You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Aug 04, 2019 7:32 am

Calypso
Active

WEST INDIAN DESCENTS HOLDING ON TO THEIR HERITAGE IN CUBA

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-20849650

My grandmother told me that a relative left her family from Jamaica to Cuba in the 1930s and never returned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-latin … n-heritage

Last edited by Calypso (Aug 04, 2019 7:37 am)

#2 Aug 04, 2019 4:05 pm

Expat
Active

Re: WEST INDIAN DESCENTS HOLDING ON TO THEIR HERITAGE IN CUBA

My Wife has family in Cuba, but with the closed boarders and communication it has not been possible to track them.

#3 Aug 05, 2019 8:56 am

Dancer
Active

I did not want to say anything about Cuba  , with the JA thinking I want to get into her good books ,  agreeing with her and 'currying favour' .lol.
But my grandfather ( Charles was his name , nick name  Poka.  ....   lo )   had a brother that went to Cuba , never returned.

> "  that is why , I keep trying to get the JA to sit down ,  or walk   and compare notes , and be happy.
As  you can see , climate change melting the icebergs  . That is what Dancer is trying to do .
Have faith Dancer , have faith.
How yuh  doing , sugar.

#4 Aug 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

I did not want to say anything about Cuba  , with the JA thinking I want to get into her good books ,  agreeing with her and 'currying favour' .lol.
But my grandfather ( Charles was his name , nick name  Poka.  ....   lo )   had a brother that went to Cuba , never returned.

> "  that is why , I keep trying to get the JA to sit down ,  or walk   and compare notes , and be happy.
As  you can see , climate change melting the icebergs  . That is what Dancer is trying to do .
Have faith Dancer , have faith.
How yuh  doing , sugar.

In the 1930s and 40s Cuba was very prosperous and had many immigrants migrating from the Caribbean and Europe to seek wealth. Many of the black workers worked in the sugar and farm industries while the Europeans obtained many of the white color jobs. Jamaica had a lot of labor insurrections which was led by Bustamante.  As a result it stagnated our growth. Personally, the dismantling of our farm lives caused us to take up residences in countries like  Cuba, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, etc. We had those industries during slavery ( except for railroad) and we could have continued them to prevent migration.

#5 Aug 05, 2019 9:50 pm

Dancer
Active

I wondered  ,   after I saw a couple of videos of Jamaicans in Spanish countries , expressing  their roots .
HOW did they get there ?
You explained  it , migration and Bustamante .

My interest in Cuba , after Castro  has always been  '  HAVANA BEFORE CASTRO '

Reading up on info ,,,  , I saw the title of a book with information ,   I  had always wondered  about  .... 

> >> Havana Before  Castro ..... Peter Moruzzi. ..... When Cuba was a tropical playground."

Through vintage and contemporary photographs , brochures , and artifacts  , evocative of time and place.
" Havana before Castro" tells the story of the  city that was the most popular exotic destination  for Americans during the forty years  between WW1 and Castro's revolution.

#6 Aug 06, 2019 1:52 am

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

I wondered  ,   after I saw a couple of videos of Jamaicans in Spanish countries , expressing  their roots .
HOW did they get there ?
You explained  it , migration and Bustamante .

My interest in Cuba , after Castro  has always been  '  HAVANA BEFORE CASTRO '

Reading up on info ,,,  , I saw the title of a book with information ,   I  had always wondered  about  .... 

> >> Havana Before  Castro ..... Peter Moruzzi. ..... When Cuba was a tropical playground."

Through vintage and contemporary photographs , brochures , and artifacts  , evocative of time and place.
" Havana before Castro" tells the story of the  city that was the most popular exotic destination  for Americans during the forty years  between WW1 and Castro's revolution.

When Cuba was run by the Americans the racism was rampant. They reinforced a structure like what is in the USA. The Spaniards are an harsh group of people but their Cuban-born generation was milder in race relations. Lots of racism and segregation. The black Caribbean people did not get rich. They made money to survive but they never got rich and returned.  Cuba will return to what it used to be. I hope foreigners do not invest in it heavily like they are doing in the Caribbean. Then again, Cuba has some of the most industrious people. They are far more competent than all countries in the Caribbean.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/padmor … amaica.htm

Last edited by Calypso (Aug 06, 2019 1:58 am)

#7 Aug 06, 2019 8:17 am

Expat
Active

Cuba is or would be no more productive than any other Caribbean Country if it shared the same history, and the same demographics.

Two Larger Countries like JA and T&T both have violence issues, but for different reasons. Each Island although sharing a common foundation is different, just as are their topographies.

The Small Islands have lack of development issues regardless of what their leaders say, why.... mostly because of economies of scale. Very few businesses can grow big enough to be big employers or impact the region... there are a few... like Huggins and some others, but mostly it is small shops, small businesses, and small vision.

So the increasingly young of the nations are either left to lime and waste their lives away, or become one of our exports.

Cuba is big enough and through it's history more dynamic, creating the circumstances for it's people to be more enthused. Just as people became motivated during Revo times. Now there is education, and some hope, but every year a new wave of students come onto the streets to find? what work.

Despite the Government vaunting Agriculture unless you have a large piece of land in a good location the economies of scale do not make it worth the effort for the farmer. Let alone any under paid worker.

It is just like people caught in the poverty trap in advanced countries with welfare, if the welfare isn't there they starve, if the wages are so pitiful then they don't get off welfare. Talking to a local joiner, and he said "helpers" get $50 a day.... I wouldn't get out of bed for $50. Would you? I would guestimate my weekly shopping bill is around $500, never mind household bills, I would have to work 2 weeks just to pay for one.

#8 Aug 08, 2019 2:21 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:

Cuba is or would be no more productive than any other Caribbean Country if it shared the same history, and the same demographics.

Two Larger Countries like JA and T&T both have violence issues, but for different reasons. Each Island although sharing a common foundation is different, just as are their topographies.

The Small Islands have lack of development issues regardless of what their leaders say, why.... mostly because of economies of scale. Very few businesses can grow big enough to be big employers or impact the region... there are a few... like Huggins and some others, but mostly it is small shops, small businesses, and small vision.

So the increasingly young of the nations are either left to lime and waste their lives away, or become one of our exports.

Cuba is big enough and through it's history more dynamic, creating the circumstances for it's people to be more enthused. Just as people became motivated during Revo times. Now there is education, and some hope, but every year a new wave of students come onto the streets to find? what work.

Despite the Government vaunting Agriculture unless you have a large piece of land in a good location the economies of scale do not make it worth the effort for the farmer. Let alone any under paid worker.

It is just like people caught in the poverty trap in advanced countries with welfare, if the welfare isn't there they starve, if the wages are so pitiful then they don't get off welfare. Talking to a local joiner, and he said "helpers" get $50 a day.... I wouldn't get out of bed for $50. Would you? I would guestimate my weekly shopping bill is around $500, never mind household bills, I would have to work 2 weeks just to pay for one.

Expat, I don't agree with you here. During slavery those island produced big businesses: Sugar, banana but those large business were owned by Europeans. The fight in the Caribbean was to give the black workers a piece of the pie to improve the quality of their  lives. When Busta returned to Jamaica in 1934 he joined the fight with the working man. Many blacks had to migrate to find work. The strikes prevented them from working, further more, if they had a job, they couldn't survive from it. If oil is discovered on the islands, would we benefit? No. monopolization of developed countries would win over us.

Board footer