You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 05, 2019 7:41 pm

Dancer
Active

What is the Harlem Renaissance ?

Who was Alan  Locke  ?  I googled him. - - The reporter of ....  ( heard so much about that time ,    ------------   do some homework  )

The Harlem renaissance was an intellectual , social , and artistic explosion centered in Harlem New York , spanning the 1920's.
As that time it was known as the 'new Negro Movement' - named after  ' The New Negro ' - a 1925 Anthology edited by Alain Locke.

The origins of the Harlem Renaissance lie in the great migration of the early 20th , when thousands of black people migrated from the south. The came to the North and Mid west regions of the US.

* Not paying too much attention to it ( not a Poetry or prose U student ). I thought of it mainly  as ...'as having a ball'  music etc  ??. ( could explain it better but ,  am still  reading ) Oh,  I know of the writers of that period . *

So I am learning scholarly . LO.  ::    AN Introduction To The Harlem Renaissance.
Poetry Foundation: Tracing the poetic work of this crucial cultural period and artistic movement.
NB  :  Great picture of a street in Harlem's shopping district during the 1930's.
* The guys and gals were dapper then too.

Google.

#2 Sep 05, 2019 9:39 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: What is the Harlem Renaissance ?

In addition to the nightclubs of Harlem and jazz and a lot of plain fun, the Renaissance marked the emergence of Black Consciousness through seminal figures like Garvey and DuBois. My father was an ardent Garveyite and Pan-Africanist, even as far back as the 1930's. In 1941 my father spent a week in NY in 1941 en route to war-torn England to "do his bit" for the Mother Country. He told us about going to the world famous Apollo Theater and not understanding a word of what the Harlem “hep cats” were saying to him!

#3 Sep 05, 2019 10:34 pm

New Historian
Active

Correction: my GRANDfather was an ardent Garveyite...

#4 Sep 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Dancer
Active

Well New Historian , you've got some progressive genes.  Well , what do you know ?. lol.

The Roaring Twenties  too .    PROHIBITION .

The Volstead Act Jan 1920  ........ .... " at one minute after midnight  tonight  ; the story began  " America will become an entirely arid desert as far as alcoholics are concerned , and drinkables containing more than 1/2 of 1 % alcohol being forbidden. "

Prohibition lasted about 14 years.  Guns and Gangs.

Board footer