You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Sep 06, 2019 9:23 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Robert Mugabe Dies

HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) — Former Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe, an ex-guerrilla chief who took power after independence from white minority rule in 1980 and presided over a country whose early promise was eroded by economic turmoil and allegations of human rights violations, has died in Singapore at the age of 95.

Mugabe enjoyed strong support among the population and even the West soon after taking over as Prime Minister and Zimbabwe’s first post-colonial leader. But he was reviled in later years as the economy collapsed and human rights violations increased. His often violent takeover of farms from whites who owned huge tracts of land made him a hated figure in the West and a hero in Africa.

His successor President Emmerson Mnangagwa announced Mugabe’s death in a tweet Friday, mourning him as an “icon of liberation.”

https://www.apnews.com/a4431dbe792b4a33814e25ca75b4bb68

#2 Sep 06, 2019 9:47 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Robert Mugabe Dies

Only the good die young.

#3 Sep 06, 2019 3:26 pm

New Historian
Active

As you know I lived in Zimbabwe under him for many years, and I can only say “it’s complicated”. It’s like when you were young your father was great and played with you and you loved him. But then he became old and alcoholic and abusive, you hate what he’s become but can you really stop loving him?

And since he was forced from power, NOTHING in Zim has changed, so people are asking: what was that all about then?

#4 Sep 06, 2019 3:30 pm

New Historian
Active

For example, the Facebook chat from the original post says it all:

Robert Gabriel Mugabe! While others choose to vilify and attack you some of us will focus on the Good you did for Zimbabwe! RIP

I agree he was the father of our liberatoration no matter what, people always choose to remember the bad , and not the good you also did ....
Hide or report this
· Reply · 10h
Musindo Musonza
Musindo Musonza I agree totally..
Hide or report this
· Reply · 10h
Anderson L R Danda
Anderson L R Danda Amen to that, may his soul Rest In Peace.Its only when you mature in politics that you will appreciate and understand what this man did for us. No man is perfect, Mugabe is our hero full stop.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 10h · Edited
Shayne Karim
Shayne Karim Yes did Good for one sids of the country yet Mass Murdered our Families # Gukurahundi.
#devilsalsodie.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 10h
Mambokadzi Amelia Arutura Aluko-King
Mambokadzi Amelia Arutura Aluko-King Shayne Karim what do you say to some of us that lost grandparents during Ian Smith's regime
Hide or report this
· Reply · 4h
Basil Usher
Basil Usher We member both sides and move forward
Hide or report this
· Reply · 10h
Carl Joshua Ncube
Carl Joshua Ncube The only good is what Zimbabweans did for themselves coz of his screw ups...he gets credit for our hard work
Hide or report this
· Reply · 10h
Q Dube Siziba
Q Dube Siziba F him
Hide or report this
· Reply · 9h
Jacob Majongwe Agere
Jacob Majongwe Agere That's were boys are seperated from men , this man liberated Zimbabwe, he spend more than 10 years in jail without a trial ,
Hide or report this
· Reply · 9h
Carmen Layton
Carmen Layton I agree
Hide or report this
· Reply · 9h
Humma Homan
Humma Homan Amen sister Rhoda ??
Hide or report this
· Reply · 9h
Nermolla Rama
Nermolla Rama I am with you on this one Rhoda, he could have done what Idi Amin did, expell all Asians from Zimbabwe, but he did not. For that, we are thankful.
May his soul find peace.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 8h
Moira Moodley
Moira Moodley I agree with one aspect only, that is to not vilify the dead. God alone is the judge.
We ought to start thinking positively too, all these dark and negative thoughts don’t separate one from the so called unsuccessful leadership.....perhaps people sho…See More
Hide or report this
· Reply · 7h · Edited
Nina Mullin Beverley Gill
Nina Mullin Beverley Gill We all lost someone or something, and others gained during Mugabe's Presidential term but to say I hated the man means I've lost a part of my soul. Hate to me eventually destroys the hater while the dead stay dead. Take a deep breath and keep your thoughts private. Peace!!!
Hide or report this
· Reply · 7h
Moira Moodley
Moira Moodley Nina Mullin Beverley Gill I would go further to say watch your thoughts, they become your destiny!
Hide or report this
· Reply · 7h
Trevor Carr
Trevor Carr
??????
Hide or report this
· Reply · 6h
Colleen Katiyo
Colleen Katiyo Yes! As a black person I’m free in my own land because of him - racism has no place in our country because of him. 11 years in prison just to free me...Always will be my hero. Thank you RGM...Rest easy my liberator!
Hide or report this
· Reply · 5h · Edited
Peter Hunda
Peter Hunda A very bold and courageous thing he did was on the land albeit it has hiccups but its done and dusted RIP Gushungo noone is perfect
Hide or report this
· Reply · 4h
Mary Langeveldt
Mary Langeveldt Mr President! Indeed bold and courageous. Rest in eternal peace.

