is a bulking agent, so if you mix a glass and slug it down a while before eating it will reduce your appetite. It is simply flavoured psyllium Husk. It is brilliant for people with digestive tract issues as it provides fibre. A second absolutely brilliant potion is available on the internet and health shops.... Slippery Elm Bark, it originates from the Native Indians, it will ease bowel issues, and is a mucilage, ie.it creates mucus which if you have inflamed intestines which have had the natural mucus stripped by the acid it protects it... but take tablets before the slippery elm, as it will reduce drug absorption, also food absorption, which will help you lose weight.

When I finally persuaded my Sister who was a nurse, and very committed to medication and medical treatments as thazts all she knew, to take the slippery elm for her chronic Diverticulitis, not only did the smptoms fade away.... as they have done with my Wife.... IT WORKS she also cued back at me after a few weeks.... Ewwwww I have lost 14 pounds and I'm in a smaller dress size, and still losing.

Counter intuitive is to take a diluted slug of Apple Cider vinegar, it is extremely good for you in may ways, and also aids digestion.

There seems to be a common misunderstanding about how the stomach works and as soon as one gets heartburn people rush off for pepto bismal. Thats 180 degrees out. Often the issue is not too much acid, but too little.... there is a logical explanation, but I cant remember it. Simple to say, if you look it up Apple Cider Vinegar unrefined with the mothers, like Braggs, is GOOD for heartburn.... it works. Also there is physical damage done by all the antacids.... So best avoided.

While aerobic exercise is good for your heart and lungs, and by extension your body, it almost a waste of time and energy when it comes to losing weight, as it takes so much effort to lose a few pounds at the gym you are probably going to put on more snacking to get over the effort, and you wont keep it up so you'll just pile the pounds back on.

Last edited by Expat (Aug 05, 2019 8:56 pm)

Offline

#6 Aug 06, 2019 6:41 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Plant based food

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

The short answer to that question is.... probably yes.

The long answer is there is nothing wrong with meat so long as it is not grain fed from GMO grain, there is nothing wrong with fatty meat in moderation, and there is nothing wrong with fats like butter. Again in moderation.

To lose weight eat a plate of food MOSTLY consisting of vegetables and greens, not half full of chips or other starchy foods, avoid Canola, Vegetable oil, Margarine etc like the plague, and you will be healthy maybe not wealthy, and wise.  Non GMO foods may well be more expensive than market ready monsanto crap, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the medical bills which will follow.

The key is 3/4 vegetables, and 1/4 protein, be it fish fowl or meat. use prebiotics to aid digestion, and inbetween meals probiotics


to strengthen the gut. Ladies generally should top up iron, and if living in Northern climes boost the vitamin D.


Interesting but not appetizing. I like the part to decrease the meal size. When I don't eat natural stuff I don't feel fulfilled. This leads me to eating more.







Pasta rice, potato, heavy starchy food very few and far between, and you will be a size 0 in no time.

This is exaCTLY THE same recipe for a healthy diet that will keep disease away, and improve existing conditions.





I need to lose for my Malta trip next August. I just bought a black and white floral bathing suit. I need to squeeze myself in a black bikini. I want to look a little decent though I will be 56.


Just a likkle girl then.

Most diets will work to greater or lesser extents, most will also get you to avoid carbs, but the key thing is a using a smaller plate, it is psychological, and making friends with a different style of eating, and not doing it just to fit into the bikini, it really has to be a lifestyle change, and permanent. If you just yo yo it then you will yo yo into a bigger size than you are now.

Can I also recommend a North American product called MetaMucil, you should be able to buy it in supermarkets or worst case pharmacist. It can be either plain, or orange flavoured, it is a bulking agent, so if you mix a glass and slug it down a while before eating it will reduce your appetite. It is simply flavoured psyllium Husk. It is brilliant for people with digestive tract issues as it provides fibre. A second absolutely brilliant potion is available on the internet and health shops.... Slippery Elm Bark, it originates from the Native Indians, it will ease bowel issues, and is a mucilage, ie.it creates mucus which if you have inflamed intestines which have had the natural mucus stripped by the acid it protects it... but take tablets before the slippery elm, as it will reduce drug absorption, also food absorption, which will help you lose weight.

When I finally persuaded my Sister who was a nurse, and very committed to medication and medical treatments as thazts all she knew, to take the slippery elm for her chronic Diverticulitis, not only did the smptoms fade away.... as they have done with my Wife.... IT WORKS she also cued back at me after a few weeks.... Ewwwww I have lost 14 pounds and I'm in a smaller dress size, and still losing.

Counter intuitive is to take a diluted slug of Apple Cider vinegar, it is extremely good for you in may ways, and also aids digestion.

There seems to be a common misunderstanding about how the stomach works and as soon as one gets heartburn people rush off for pepto bismal. Thats 180 degrees out. Often the issue is not too much acid, but too little.... there is a logical explanation, but I cant remember it. Simple to say, if you look it up Apple Cider Vinegar unrefined with the mothers, like Braggs, is GOOD for heartburn.... it works. Also there is physical damage done by all the antacids.... So best avoided.

While aerobic exercise is good for your heart and lungs, and by extension your body, it almost a waste of time and energy when it comes to losing weight, as it takes so much effort to lose a few pounds at the gym you are probably going to put on more snacking to get over the effort, and you wont keep it up so you'll just pile the pounds back on.

Offline

#7 Aug 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Vanni
Active

Re: Plant based food

One aspect of health is something we may not be imagining: our impact on Life.

So, choosing a diet which generates less or no harm, suffering nor distress in other living beings is in itself already a good omen for our health.

This is where, after an initial dietary orientation, I found harmlessness as my prime motivation to be vegetarian. Without mentioning the added bonus of exhaling much much nicer scents as a vegetab... vegetarian tongue

Offline

#8 Aug 11, 2019 11:00 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Plant based food

Vanni shows up . lol.
As a veggie  , you must be thin as a rake  and weigh about  80 pounds,     .......  sorry kilos .

..... A couple of countries  don't know   what a kilo is .  'pity' .....
The amazing world maps shows you about 3 countries ,  with that distinction .

Offline

#9 Aug 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Vanni
Active

Re: Plant based food

Yeahyeah, from time to time I resurface smile ... ssso ... there are some vegetarians who are quite ample in shape. I am quite below the 80 kilos. I always was slender, regardless of my diet, so my body shape has about remained the same, even if age has allowed gravity to become more a reality ... bleh! Anyway, I always was active and I keep taking every opportunity to solicit my body = walks, qigong, a little bit of yoga ...

Offline

#10 Aug 12, 2019 8:31 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Plant based food

That's great Vanni .  You sound like a fit Veggie .
Yep .... the 80 kilos was over the top - bad maths. lol.

But you were so  kind  ,  using the word '' ample '' to describe  'fat' people ......  it made me say  " Vanni , is a nice person . lol.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB