You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 01, 2019 12:01 pm

New Historian
Active

The sadistic Mr. Connelly

The most feared teacher in St. Thomas’ was Mr. Connelly, a big, angry ex-rugby player who took out his life’s many frustrations on the children in his charge. You didn’t cross Connelly lightly. Mind you, sometimes you didn’t even have to cross him to cross him. In one infamous episode, Connelly was on playground duty at lunchtime. At the end of the lunch hour he blew his whistle, meaning: get into your lines. Over a hundred boys abandoned their games of football, cricket or British bulldog, gathered up their jackets and slowly headed for their form lines. Too slowly, apparently. Connelly grew impatient.

So he blew the whistle again, meaning: freeze! Connelly then barked out:

“All of you not in lines, over here!”

About fifty of us, including me, shuffled across to form a new line. Connelly was furious, mumbling to himself:

“I’m tired a tellin’ yeh, when I blow the feckin’ whistle, you move! Well you gonna learn today, that’s fer sure!”
The rest of the boys trooped off to their respective classes, while we miscreants followed Connelly to the staff room. We were abuzz with curiosity; what’s he gonna do? He can’t beat all of us, can he? But that’s exactly what he did. Connelly came out with his leather strap and gave us each six of the best, all fifty of us: three hundred strokes; the last delivered with exactly the same venom as the first.

After six of Connelly’s lashes you were in agony, I couldn’t hold a pen all afternoon. Our respective form teachers were bemused when we came through the door holding back the tears (or not): what’s gotten into Connelly this time? That evening at dinner I couldn’t hold my knife and fork properly, and told dad what had happened. He was livid, and marched up to the school the next day and made a huge fuss with the headmaster. As a teacher himself he castigated the school for its shocking overuse of the strap. Not that it did any good – probably worse.

#2 Sep 03, 2019 9:38 am

Dancer
Active

Re: The sadistic Mr. Connelly

Where is the rest of the series New Historian.       Mr Connelly 2

New Historian , I don't know who you are , a scholar , a traveler , or a deck hand.      ....  lol.
BUT
" you have a way  with  -  dialogue , script ,  expression  , writing , you know "

When I read some of your description  of  little stories   ,, I see actors on a stage. 
Knocking around in the island , people like 'plays' and lectures. LO.
Write your Mr Connelly  sketch ... take in to  some cultural foundation .... get some sorta comedy , cultural hit  'play ' going.
Man , you would be all over the TV.

#3 Sep 03, 2019 9:46 am

New Historian
Active

Why thank you Dancer, 'scribbling' keeps me busy - and out of trouble!

Just did a very special one, about a series of long letters between my father and uncle, from 1958 to 1961 when they were living in Trinidad, Venezuela and England. But that's for another time...

#4 Sep 03, 2019 11:19 am

Dancer
Active

You know why it resonates.
Nearly the same thing happened in the island as tales go. Sometimes  when the guys get together , school 'masters' are cussed , praised or laughed at.
This teacher an 'extra ' dark man a Mr Inniss , his nick name was 'nugget' . .lo.
Anyhow Mr Inniss used to beat kids too enthusiastically .   He did it to this kid , the next morning the boy's father turned up at the school with some big rocks for  Mr Inniss.
Your story has  the extra  *attraction * ,  white guys in some of those plays , extending the west Indian cultural  experience.
Gets some notice . Even the Governor General  might show up one night. lo.

Board footer