You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 03, 2019 5:28 pm

Slice
Active

THIS WAS THE BEST SOCA FOR GRENADA CARNIVAL. IT BROKE DOWN THE PLACE

<iframe width="894" height="503" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i2l2yXf_xmo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Slice (Sep 03, 2019 5:38 pm)

#2 Sep 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Slice
Active

Re: THIS WAS THE BEST SOCA FOR GRENADA CARNIVAL. IT BROKE DOWN THE PLACE

#3 Sep 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Slice
Active

#4 Sep 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Expat
Active

Kinda shows what a sad place carnival is at the moment, if that's the pinnacle.

#5 Sep 05, 2019 8:35 am

Slice
Active

But Expat, this was the biggest carnival ever. The most tourist visits. They are doing something right.  Carnival is moving in the right direction. I did not do Jouvert  Monday morning, but I did it Tuesday morning in St Davids and lord it was sweet. Did everything else and believe carnival was sweet as ah Grenadian Sugar Apple. The Chinese have ah band the Medical students also have ah band.  The ting was nice.

Lord doh talk about the events outside carnival, two weeks before carnival I had an average of three events daily. Then there was the pure white event on BBC beach, lord that ting was nice. Every thing was free, and the food and rum was in abundance.

#6 Sep 05, 2019 10:33 am

Dancer
Active

Blaka Dan  of ' Loyal Side Man ' fame , was tame this year.

" What is your skill " ?   I love that .  --  should try that on somebody.
Smh. lol.

#7 Sep 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

But Expat, this was the biggest carnival ever. The most tourist visits. They are doing something right.  Carnival is moving in the right direction. I did not do Jouvert  Monday morning, but I did it Tuesday morning in St Davids and lord it was sweet. Did everything else and believe carnival was sweet as ah Grenadian Sugar Apple. The Chinese have ah band the Medical students also have ah band.  The ting was nice.

Lord doh talk about the events outside carnival, two weeks before carnival I had an average of three events daily. Then there was the pure white event on BBC beach, lord that ting was nice. Every thing was free, and the food and rum was in abundance.

You were quoting a tune as being the summit of music for carnival, I said it was a sad place to be if THAT was the pinnacle.  One tune here or there is not going to be the definition of a great carnival, it may have improved, diminished, or left things static, but the people were coming regardless of the tune, and if enough events were out there to amuse them it will be good.

Matey, The London Carnival... I even played sailor mass in it about 40 years ago, is now a complete cross section of nations taking part... it has maybe 2 million attendees over the 2 days. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for it.

I clearly remember Carnival in Trinidad 35 and maybe 45 years ago. THAT was Carnival. Probably despite the change in music, the bands will still be impressive, but I sure as hell aint risking my neck to go see.

Jab Jab is a 10 minute entertainment. After that it is boring as all hell. Same old same old for as long as it drags on, with ridiculously loud music if you can call it that. I aint looking to see buddies or family shuffling along covered in crap, me, I am at home in my bed letting those that like it do it.

#8 Sep 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:

You were quoting a tune as being the summit of music for carnival, I said it was a sad place to be if THAT was the pinnacle.  One tune here or there is not going to be the definition of a great carnival, it may have improved, diminished, or left things static, but the people were coming regardless of the tune, and if enough events were out there to amuse them it will be good.

Matey, The London Carnival... I even played sailor mass in it about 40 years ago, is now a complete cross section of nations taking part... it has maybe 2 million attendees over the 2 days. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for it.

I clearly remember Carnival in Trinidad 35 and maybe 45 years ago. THAT was Carnival. Probably despite the change in music, the bands will still be impressive, but I sure as hell aint risking my neck to go see.

Jab Jab is a 10 minute entertainment. After that it is boring as all hell. Same old same old for as long as it drags on, with ridiculously loud music if you can call it that. I aint looking to see buddies or family shuffling along covered in crap, me, I am at home in my bed letting those that like it do it.

The lyrics are to sexually explicit! Do children go to your carnivals?

#9 Sep 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:

The lyrics are to sexually explicit! Do children go to your carnivals?

Not just the lyrics some people have absolutely no respect for themselves or those around them. The last time I went a few years back some guy wearing a kilt kept lifting the kilt to show his long appendage even in front of the police. And the police did nothing.

The children could probably sing every verse better than their times table.

Last edited by Expat (Sep 05, 2019 6:55 pm)

Board footer