#5 Sep 06, 2019 4:20 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Psalm 146:3-5 King James Version (KJV)

3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

#6 Sep 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Only the good die young.

He led a long and  fruitful life. RD we are from two different spheres but he gave Africans a chance and he was not brutal as the Europeans who colonized Africa. White and black blood must be shed to make way for a generation of black Africans  to have more economic power in heir own country.

RIP Mugabe!

#7 Sep 06, 2019 6:40 pm

New Historian
Active

"and he was not brutal"

Ahem, point of order, he w a brutal motherf*cker, I saw his results.

#8 Sep 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Expat
Active

Yes he did good, and he was given a LOT of leeway by Britain, America, and Europe where they closed their eyes to some of his brutality "for the greater good".

Europeans could be expected to fault him for the barbarity of the take over of white owned farms, but with his tacit support it was not just the whites that were brutalised by the mobs he encouraged, it was many many black people that worked for, and were happy to work for those white farmers. What makes it worse was that the reclamation of land was only encouraged because he was not in a strong position, and there was unrest, which could have had him removed from power.

Under his corrupt and brutal reign the country went from the bread basket of Africa to the cripple of Africa with godzillion inflation.

Where our black brothers and sisters jump up and down and say how wonderful he was, RIP and all that BS, he killed many hundreds if not thousands of HIS OWN PEOPLE. Just like Gairy and his mongoose gang.

His original actions against the Smith Regime would have been supported by many, including me. Just because I am white does not mean I approve of oppressive white regimes. But after election he became a power crazed monster who should have died many years ago if their was any justice in the world.

Despite my Atheism, I have to use the expression thank God there is one less arsehole in the World.

Last edited by Expat (Sep 06, 2019 6:50 pm)

#9 Sep 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:

Yes he did good, and he was given a LOT of leeway by Britain, America, and Europe where they closed their eyes to some of his brutality "for the greater good".

Europeans could be expected to fault him for the barbarity of the take over of white owned farms, but with his tacit support it was not just the whites that were brutalised by the mobs he encouraged, it was many many black people that worked for, and were happy to work for those white farmers. What makes it worse was that the reclamation of land was only encouraged because he was not in a strong position, and there was unrest, which could have had him removed from power.

Under his corrupt and brutal reign the country went from the bread basket of Africa to the cripple of Africa with godzillion inflation.

Where our black brothers and sisters jump up and down and say how wonderful he was, RIP and all that BS, he killed many hundreds if not thousands of HIS OWN PEOPLE. Just like Gairy and his mongoose gang.

His original actions against the Smith Regime would have been supported by many, including me. Just because I am white does not mean I approve of oppressive white regimes. But after election he became a power crazed monster who should have died many years ago if their was any justice in the world.

Despite my Atheism, I have to use the expression thank God there is one less arsehole in the World.

We are entitled to our opinions. Thank you Mr. President.

#10 Sep 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"and he was not brutal"

Ahem, point of order, he w a brutal motherf*cker, I saw his results.

Calypso seems to be living in an alternative universe where, simply because the tyrant is black makes it OK, as he's one of "us".

Board footer