You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Aug 30, 2019 11:31 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

"We never formed an economic relationship with Africa after independence."

And why should we - just because they're African? It makes more sense to have economic relations with our nearest neighbours in Latin America that Africa. You clearly never studied Econ 101 did you? Trade and travel links are ten times easier with Latin America than all the way over there in Africa, Cal please try to divorce rationality from sentiment!

Offline

#12 Aug 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

Economics ?  Ha.
We were busy otherwise .
Who is going to have the power ?  Who is going to be the Moses  ? Who should we look up to ?
The 'Boss' left , hired  trained workers kept the plant running.   Africa  ?    Except  with the guys  with  the breakout ' university education.
We had just got a breakthrough in Self-rule .. Independence ?
Even today having our own court is up in the air . Lo. Has anyone talked out updating some of our laws.

Offline

#13 Aug 30, 2019 2:33 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

Calypso wrote:
New Historian wrote:
Dancer wrote:

Calypso's heart might be in the right place , but the thinking is suspect.


It's all those Mandingos she's been lusting after, clouds her rational thinking and mek she go bazodee!! smile


I know about Nigeria and corruption but many of those oil companies are controlled
by European nations. Dancer is missing my point. We never had an economic connection to Africa as the Asians did to their countries. They were able to trade and do some kind of commerce with them when the whites wouldn't do it. As a result, it increased their economic prospect. We never formed an economic relationship with Africa after independence.


https://caribbeantradelaw.com/2019/06/1 … omic-ties/

you and Dancer have penises  but no brains.

Offline

#14 Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

Now she bring dick into the argument, I tell you de ooman have dick-on-the-brain syndrome!!!  Yeah yeah, another Caribbean-Africa commission, trade delegation, think-tank or best of all: inter-ministerial committee! I've seen 'em, been to 'em, spoken at 'em - countless times! and what do they all achieve? one big fat zero. actually that's not true: a lot of people go on a lot of flights, stay in a lot of hotels, collect a lot of air miles and do a lot of shopping - on the "conference gravy train".

Ask Slice about Nigerians in Grenada, he'll tell ya!

Offline

#15 Aug 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

You have to give Ms Calypso a point or two.
For the Africa / West Indian connection seems
to be growing . Like I mentioned before Revs from Ghana have taken over the English  Revs that used to run the Methodists Church in the islands.
And from Ms Calypso (news story)   In June 2019 . The President of Ghana , his Excellency  , Nana Akufo-Addo visited 5 Caribbean Countries , Barbados , Guyana , St Vincent and the Grenadines , Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica.

This was to promote ties , maybe  the time has arrived.

...........
Btw. I think my penis has a brain of its own. lol.
But  ahhh , did you not say  ,  sometime ,   that  you were   running from them most of her life.
Is that true ?

Aren't you tired.  lol

Offline

#16 Aug 30, 2019 5:06 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

Dancer wrote:

You have to give Ms Calypso a point or two.
For the Africa / West Indian connection seems
to be growing . Like I mentioned before Revs from Ghana have taken over the English  Revs that used to run the Methodists Church in the islands.
And from Ms Calypso (news story)   In June 2019 . The President of Ghana , his Excellency  , Nana Akufo-Addo visited 5 Caribbean Countries , Barbados , Guyana , St Vincent and the Grenadines , Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica.

This was to promote ties , maybe  the time has arrived.

...........
Btw. I think my penis has a brain of its own. lol.
But  ahhh , did you not say  ,  sometime ,   that  you were   running from them most of her life.
Is that true ?

Aren't you tired.  lol

How far is China and other Asian countries from America? But they have a booming relationship with their countries, exporting and importing goods  to sell on the American market. Indians too. What about Afro-American??? They do not have a relationship with the counties. Slavery severed that.

Offline

#17 Aug 30, 2019 8:04 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

Slice wrote:

Unless someone show me proof, the reason we migrated was because we thought we were English, a staying on what I always believe, that we migrated for money reasons. I can't accept the fact, that we thought  we were white.

There were different reasons for various groups. Ex soldiers returned home to find life back home slow slow, without much opportunity for advancement, so they returned to what had been an ok place when the war was on, to be joined by hopefuls who had no knowledge or experience of real England. Which post war was a grey miserable place, apart from the coal fires, and rationing that carried on for some time after the peace was brokered, the people were still wearing the utility clothes worn during the war, rather like the clothes that were supposed to be issued by the Cubans during the Revo, there is a misconception that Immigrants brought colour and fashion to the UK, it was simply suppressed by years of war.

the soldiers "tolerated" during war time were less welcome when they were to be permanent fixtures, and the no idea bunch really got pulled up short when they found the streets were not covered with diamonds.

Initial lack of welcome was exacerbated when two things happened that ramped up the immigration rates. One there was a rumour that restrictions were to be put in place.... which did not happen until some time later BECAUSE of the increased rush of migrants, also the hostilities built because the indigenous were not told by government that there was a massive short fall of workers because of war losses and injuries, and that the Government actually asked the people to come.... but as far as the indigenous were concerned they were taking their jobs, and because initially most migrants were single male, they were also taking their women.... kind a might put anyone's nose out of joint.

Offline

#18 Aug 31, 2019 12:17 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

From the other side of the fence, pretty much agree 100% - look at that! The "indigenous" (love it btw!) were indeed alarmed at the sudden influx of darkies - worse yet because their fair English maidens seemed not to mind the influx at all! The whole "immigrant experience" virtually defined my entire formative years - but it doesn't define me. I went through a lot of shit, remember crying in the mirror, getting into fights with these BIG snotty-nosed English brats (usually losing - but not all!), "chocolate-face", "wog", "nig-nog" - it's amazing I don't hate ALL white people lol!! But of course not, first of all you get over it, then you leave it there: in the past. And, it has to be said, England got a lot better at dealing with "the coloured question". By the end of the sixties, the skinheads (the original skinheads) had paved the way for acceptance of England's West Indian imports - who weren't ALL Jamaicans! All of a sudden, we were cool, and only we understood the lyrics of the many reggae songs that became Number One! Do YOU know what "Long shot kick the bucket" is all about lol!

And then came the seventies and the whole hippy thing, and race was such a bummer, man. Negative waves.

It's slid back since those Halcyon days, sadly, nowadays "immigrants" mean a lot more than just West Indians. But race relations in England, despite Brexit, is still a LOT better than America!!

Offline

#19 Aug 31, 2019 7:41 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

Expat said  >>  and because initially most migrants were single male , they were taking their women ..... kind a might put anyone's nose out of joint <<

Why blame New Historian's  'old man'

Low blow.  Tough !
Took New Historian ....  back  to 'wog'   .... I always wondered . What the hell is a 'wog'
Hey New Historian .... " Well all I can say   , better you than me.
Lord ! Seems New Historian recovered somewhat.
Have a Mount Gay or something.

Offline

#20 Aug 31, 2019 9:22 am

Expat
Active

Re: Why West Indians migrate to England (1954)

Dancer wrote:

Expat said  >>  and because initially most migrants were single male , they were taking their women ..... kind a might put anyone's nose out of joint <<

Why blame New Historian's  'old man'

Low blow.  Tough !
Took New Historian ....  back  to 'wog'   .... I always wondered . What the hell is a 'wog'
Hey New Historian .... " Well all I can say   , better you than me.
Lord ! Seems New Historian recovered somewhat.
Have a Mount Gay or something.

You might say it is rhyming slang derived from nig nog... derived from ni......

But I think it peculiarly comes from is derived from the middle East, or rather the naming of them,,, Western Oriental Gentleman, or WOG for short. Ultimately any person with dark skin.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB