You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 05, 2019 3:47 am

Calypso
Active

Sure Clothes but no Brains: Africa's Trend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H36MDvP3GnU

It just sinks you into deeper poverty.

#2 Sep 05, 2019 8:14 am

Slice
Active

Re: Sure Clothes but no Brains: Africa's Trend

Pure stupidity.  Then again ah bunch ah Trinis are exactly the same.  Now you know why ah doh trust Africans

#3 Sep 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:

Pure stupidity.  Then again ah bunch ah Trinis are exactly the same.  Now you know why ah doh trust Africans

Don't be a paranoid when it  come to Africans for they are alright. They keep their families in poverty just to dress like a million dollars. They are like some of the Afro and Caribbean-Americans I've met. Appearance is all but responsibility and education take second place in their lives.

#4 Sep 07, 2019 5:48 pm

New Historian
Active

Francophone Africans are far more fashion conscious than their Anglophone neighbours, and the Congolese are the most fashion-crazy of all. I wanted to see for myself the famous “Sapeurs” (Societe des Ambianceurs et des Personnes Elegantes) – Congolese men for whom clothes are king, followed closely by music and dancing. War, strife, poverty, hunger – nothing will get in the way of their pursuit of sartorial elegance. You see them everywhere in Kinshasa, strutting like peacocks in their Dior shirts (real, never fake) and crocodile shoes. They may earn only ten dollars by day, but half of that will gladly go towards a shoeshine and laundry service to keep those creases razor sharp. Truly a sight to behold.

#5 Sep 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Francophone Africans are far more fashion conscious than their Anglophone neighbours, and the Congolese are the most fashion-crazy of all. I wanted to see for myself the famous “Sapeurs” (Societe des Ambianceurs et des Personnes Elegantes) – Congolese men for whom clothes are king, followed closely by music and dancing. War, strife, poverty, hunger – nothing will get in the way of their pursuit of sartorial elegance. You see them everywhere in Kinshasa, strutting like peacocks in their Dior shirts (real, never fake) and crocodile shoes. They may earn only ten dollars by day, but half of that will gladly go towards a shoeshine and laundry service to keep those creases razor sharp. Truly a sight to behold.

And what about their families? But oh, you are the educated, well-traveled one who loves to screw while your family suffers!

#6 Sep 07, 2019 8:10 pm

New Historian
Active

What the [f word] are you talking about? If you can't keep a civil tongue in your head then I'd appreciate if if you shut the [f word] up.

#7 Sep 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Slice wrote:

Don't be a paranoid when it  come to Africans for they are alright. They keep their families in poverty just to dress like a million dollars. They are like some of the Afro and Caribbean-Americans I've met. Appearance is all but responsibility and education take second place in their lives.

And that's alright?

#8 Sep 08, 2019 2:11 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Slice wrote:

And that's alright?

My semantics is off the wall. Africans are alright people.  The Dandies are something else.

#9 Sep 08, 2019 9:03 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Meanwhile, back in the wealthy Western world, rich people dress like impoverished, disheveled children.

Distressed-Jeans.jpg

distressed-jeans-sneakers-640x960.jpg

#10 Sep 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Vanni
Active

I am speaking humbly, knowing by experience my own vulnerability and fallibility.

There are levels up in life. One is to be confronted to a somehow bullying society which, through its misplaced sense of value, via advertisements, as well as through its celebs and even politicians sometimes, attempts to make us feel worthy only if we are "like this". And only if we are a doctor, a lawyer - cleaning someone else's excrements in the sewers, while vital for our society is considered as unworthy and finds too little gratitude.

Such sense of value is utterly fleeting and ends up into bitter disappointment. And for whoever of us who invested his/her own sense of value into the periphery, having taken the challenge by trying to feel worthy by following fashion, wearing a certain perfume, practicing a profession in which they are unhappy, but it is being well considered and lucrative ... until feeling so empty, that we can't handle it any more and couldn't care less about someone else's constricting judgment, turning inwards to find our core value. A lasting one.

Regardless of race, culture, class, religion ...

Thanks to practicing yoga and qigong, I can cultivate such values.

And still, the more I'm aging, the less I am feeling well with myself. Just no more the young and attractive one I used to be, an image I am still cherishing. So: some work to do.

It's a long process, it takes so much compassion, and, if I may add: one life is not enough.

Last edited by Vanni (Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm)

Board footer